Spy Shot: Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Overheat

Forum Addict
A very minor refresh for the E next year; some restyling of the taillights, and small upgrades to the cabin. Expect also minor modifications to the suspension and steering, as Mercedes is concerned about losing ground to the more driver-focussed new 5-Series.

New direct-injection petrol engines may also make their debut, though these may be saved for the next, more major overhaul in late 2007.

The new-generation 2008 E-Class is to also gain M-B's new camless units with electrically-driven valvetrains; word is that Mercedes is moving away from supercharging in favour of the much-improved turbo technology now around.

A hybrid version is also rumoured. The 2008 E-Class is also said to have a usefully larger cabin, and high-tech kit such as head-up displays, night vision, lane departure warnings and advanced sat nav.

MercE-class-fl-005.jpg
MercE-class-fl-002.jpg

MercE-class-fl-003.jpg
MercE-class-fl-004.jpg

The front looks very dated now, I remember when it had a refresh last year it looked good for a Merc, not now tho. The back doesn't offend tho, it looks a little plain...

fbc said:
Agreed - the whole thing is looking very staid and tired
Your right, terrible choice of colour, "Elegance" spec wheels which are BORING!! For an E-Class to look good, you should get "Avantgarde" spec wheels and metallic black paintwork like our E-Class. Much better then. Also add in the double glass moonroof and it looks like a proper prestige Mercedes :D

Few things I hope they fix for the update model:
Ability to scroll through radio presets via steering wheel and not just scan the frequencies-Dont know why it was made like that :?
Also, replace the cupholders in the center armrest in the back with rubber alternatives because they can sometimes rattle.

Otherwise the E-Class is good for a few more years!

E should have been replaced by the CLS instead of living along. Currently E looks like a japanese copy of the CLS. No personality what so ever.

DJ said:
E should have been replaced by the CLS instead of living along. Currently E looks like a japanese copy of the CLS. No personality what so ever.

the CLS can't be the replacement of the E-class... they are both very different in the market category... the E-class is a proper sedan wherelse the CLS is a coupe that has 4 doors... although they are both based on the same thing, they are used very differently... plus the CLS only sits 4 compared to 5 in the E-class

andyhui01 said:
DJ said:

the CLS can't be the replacement of the E-class... they are both very different in the market category... the E-class is a proper sedan wherelse the CLS is a coupe that has 4 doors... although they are both based on the same thing, they are used very differently... plus the CLS only sits 4 compared to 5 in the E-class
Correct andy. Also, Mercedes have to stay true to a few principles one of which include always having a normal small, medium and large size vehicle range. Thats why the C,E and S-Class models all have the "3-pointed star" standing up and then the rest like the CLS have it on the grill.

4 door coupe is a buzzword. I believe the correct term in english for that is oximoron or sth.

Coupe has 2 doors. Period. Just like a bike has 2 wheels.

CLS is IMHO a sport sedan. Something that the BMW5 used to be before that idiot took over the design a few years ago.

Back on topic, have you sat in the CLS? The front seats have the same or even more space and I couldn't spot a big difference in the back either. OK, so there's only 2 instead of 3 seats, but not because of the lack of space. 3 seats could easily be fitted (they probably weren't in order to make CLS more luxurius and to justify that price tag).

@ SL65AMG: DaimlerChryler's sales are far from good. Shockingly, Mercedes is to blame. And having the whole alphabet as range probably isn't helping. My tip to MB: put some diesel engines in the CLS, make the basic model much more basic and sell it for 20% less money than you're selling the 350 now, get rid of the E and watch BMW 5 series die. I predict that only the most conservative buyers will go for A6. All others stay + you get the BMW buyers.

Just MHO.

The E-CLass is looking like an old man's car now. No character about it at all.

Hopefully they make it somewhat exciting with the next update they do.

SL65AMG said:
Thats why the C,E and S-Class models all have the "3-pointed star" standing up

I never knew that :lol:... I always wondered why it was only the C,E and S with the 3-pointed star

fbc said:
jasonchiu said:
i dont see the difference

Looks to be just the tailights that have changed

They're not even new tails, just the ones from the CLK. :lol:

Looks pretty boring and typical, not trying to get any attention. With some good super-charged engines, could be a good sleeper car. Makes sense if you're old and fat though, you don't want people looking in at your wrinkly skin and grey hair/baldspot. :p

these minor face lifts in my opinion are just to prolong the life cycle of a product by mercedes

jasonchiu said:
these minor face lifts in my opinion are just to prolong the life cycle of a product by mercedes

Umm yes they are, that's the whole point of minor facelifts by *any* manufacturer.

The E-Class always seems to date quickly. For some reason it always looks old and tired less than a year after it is realeased.

Maybe it's a statement about the people who buy them...

flyingfridge said:
The E-Class always seems to date quickly. For some reason it always looks old and tired less than a year after it is realeased.

Maybe it's a statement about the people who buy them...

You could be on to something there :D

I can understand if you think the E-Class is 'boring' or whatever its just that Mercedes is all about understated luxury. They dont need bold new looks that try and shout a message at you like a 5-Series does, its all about class and tradition ;)
397380a2001f6875__mid.jpg

397369a2001f6874__mid.jpg

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:

I've always loved the model 3rd from the bottom... The lines of the car, although a tad boxy, are nicer than the more modern ones.

Get it in black, tint the windows and chuck on some Brabus rims... PIMP