DONOR
Car(s)
'00 M539, '94 Cadillac Fleetwood, '16 Focus Wagon

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
DONOR
Car(s)
1979 Opel Kadett | 1972 Ford Country Sedan
How does Discovery fit into that order, given it was released after the list was made. It should be pretty early in there, but does it matter much with the mirror university and all?
Discovery slots in between the first pilot ("The Cage" feat. Pike - not broadcast in the 60s) and proper Kirk TOS. Since Discovery heavily relies on Talos IV and the things that happen there, this distinction is important.

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
DONOR
Car(s)
So basically one should start with Discovery and then work off that list. Well, discarding the discarded pilot.
Watching the discarded pilot really helps with Discovery. It gives an in-timeline glimpse at the OMG THEY ARE GOING TO THALOS IV moment you got having watched all Trek before.

EDIT: Also, the timeline in the article moves Enterprise almost all the way to the end; probably because it played fast and lose with the canon to a degree that makes it apocryphal. But if you want to stay with the in-universe timeline, you'll have to Quantum Leap into Enterprise first.

thomas

Grouchy Beemer Owner
STAFF MEMBER
DONOR
Car(s)
'00 M539, '94 Cadillac Fleetwood, '16 Focus Wagon
You mean the 2009ish enterprise as a starting point then? I don't know.. I feel starting with TOS just feels "right" even if it's out of order..

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
DONOR
Car(s)
You mean the 2009ish enterprise as a starting point then? I don't know.. I feel starting with TOS just feels "right" even if it's out of order..
I mean the 2001-ish Enterprise with Scott "Quantum Leap" Bacula as Captain Archer. Your feeling basically echoes the sentiment of the article linked above.

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
I dreamt that I woke up this morning to Patrick Stewart's obituary.

Thankfully it was just a dream.

CrzRsn

Mr. Fedewhatever
DONOR
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
Meanwhile I'm almost done with season 3 TOS. Thinking I'm going to skip TAS just like the first time I tried to go through ST.

CrzRsn

Mr. Fedewhatever
DONOR
Car(s)
Finished TOS S3 and went straight into The Motion Picture. I find it funny how in the 10 years between the two, you lost all the goofy colorful walls and big buttons on the Enterprise in favor of a more silver/black/beige sci-fi look. Same goes for the uniforms. And putting blue glow on the warp nacelles instead of the disco light show on the leaking face. Gotta stick with whats cool for the times, I guess.

CrzRsn

Mr. Fedewhatever
DONOR
Car(s)

GRtak

Forum Addict
As far as TOS movies goes, you are not going to get much from 3, 4, and 5. Those 3 movies only serve to (spoiler ahead) bring Spock back, make jokes about LA in the 80s, and I don't know what they were trying with 5.

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
DONOR
Car(s)
I think Star Trek 4 is pretty solid as far as eco-conscious comedy goes.

EDIT: AFAIK Nimoy got the director's role on ST:4 as a condition of him coming back as Spcok, so ST:5 was about letting Shatner direct in order to treat him equl to Nimoy. That was the film's only purpose, and it shows.

GRtak

Forum Addict
Yes, 4 was funny, and the save the Earth message, but it does not really add much to the history.

Spoiler Text: (Click here to toggle display)
Five was trying to be some sort of Atheist message, but as an Atheist, I even admit it fell flat.

Spoiler Text: (Click here to toggle display)
Three really only had two things besides Spock coming back. Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon, and the death of Kirk's son. Six has what you need to know covered on that.

CrzRsn

Mr. Fedewhatever
DONOR
Car(s)
I've seen the movies before, just going through it all again before Picard. Really been powering through, finished the Kirk movies, and already on episode 2 of Enterprise.