Stupid Driver Stories

Wish I was.

IMG_8864.JPG

IMG_8865.JPG

IMG_8866.JPG

Just spent three hours cleaning up the resulting mess.

Luckily we have a thread for that now.

Someone has posted on Youtube, so this should be OK outside.

:shock:

The idiot got three and a half years jail time, for this and other offences.

Gotta admit though his driving is pretty good. Funny how in the UK that's a dangerous chase, didn't even make it to triple digits.

The BBC video works for me (which I appreciate, the Internet is a global thing). That's some pretty crazy driving for a UK chase :p

Gotta admit though his driving is pretty good. Funny how in the UK that's a dangerous chase, didn't even make it to triple digits.

As I said discussing this on IM with a friend (and you being in NY would have a handle on this) unlike in most of the US we actually have pedestrians in the UK, and our population density is pretty high which makes 80+mph in a 30 zone pretty dangerous. I doubt in New York traffic that sort of speed is even achievable, but you can imagine the potential consequences if it were.

Yeah, it seemed to me that he was going just about as fast as he could go without crashing. Traffic and road conditions weren't conducive to higher speeds unless you want to stuff yourself into an oncoming car.

The BBC video works for me (which I appreciate, the Internet is a global thing). That's some pretty crazy driving for a UK chase :p

That's great, I hope everyone else was able to as well.

I have a suspicion that the avialability is due to the video being the property of Cambridgeshire Police, who have released it into the public domain.

Since MWF mentioned the potential IP-blocking, I had a nosey around YT and found it. We never know in the UK what the BBC blocks from you guys worldwide, unless someone tells us.

:)

Gotta admit though his driving is pretty good.

I beg to differ.

When you drive like that on public roads, you drive like shit. And that is a totality without any room for discussion whatsoever. Period.

But also when you just look at his "skills" to master a vehicle with 4 wheels by what that video shows, it's pretty bad, because he cut off one door mirror and crashed through the gates of a level crossing. Good driving doesn't mean you can ruin your car in the most spectacular way.

I think you can only think about his driving skills being good, when you clearly watched "Bullitt" too many times (no offense :p)

[car thief video]
Thank you (and MWF) for this illustration of the term "drive it like you stole it". :blink:

Gotta admit though his driving is pretty good.
It looks brillant when it's really just pure luck and crazily depending on other cars being completely predictable. Which they are not. Around 0:43, that's just violently going through. He had the dimensions of his car very well measured, that I gonna give him.

Funny how in the UK that's a dangerous chase, didn't even make it to triple digits.
150 kph in a built-up area? I definitely call that dangerous. Besides, funny how most of the "dangerous high-speed chases" from the US are just someone doing normal motorway speeds on roads wider, emptier and straighter than most European motorways. :p ;)

As I said discussing this on IM with a friend (and you being in NY would have a handle on this) unlike in most of the US we actually have pedestrians in the UK, and our population density is pretty high which makes 80+mph in a 30 zone pretty dangerous. I doubt in New York traffic that sort of speed is even achievable, but you can imagine the potential consequences if it were.
Tis a good point, I forget about pedestrians. In the city this chase would take 15 seconds at most. I will take a picture of moving traffic here by my work one day and post it :)
I beg to differ.

When you drive like that on public roads, you drive like shit. And that is a totality without any room for discussion whatsoever. Period.

But also when you just look at his "skills" to master a vehicle with 4 wheels by what that video shows, it's pretty bad, because he cut off one door mirror and crashed through the gates of a level crossing. Good driving doesn't mean you can ruin your car in the most spectacular way.
I don't disagree that his driving was dangerous but I think he displayed a decent amount of skill. Yes his driving wasn't 100% clean but he was able to maintain good speed through some tight spots without any major crashing.
I think you can only think about his driving skills being good, when you clearly watched "Bullitt" too many times (no offense )
Hehe I was always more of Ronin/Vanishing Point man :)
150 kph in a built-up area? I definitely call that dangerous. Besides, funny how most of the "dangerous high-speed chases" from the US are just someone doing normal motorway speeds on roads wider, emptier and straighter than most European motorways.
Lulz

Wow, ten seconds later the train was there... Good idea for the police to have stopped and not gone through.

Exactly the point, this was probably the most dangerous part.

The train had a lot of passengers on it that could have derailed and killed people. He managed by luck to avoid the train with the car, but if you look carefully, the train still hits the deformed gates, thankfully without derailing.

:)

it's pretty bad, because he cut off one door mirror

I'd say being able to shave it near enough to lose only a door mirror is pretty dam skillful! Russ Swift and Jeremy Clarkson would agree.

Avoiding the situation in the first place would have been skillful.

There's a difference between good driving as in good car control and good driving as in good situation awareness.

To the woman, who I assume is called Irene, in the black Astra with personalised number plates IR33NE - you see those arrows on the ground of the supermarket carpark? Yeah, they point in the direction you're meant to be going. Also, keeping in mind a supermarket carpark is a place with lots of pedestrians, old people, shopping trolleys, people reversing and has poor visibility, I think a speed LESS than 50km/h would be ideal, especially when going the wrong way. I could have forgiven that moment of stupidity, even though it caused me to miss a space close to the entrance because I couldn't get to it thanks to you driving the wrong way and nearly crashing into me, but then once I have found a space at the other end of the carpark, please don't try to overtake on the inside as I am pulling into a parking space. That's two accidents you nearly caused, so giving me the finger because I leant on my horn at your blatant stupidity is a bit out of place, don't you think?

Oh, and I heard the horn blasts and screeching tyres as you pulled out onto the road. I don't think its that important to get your shopping into the freezer right away, is it?

And the woman in the MG TF - please look before you pull out of your driveway. You're lucky my brakes are as good as they are.

Last edited:
NOBODY (except me and a sane few) seems to obey car park arrows here....or 'no entry' signs for that matter. :glare:

You think that's bad? There is a plaza near me with a huge parking lot that has actual "roads" between the parking stalls to drive through. There is one lane going one way and another going another way. There are actual yellow lines on the road like any other road. People routinely go the wrong way or on the wrong side and give you dirty looks when you just go normally and don't swerve to miss them.... More fun is when they are coming out of the lot on the wrong side and look at you like you are poof for trying to drive in....