Spy Shots: Scion FR-S caught prepping for 'Ring runs

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
Looks (from what I can tell) like a stylish competitor to the Genesis Coupe.

Source: Autoblog

We've been waiting, rather patiently we might add, for Toyota to bring out its latest sports car for what seems like millenniums. This new coupe will be wearing a Scion badge and go by the name FR-S, which stands for "front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sport." It's the "R" and "S" that has enthusiasts eager to lay eyes on this Scion in the flesh. A concept version was trotted out at the 2011 New York Auto Show, but spy photographers managed to capture a camo-covered development mule adding "Germany" to the stamps in its passport book.

What specific area of Germany, you ask? Just a little town called N?rburg, which is home to a slice of asphalt you may have heard of before. This means Toyota engineers are fine-tuning the sports car, and the N?rburgring is sure to provide lots of data points for them to dissect. Data points make engineers happy, and happy engineers make fun-to-drive cars.

Looking over the pics, it appears those engineers have ditched the concept's rear diffuser but added in a rear spoiler. We can't wait to see what else is in store once that swirls come off.

scionfr-sn01kgped.jpg

scionfr-sn02kgped.jpg

scionfr-sn03kgped.jpg

scionfr-sn04kgped.jpg

scionfr-sn05kgped.jpg

scionfr-sn06kgped.jpg

scionfr-sn07kgped.jpg

scionfr-sn08kgped.jpg

scionfr-sn09kgped.jpg

scionfr-sn10kgped.jpg

scionfr-sn11kgped.jpg

03-scion-fr-s-spy-shots-carpix.jpg

06-scion-fr-s-spy-shots-carpix.jpg

Full Gallery

Scion..... NA market only then : (

At least Scion will finally have something interesting. It's a shame boxer engine seem to fail after minimal mods though. Still going to be a sweet car, I'll have to give it a test drive whenever it hits our shores.

Isn't this the FT-86 concept? If so, the engine is OK: 2.0L: 200hp: 2500-2600lb weight overall weight.

well there should be loads of mods for that motor.

if not turbo then it shouldn't really be a big problem swapping for a STI motor.
we will probably see that in the near future, should be hell of a toy with a turbo boxer

It'll be released elsewhere, just badged a Toyota. And Subaru, of course. Both of which are more desirable than Scion.

I would say most young people (under 30?) in North America would actually prefer a Scion badge over a Toyota one. Scion is kind of established now, and it doesn't have to share its logo with such bores as the Corolla.

are they still gonna sell the Tc now? it seems like they overlap too much and people will go for this instead.

The tC is a little sporty coupe, the FR-S is a low end sports car. Well, that's my view of it anyway.

I would say most young people (under 30?) in North America would actually prefer a Scion badge over a Toyota one. Scion is kind of established now, and it doesn't have to share its logo with such bores as the Corolla.

Maybe, maybe not. The average age of an xB buyer is... 46. And the xB is their best selling model.

I would say more that most young people's reaction to the Scion badge is a great big yawn. This might be what they need to get more young people actively looking at the brand instead of stepping over to the Toyota side of the house and buying a Corolla.

Last edited:
My view may be affected by the fact that, because of this forum, I'm aware of some of the awesome Toyota's done in the past outside of the Supra(which I don't really like that much), but as a 24 year old with a Scion, I'd prefer to see this as a Toyota. Scion is largely for old people who want a young car, and young people who want to pretend they have a Supra or GTR.

If nothing else, we should thank Toyota for helping us get back to the good ole days: small(ish), cheap, and sporty RWD coupes. Between this car, the Genesis Coupe, the V6 Camaro/Mustang, and the rumored RX-9, I think we're heading in the right direction and it will certainly make the used car market a lot more interesting ten years from now.

I would say more that most young people's reaction to the Scion badge is a great big yawn. This might be what they need to get more young people actively looking at the brand instead of stepping over to the Toyota side of the house and buying a Corolla.
Well, the Scion brand was originally about getting the younger demographics buying "My First Toyota", with the idea that once they "grow out" of their Scion's, they'll get "proper" Toyotae.

Except that idea never really took off. With the xA, yes, there were Toyota translations. With the xB, it actually had a range of demographics going from Toyota to Scion. With the tC, there has never been a "grown up" sports car to move into... and in fact, there's been an exodus of tC owners going to the Genesis because of that.