Movie: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

maxtortheone

Chicken Fiddler
Car(s)
2006 Renault Clio 1.4 16V

can't wait for December, the music gives me chills just like the Force Awakens trailer did

Exited for this, obviously, just hope this won't be to much of a ESB remake, I loved TFA despite repeating so many ANH things, but the critics will rip this apart if they do that again....the scene with the low flying fighters/speeders approaching the walkers in the distance? That immediatly reminded me of Hoth....not good.

Let's hope my pessimism is unfounded as per usual.

Just got back from seeing it.

Well it's good, to many ESB remaky things like everyone feared but very fast paced and it feels well made.
Story twists that surprise you, great space combat, no overly long 'theforcelightsidedarksideblablabla' despite every opportunity for it, it keeps you in your seat.

New side characters are a bit one-dimensional, and for some reason I kept expecting Lando to show up...I felt like they kept hinting at it to.....

Even pretty boy Dameron is growing on me, Wedge Antilles could still fly rings around him with half his fighter shot out from under him but still...he has his moments.

Darth millenial on the other hand is still a sniveling, backhanded, pathetic child they should just feed to a wookie.

What let's it down though is the ending.....they had every opportunity for a pseudo downer ending setting up the third movie just perfect, but they chose the disney way out.

I saw it too. Ever since these new Star Wars movies came out, I've been of two minds about them. On one hand they didn't make the mistakes of the prequel trilogy. On the other hand they made a lot of new mistakes.

The biggest mistake for me is that they did a pretty thorough job of ruining the original trilogy, since you can no longer watch the ending of Return of the Jedi and think anything positive. Everything goes to shit afterwards, apparently, so it's a bit of a downer now. I would have been happier if these new films took place much further in the future after the original characters were all dead and gone. But I suppose they want to capitalize on killing them off, one at a time, to try and heighten the drama. Which they've failed at.

The other thing that bothers me is that they don't do a very good job at building tension. It all feels a bit cynical, with large amounts of death and destruction, with only a token effort to make emotional. So many scenes in the film come off as fan service, mirroring similar scenes from the original trilogy, but because they don't build any tension and there is little sense of consequence, it all comes off as cheap and cynical, despite their attempts at spinning those scenes. I mean, the efforts of Finn, Poe, and that Rose person were more than a failure, they made things actively worse. Had they done nothing at all, a lot of lives would have been saved. Or so it seemed to me.

I remember all the people who talked about seeing the original trilogy in the theater and how special that was. The prequels didn't feel special. And neither do these. I can't even remember if I saw The Force Awakens in the theater or if I waited for it to be released on bluray. It made so little impression. I did like Rogue One though.

If this film existed n a vacuum, maybe it wouldn't be half bad. But... big shoes to fill, and all that. They would have been better off adapting the novels into films imo. Those were at least original. These feel phoned in.

Now I'm Transformersfan so this might be a little easier for me because I'm used to it, but I look at these new movies like an alernative timeline, seperated from the real timeline, for me te OT, the prequels, and especially the books are the REAL Star wars timeline, that's what we know, that's what we grew up with, that's what happende to the galaxy and our beloved characters after ROTJ.

These new movies, they are what could have beens, expensive big budget gloryfied Fanfics with a lot of fanservice and original actors to keep us entertained and make us buy merchandise.

As for making the old EU books into the new trilogy I agree they would have made for better material, Mara Jade alone......my god. Problem is that in doing that somebody is always going to be disappointed, Would I love to see Zahns work? Sure! But others would like to see 'The new Jedi order' , or 'Legacy of the force', or the X-Wing series, hell I would give my right arm for that, but you would never please everyone, and the average moviegoer? they have no clue eitherway.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC