Stupid Driver Stories

How many women do you know, who memorize their number plate?

*also raises hand*

To be fair, it is a personalised one (not one of the expensive letter/numbers only one, a "have whatever letters and numbers you want within the prescribed format" one) and it's been on my car since new, so I've had 17-ish years to memorise it :lol:

Funnily I also have a lot of other people's licence plate numbers either memorised or easily recognised by myself (ie I couldn't tell you the plate off the top of my head, but when I see it I know whose it is). Makes it easy to tell if coworkers are at work yet!!! :lol:

Yeah, I mean women outside of FinalGear :p

I use car words in normal conversation and confuse people :(
It probably wouldn't have worked.

My mum drives a Toyota LC Prado, and so I once asked her what car does she drive. She responded with "Uhm, Terrano?" (Nissan Terrano being her previous car)
Women aren't very good at remembering anything about their cars D:
When my aunt bought her terrible saturn and told mom she purchased it she told her it was a 97, a manual, green and a saturn. Um, which saturn? There is more than one of those :| (she eventually sent a picture, it is an SL1, I don't know if she actually knows that).

I have given up the hope, that people show the same interest or enthusiasm for things as I do.

People tend to forget and ignore things they aren't interested in. They simply put it into the "totally unimportant" drawer of their minds. I for example completely ignore the existence of mobile phones and refuse to busy myself with it. I have one but I rarely use it.

My mother for example, is calling me on the phone all the time, when she wants to know, how to change the language settings on her DVD player or why she cannot open an e-mail attachment on her PC.

She could solve it all on her own, using the owner's manual or help functions (she can use all her kitchen appliances after all) but then she'd had to put her mind to it and she simply doesn't want that. She isn't interested, so she doesn't consider spending any time on problem solution and prefers calling me instead. And if I'm not available, she simply lets the matter rest, for days or weeks, if necessary.

If my mother wants to buy new table napkins, though, she borrows 5 different varieties from the shop to see, which fits best to the table cloth and the dishes.

Talking about setting priorities in life...

Sad thing is, that her husband is the same. Not even slightly interested in technical things, probably even less than her. For example I had to tell him, how to use the voice control programming for his Mercedes's sat nav. He's had the car for 2 years and never used the voice control. And it's an optional extra he paid for! He even agrees, that fiddling around with the manual search function in the display is a lot more distracting and complicated but he simply refuses to learn something new.

My cousin, on the other hand, is very interested in cars. I introduced her to Top Gear and she loves it, even though her English is limited. But she absolutely refuses to take a drill and mount some shelves on the wall. She always waits, until a man drops by, even though in theory she knows exactly, how it is done. But she doesn't bother and let's stuff from IKEA lying in the corner for months, if no man has time to do it for her.

Anyway... with all those things in mind and some experience in life, that's why I rather waited in the rain.

Last edited:
My mother dragged me flower shopping.
"Which one do you like"
"IDK the pink ones"
"which pink ones?"
"the flat ones"
I think the flat one are called impatient? I fail at girl.

My mother, who is not a car person, still remembers the number plate of my grandad's Mk1 Cortina he had when she was a child.

Most girls I know, know their own number plates. And I too, know most of my friends number plates. I'm sure I'm not alone here in being able to identify someone by their car. A few weeks ago I was walking with a friend who was bitching about one of her friends. We were walking near where this person worked, and my friend said something like "wouldn't it be funny if we saw her". As soon as she said that, I said "actually, there she is", and pointed to her black Audi A3 which just drove past. I had only seen that car once before but I knew it was hers. :lol:

My mother remembered her camaro had leaf springs. Apparently though this is because the accident she had made them outside the car.

I am so uninterested in my mobile phone, that instead of finding out where to find my own number in the menu, I simply call myself on the regular phone, where the number is then shown in the display :)

...some parental archetypes discussed...

My dad is exactly like this (though not the napkins/domestic crap thing). He'll call me for help with the same stupid stuff I helped him with last time and conveniently loses instruction sheets when I give them to him. Then again, he's getting to be a total dick about a number of matters and recently tried to monopolize my time, so I told him to sod off and refuse to speak to him until he gets his head out of his arse. (As I mentioned in a Random Thoughts post a few months back.)

The good news - my mom is not like that. She's actually more interested in how things work. Honestly, I've had to work with and hire techs that were much worse than she is about continuing education and technical issues. Heck, she even knows how to strip out the hard drive from her laptop and swap in another (those who have done parental tech support know just how difficult a concept this simple task is to get through to most.)

My Mom is anti tech and it makes me mad. She wants to have the convenience of the tech but don't want to know how to use it. Today I tried talking her through putting an address in the GPS while driving,........................ I ended up just pulling over and doing it myself. It is not that hard to do and if she would just try it would be easy, but noooooo, she just won't do it. Love you Mom, but you drive me crazy.

My mum is the same. I can't count the number of times I've told her how to use the DVD player. Also, she manages to watch TV perfectly fine when I'm not there, but when I am, she always has to ask which button to press to change the channel or the volume... It drives me insane, because she clearly knows how to do it but still makes me explain it every time.

How many women do you know, who memorize their number plate?

My mom knows the plate numbers for all three of her cars, and Kiki knows her plate number and I think she knows mine too.

This belongs here.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/hes-on-a-mission-from-god/story-e6freuy9-1226081982451

A VISITING American evangelist who claims healing powers has walked from a NSW court without even a fine despite driving 110km blind drunk and crashing into a parked car.

It was a miracle the Christian revivalist, with a huge following in the US, didn't cause further turmoil on the Pacific Highway earlier this week after driving with a blood alcohol level of .206.

The decision disgusted local police, who said Hooper could have been sent to jail for 18 months but got off with "a slap on the wrist".

The disgraced and dishevelled preacher, who claimed God had forgiven him for his terrible sins, also found he had the court on his side, escaping without a fine after he was involved in a crash with another car.

Drive 4x over the limit, crash into parked car, get let off because you're a 'man of god'. Utter bullshit.

So many today (this is over like 2 trips)....
1) Trying to merge into me while I'm in the rightmost lane w/o any exit for at least a mile.
2) Riding between lanes WHILE tailgating
3) Cutting off just to go stupid slow
4) Speeding up when I'm undertaking (STFU non-Americans it's 100% legal here)
5) Agressive driving (cutting off and going at least 20 above the rest of the traffic) in a beat up Focus

I have a very simple policy with my family - I explain once, next time I tell them to Google it....

Last edited:
My neighbour (50 at the time) came home one day and told me all exited that he bought a new car....

Realy? Nice! what kind?
A Renault.
Megane? Clio? ....?
An estate!
Megane then?
Dunno but it's a green one (he meant the colour)

Few days later he brings it home and shows it to me (it was indeed a megane)

You know about these things, so should I put Diesel or petrol in it?
Euhrmm.....You don't know what kind of engine it has?
Not realy but the salesman said it was a realy good one.
(Turns out it was a diesel.)

'salesman' probably made a fortune on that car....

On the topic of friend's license plates, it turns out my plate has a certain similarity to the one on my friend's old Volvo.
si4l5.jpg

First two are following numbers, middle three are permutation of the same digits, and the last two are reversed. The friend who owns the Volvo shook my hand when I told him that XD

It probably wouldn't have worked.

My mum drives a Toyota LC Prado, and so I once asked her what car does she drive. She responded with "Uhm, Terrano?" (Nissan Terrano being her previous car)
Women aren't very good at remembering anything about their cars D:

Just color. Don't ask make, model, year, license number, et al.

To tell the truth, I don't remember my plate number. I don't really need to, I have the registration in my wallet.

Man, ya'lls parents suck. My mom, though she may need my help figuring something out, always pays attention when I tell her how something is done and then never needs re-teaching. My dad, being a retired career Air Force helicopter crew chief, pretty much figures damn near everything out on his own. Makes being "Mr. I.T." of the family very easy.

Except for my step-dad, who has the same sense of direction as James May, minus the sense of order that May had that helped him find his way in NYC.

I must offer my sincerest apologies to you good sir, for as I read this post I thought I had mistakenly stumbled into the 'Parked like an idiot' thread. :p

My mum is the same. I can't count the number of times I've told her how to use the DVD player. Also, she manages to watch TV perfectly fine when I'm not there, but when I am, she always has to ask which button to press to change the channel or the volume... It drives me insane, because she clearly knows how to do it but still makes me explain it every time.

My mom and sister are so like this. I can't tell you how many times I've had to show her how to scan and email a photo. Eventually I told her and I said "I'm tired of showing you." It took TWO EFFING HOURS to do three pictures, but she did it. I haven't been asked again, but I have been asked why the printer's not working only to find out it's not plugged into to the usb port on the computer. She didn't know which one was the printer usb cable. I told her to trace it, she didn't. I eventually got pissed off and did it and walked off without a word. My dad gets angry that I do that but there's no other way my mom and sister will learn such simple things unless you push them, hard....

The worst part is that my sister is following in my mothers foot steps. We're breeding ignorant people!

My dad on the other hand bought an iPhone with little knowledge about it and just figured it out. :D

Last edited: