Star Citizen needs YOU to pledge. So what have you pledged?

Yarrrrr, matey! :cheers:
thanks to adrian, I will also spend my time aboard a cutlass :)

Last edited:
I currently only have a Freelancer as I donated my 325a too the Idris-M project. I will be getting a Cutlass as my main ship in the next few weeks though! :D

Currently I have bought the Origin Jumpworks 325A for fighting and Drake Interplanetary Cutlass for more of an multipurpose role.

You planning to join UPTEC Tobias?

I have a Constellation, Origin M50, Origin 315p, Origin 325a (which I intend to upgrade to a Anvil Hornet F7A when it comes out) and a Kruger P-52 Merlin, as well as a 30% stake in the Idris-M variant.

No, my ps2 outfit is gonna be star citizens so I will be with them primarily.

Spent $40 on the basic Digital Mercenary to get Alpha/Beta access. Aurora MR is pretty cool, I'm liking the spacebed. :D

hngngnnnNN! i'm so annoyed i have no ship to run around in :| oh well, at least with the last artworks that got released i know what it's going to look like, sort of... and i like it :)

(for reference: cutlass YARRRRR!)

Once the Cutlass is released in hangar, it's going to take all my self control not to buy one. I mean, it would only be $60 more than what I've already paid... :p

_This_ is their business-model. And I am not really liking it.

No, this is their incentive to pledge model. None of these ships actually give anyone a unique advantage, it isn't "Pay to Win". Everything that can be brought can be earned in the final game upon release.

If you don't like it, give them no money, or set yourself a budget and stick too it. I may have sunk a lot into this game but I have an upper limit. I know what that is, and I will not go over it. I don't expect the same of anyone else. In fact, I would recommend TerranCmdr actually stayed as he is. But ultimately if he decides he wants a Cutlass, he will get one.

This is the same thing that happens with every crowd funding project in existence. They create hype, and artificial value. The fact I have dumped so much money into it is because I trust them to deliver, and I accept the risk. If it wasn't reputable people with histories, and talent, and motivation, I would invest less. As I did with Distance, another game I pledged for.

This is not, thomas, an entity trying to sell you a product, it's an entity trying to ask for investment. Difference is, unlike traditional investment, we receive the RoI not in monetary income, but in a quality product. But like any investment, there is risk.

Anyone over pledging isn't just a reflection on RSI creating artificial value, hype, etc, which is what you're looking at isolation: it's a reflection on individual pledger's ability to judge risk vs reward, make sound investment decisions, and their own personal financial situation. No one holding a gun to TerranCmdr's head and saying "YOU MUST GET THE CUTLASS OR YOU WILL BE AT A DISADVANTAGE." In fact, from what I know of the cutlass, with a bit of practice, I could probably take it out with an Aurora, the most basic ship in the game, especially if it was flown solo.

In fact you're indirectly falling right into the trap I have seen countless times on the RSI forums, the "I'm a special flower" syndrome. People have invested hundreds of dollars, sometimes thousands, without actually understanding what that means. Then they get all pissed off when RSI removes their "special flower" status. For example, there was much rage when the Caterpillar went up for sale this weekend. But these people, fortunately, are in the minority. And as much as I feel sorry for them for their ignorance, at the same time, no one should spend any money without being educating as to what they are getting. Lucky for you, you're finding that your mental model of it is flawed before you put any money down.

And frankly thomas, that's a good thing. You may feel like it's dishonest, or deceptive, and to a certain degree you are right. But I think you're missing something: RSI has an obligation to try and "sink the whales" by creating artificial value, so the majority can experience the product at a reasonable price. And they're doing it in such a way that doesn't disadvantage anyone. I'd much rather this model than pathetic money grabbing "Pay to Win" time games which are, quite frankly, not very respectful of my time as a player.

From all that well written bit not really much saying text, I just want to reply to two sections:

You may feel like it's dishonest, or deceptive, and to a certain degree you are right.
Dishonest, no, deceptive, yes, just not in a rob-a-bank-degree of it.

And they're doing it in such a way that doesn't disadvantage anyone.
THAT is imo a point they still have to prove. As soon as they did that to a degree that satisfies me and they actually put some usable and compareable information behind all the nicely created data that the ships have (so you can actually see what is an actual advantage and whats not, and what is and what is not a unchangeable preset), I will happily support them.

This is my main gripe, I am in general somewhat disappointed that they focused so hard on the presentation of all the stuff, without providing all that many actual facts regarding the game. Clearly from a marketing point of view they sold a nice presentation to a lot of people. From my economical position they didn't deliver nowhere near enough. But apparently there are way more people out there buying into nice artwork then actual results.

Again, I am not trying to make this bad, not at all, I am merely trying to bring some realism back into what is more than just a long-term investment.

Dishonest, no, deceptive, yes, just not in a rob-a-bank-degree of it.

a.k.a. marketing. As you said:

Clearly from a marketing point of view they sold a nice presentation to a lot of people.

Now a few things that I think you're missing. I apologise if I didn't actually explain this, but it's assumed knowledge for most backers. I thank you, I have consequently reassessed what is or isn't assumed knowledge.

THAT is imo a point they still have to prove. As soon as they did that to a degree that satisfies me and they actually put some usable and compareable information behind all the nicely created data that the ships have (so you can actually see what is an actual advantage and whats not, and what is and what is not a unchangeable preset), I will happily support them.

The problem with this is two fold:

1) They haven't done any balancing because they don't have a working prototype. That fancy video showing the Scythe fighting the Hornet, that was scripted. What is available right now, some "nice art assets" a few "stats" and a limited hanger module, that's it, that's all they have. The prototype for balancing will be the pre-alpha dogfighting module, which we, the backers, will be testing. The best way to ensure that a single ship doesn't have a (game breaking) advantage is too help them test it.

2) As previously stated by me, and no this isn't wishful thinking on my part, this is the development teams every intention, and one that they can achieve because they have already got the majority of the game funding they need, is everything that can be brought can be earned in the final game upon release. In other words if you're in one of the less effective ships, you will have an opportunity to upgrade, and are not "locked out" of higher tier ships because you didn't want to put down the extra money for them.

You're requiring them to have already done the balancing at this point in time, when they are not physically able too. It may be a requirement for you to invest, but once again, Caveat emptor. If you don't want to invest until they get the combat balancing right, that's your prerogative.

This is my main gripe, I am in general somewhat disappointed that they focused so hard on the presentation of all the stuff, without providing all that many actual facts regarding the game.

So you're effectively disappointed that they focused on what they have? If this was a normal game development, everything you're seeing, the alien race ideas, the mechanics, all of it would be fully fleshed out before the public even got a glimpse of it.

What you need to understand is this is unprecedented. Chris Roberts original intention was to get a couple of million bucks, and say "Okay guys, great you're interested, we've proved our concept will be profitable, so now we're going to approach a publisher and we'll see you all in 2 years with an alpha." As they got more and more funding they said "Fuck the publisher, we can do this ourselves, but we therefore will have to in house everything". This means that everything, and I mean everything, you see now, is an early prototype. The modified CryEngine3, the ship models, even the stats, it's all subject to change. And what you see, with the exception of a couple of surprises they don't want to spoil for obvious reasons (i.e. Squadron 42), or is too "raw", what they have published is what they have.

From my economical position they didn't deliver nowhere near enough.

I must stress, I'm not suggesting you modify your economic position, if you want to see some ships in an effective dog fight, properly balanced, ships properly stated, and that's when you'll say "Hey, they've got something here", then that's perfectly acceptable. What I am asking you to understand is that you're economic position and RSI's economic position are not even close to aligning. They are 6 months, at minimum, away from the point you seem to be expecting of them right now. In other words, you need to reassess your expectations if you want to look at what is on the table right now. If you don't want to do that, then you're going to get into a lot of arguments like this one, where we tell you nothing much of consequence towards your decision of pledging, or not.

Again, I am not trying to make this bad, not at all, I am merely trying to bring some realism back into what is more than just a long-term investment.

A commendable goal. And if you think I am hostile towards this, I apologise. I believe our goals are more aligned that otherwise here. You wish to bring rational thinking into what is, for most, an emotional decision right now, and so do I. I'm not going to be arrogant enough to suggest "I don't make emotional decisions", but I must point out, I have higher functioning autism, and Star Citizen, for better of worse, has become one of my areas of "focus". This means I know a lot about it, and have an huge, almost character defining, desire to learn everything I can. For this reason, although their is an emotional element to my decision to pledge as much as I have, ultimately there are very rational justifications as well.

Last edited:
What you need to understand is this is unprecedented. Chris Roberts original intention was to get a couple of million bucks, and say "Okay guys, great you're interested, we've proved our concept will be profitable, so now we're going to approach a publisher and we'll see you all in 2 years with an alpha." As they got more and more funding they said "Fuck the publisher, we can do this ourselves, but we therefore will have to in house everything". This means that everything, and I mean everything, you see now, is an early prototype. The modified CryEngine3, the ship models, even the stats, it's all subject to change. And what you see, with the exception of a couple of surprises they don't want to spoil for obvious reasons (i.e. Squadron 42), or is too "raw", what they have published is what they have.

IMO this is the single most impressive thing they've done so far. Their initial aim was to get 2-3 million in crowdfunding, then get some 6million from investors for an initial release, then follow up with a bunch of expansions. What happened instead was that the game made 9million by the time the kickstarter ended (and matching the initial budget in the process). Consequently, they started revealing the rest of their plans as they got more money in, that got more players interest, which in turn got more pledges done.

Then the hangar was released, and everyone got to take a good look at what has been achieved so far. This sparked a flurry as people started investing more (myself being one of those people), a 3million dollar boost iirc.

To me the most impressive thing about Star Citizen is that it will be a mostly, if not completely crowdfunded triple-A game, that is targeting the PC medium first and foremost. And they have the talent to pull it off. :D

I'm thinking about getting a combo of the Hornet and Cutlass. Too bad the Super Hornet isn't for sale anymore, because the Combo of a Super Hornet and Cutlass would be awesome.