Stupid Driver Stories

Additionally, some drivers are not indicating at all at roundabouts, neither on entry nor on exit...

Indicating when entering a roundabout? What's the logic behind that? Asking because our rules are probably slightly different. Over here you should indicate right when exiting, nothing else.

It's completely beyond me how people still can't grasp how roundabouts work, about 15 years after they first started popping up around here. Some indicate left while turning left inside the roundabout (apparently this is how Swedes used to do it, not anymore though) and others don't indicate at all. Braking to a stop before entering when there's nobody inside the roundabout is popular too. This is where the scene cuts to me in the car behind, with both palms on the horn, swearing loudly.

Last edited:
It seems in France it's common to indicate that you don't want to take the first exit by indicating left, but as not everyone does it it's useless to rely on. The rules in Germany are as in Finland and the US: you only indicate when you want to leave the roundabout.

Normally I don't indicate on entry. But sometimes I do, especially on the really small roundabouts we have a some of here. This is roundabouts they have recently put in where there used to be a normal junction. This on roads where there are only one lane in each direction. I know that this is not how you are supposed to indicate. But I think that it is sometimes good to be extra clear about your intentions, I only indicate left when using the roundabout to turn left, I do this since a lot of people fail to indicate when they leave the roundabout when going straight ahead. This leads to the traffic coming from the opposite direction to assume that I will also go straight, because most of the traffic does. This leads to some interesting situations, sometimes with heavy braking on my or the other cars part.

It's nice to actually indicate on entry in a roundabout, it helps other people understanding where you want to go.

Traffic could be much better if people shouldn't stop to understand where other people are going.

Of course in real life indicating doesn't mean -at all- that the car will go where they indicate, but at least it helps a bit.

Reactions: MWF
It's nice to actually indicate on entry in a roundabout, it helps other people understanding where you want to go.
I don't know what kind of rotaries you have in Italy, but in the US there is literally only one way you could go, so indicating is rather unnecessary.

Unfold a roundabout and you get a one way street with 4 (usually) entries. You don't need to indicate because there's only one way to go and you indicate before the exit. How difficult is it to understand?

Being how every time someone mentions roundabouts nobody seems to agree on how to use them, irrespective of driving experience, perceived intelligence or how "logical" they are? Very.

It makes sense to indicate on entry if there is more than one lane in the roundabaout and you want to cross into the inner lane. - Otherwise I see no reason why you should indicate on entry.

To give you a feel for how small roundabouts can be in Europe we have this from England.

Buckingham, England

And not quite as small from Sweden.

Nora, Sweden

And then we of course have The Magic Roundabout in Swindon, England. Haven't driven through this one personally.

Swindon, England

Edit: We have the larger kind as well of course.
Edit2: Hopefully correct link this time.

Vallarondellen, Link?ping, Sweden

Last edited:
What is even the point??
The point is to not have traffic lights which slow everything down but still a clear situation who has the right of way, namely the one who is already in the roundabout.

What is even the point??

Of my post or small roundabouts?

For my post, it was as an explanation why I think it is sometimes beneficiary to indicate left when entering a roundabout where I intend to turn left. Substitute right for left in England, as they drive on the left.

And Eye-Q has already answered the reasoning behind even small roundabouts. You should only have to check for traffic from one direction.

- - - Updated - - -

You linked the magic roundabout twice.

Ooops. hopefully fixed now. :blush:

Last edited:
Meanwhile in Massachusetts

vQcjdRM.png

Heres a streetview drop right into the chaos. See if you can figure it out https://goo.gl/maps/ZGt1R976i4k

I don't know what kind of rotaries you have in Italy, but in the US there is literally only one way you could go, so indicating is rather unnecessary.

Hok explained it in full.

When you are about to enter, it might be quite helpful to know in advance that the other car is going left and you have to let them pass.

It's also helpful when you have a multilane roundabout and you want to know where the guy in front of you will (hopefully) go.

It may be useful in multilane entrances, when you may know in advance that the car in the left lane will go left, so you can pass on the right if you have to go right.

It's useful to bicycles wanting to enter a roundabout and looking for cars in the distance.

ok, indicating upon exit is way more useful, but indicating in general is a good thing.

Reactions: Hok
to annoy people and make it harder to drive
No, to increase the flow of traffic and make it easier to drive.

Even if some people never seem to comprehend the roundabout.

Last edited: