Spy Shot: BMW M3 (2006)

No more inline six.

I have mixted thoughts on that.

I love V8's

But the Inline six has always sorta been the M3's engine.

Jasruler said:
No more inline six.

I have mixted thoughts on that.

I love V8's

But the Inline six has always sorta been the M3's engine.

You could say it's a natural progression - the first M3 was a four cylinder.

I agree though - for me M3 = I6, it just seems right for some reason

flyingfridge said:
The whole M4 thing is of course rumors because it has not been confirmed. What has been confirmed and IS official, is that the 3 series coupe will be called the 4 series. So it is only common sense that the next 2 door WOW car from BMW will be called the M4, NOT M3.
Find me official word from BMW that the 3-series coupe will, in fact, be called the 4-series. And good luck finding one newer than 2004.

In fact...I'll spare you the arduous task of finding something that isn't there. In 2004, BMW announced that they were considering naming all coupe versions of their vehicles evenly (2-series, 4-series, etc), but this plan hasn't been mentioned since. It has reportedly been decided against.

yea... somehow I have mixed feelings of the V8 replacing the Straight-6... I know the V8 Engines make an amazing sound, my parents came over for a week and rented a V8 Ford Falcon and I had a blast driving it but somehow the M3 and straight-6 goes together...

andyhui01 said:
yea... somehow I have mixed feelings of the V8 replacing the Straight-6... I know the V8 Engines make an amazing sound, my parents came over for a week and rented a V8 Ford Falcon and I had a blast driving it but somehow the M3 and straight-6 goes together...
Natural progression. The E30's I4 seemed to do the job just fine, but the I6 was even better.

This happens when a major change occurs with any beloved vehicle. Just go with it...BMW knows what they're doing.

Remember, the M5 was an inline-six car before the E39, and I think we can all agree that the V8 was a good idea! :D

chaos386 said:
Remember, the M5 was an inline-six car before the E39, and I think we can all agree that the V8 was a good idea! :D

Actually I prefer (and want) an E34 M5
bmw_m5_e34.jpg

Yes sir, that'll do me nicely :drool:

I'm just hoping that BMW keeps an option for the old reliable 6spd manual trans instead of the SMG.

Sure, the SMG is great around a track and blahblahblah... I don't want a 7spd tranny that's made of paper, difficult to park, annoyingly jerky at times, and costs a bunch more money. Silly to think Cadillac's CTS-V is the only true manual in that class.

Yes i agree!!! Don't kill the old manual!! There is nothing better than playing the manual gearbox of a high performance car like a musical instrument. It's just right.

I'm worried about the next GT-R too. It's supposedly going to have a 7 speed sequential gearbox. Rumor has it there will be no manual option....