Stupid Driver Stories

I feel like those dwarf rotaries should have a visible structure in the middle so people realize it's actually not just a straight road.

Meanwhile in Massachusetts

vQcjdRM.png

Heres a streetview drop right into the chaos. See if you can figure it out https://goo.gl/maps/ZGt1R976i4k
Overrated. It's really not difficult to navigate, yet locals always complain about it.

Of course in real life Italy indicating doesn't mean -at all- that the car will go where they indicate, but at least it helps a bit.

Cleared that up...

Roundabouts bring out the true nature of most drivers:

• People that indicate on exit at least have some sort of understanding that this helps improve the traffic flow by letting others know where they are going (or they just do as they were told in driving school)
  • People that know they should indicate but don't because they don't care about others
  • People that don't know why (or that) they should indicate and therefore don't do it

It feels like 90% of drivers fall into the last two categories. Too much of an ego and/or not enough brain matter to comprehend that they actually aren't the center of the universe.

I feel like those dwarf rotaries should have a visible structure in the middle so people realize it's actually not just a straight road.

I agree with you there. About those in Britain. But the structure needs to be low enough that buses and trucks can pass over it. Because they can't really drive around.

I am also glad that I was a passenger the first times I passed that and other small roundabouts in Buckingham. So that I knew where they were when I had to drive on my own.

No, to increase the flow of traffic and make it easier to drive.

Even if some people never seem to comprehend the roundabout.

maybe its better where you live but around here the road builders have gone crazy with roundabouts. they are built in places where there was never any problem with traffic i mean literally 2 cars happen to meet at a crossroads maybe once an hour. but suddenly theres this huge circle in the middle of the road that you have to drive around. then they plant stuff in the middle and around that cut the visibility and make driving less safe. usually there is a sort of elevated area towards the middle that you are supposed to be able to use for driving but it is too high so if you use it regularly you damage your suspension. often you have to change lanes when you enter and leave the roundabout. then there are a lot of again elevated "safety islands" around the roundabout that are dangerous at winter if the snow has not been cleared and during snow clearing are often damaged that increases the maintenance cost. that is of course after the cost of building the thing. also these ""safety"" islands" mean that pedestrians and other light traffic have to navigate 2-4 times more crosswalks than usual. i have seen people in wheelchairs unable to get over them and children with bikes fall in front of traffic because of them. often roundabouts are so tight trucks/busses have to drive over other lanes to get around - unsafe. on at least one road with several roundabouts there was supposed to be a road for busses/trucks to go straight through the middle but when the road was opened these were blocked off with roadsigns.

Also the planners openly admit roundabouts are often built to calm aka slow the traffic.

So: roundabouts decrease the flow of traffic, make it a lot harder to drive and are more unsafe than regular road.

The roundabouts can be built in a way that make them ok but for some reason builders go out of their way to achieve the opposite.

Last edited:
While picking up my daughter at school I saw a moron drive is R32 Skyline at WOT, all the way up to an estimated 90km/h, in a 30km/h school zone.

1- Such a car is easily recognizable.
2- I got a good look at the moron's face.

If I see him again in the area, I will make sure to have a little chat with the policemen patrolling the sector the next time I see them.

What do you do when traffic on the Autobahn is stopped, but you can reach an exit if you turn around?

This, if you're a :censored::censored: idiot:

Holy shit, i would have expected one dumbfuck, but there are dozens of those motherfucking idiots.

I hope all their licenses are revoked for life.

This particular idiot was in the left of two lanes on her side of the street. This left lane was full to the edge of the intersection but she decided to enter the intersection anyway instead of waiting . Then she sat there in the middle of the intersection for two full light cycles, blocking in people.

The best part was that the right lane was completely open and she could have moved right and driven on at any time.

Sadly, people blocking intersections is normal around here. It's almost as if their world ends at the rear bumper of the car in front of them and everybody else on the road ceases to exist in their mind.

Sadly, people blocking intersections is normal around here. It's almost as if their world ends at the rear bumper of the car in front of them and everybody else on the road ceases to exist in their mind.

What's even better is that the last quarter mile to this intersection on each side is posted with multiple signs saying to not block the intersection and that it is against state law.

---

Today's stupid driver story is a tale of probable attempted insurance fraud. I am taking thomas' Caddy back to the shop where the rear axle backing plates were repaired because of some questions about a noise that arose back there after the work had been performed. (Which turned out to be nobody's fault, something unrelated just came loose.) I'm on a local highway cruising along at a relaxed pace in the slow lane when a bright red 01-03 Kia Spectra with 'I just bought this' temp tags gets on in front of me going slow.

Now, Spectras are slow to begin with, but they're not quite this slow. The guy exits the acceleration zone doing 40 or so when everyone else is doing 65+. I've slowed to let him in and he continues at 40 for a few seconds, then very slowly coasted down a bit. I figure something's up and start guarding my brake pedal. When the Caddy got what he thought was close enough, he mats the brake pedal but his brake lights don't come on.

Unfortunately for his apparent little scheme, I had already been suspicious. The Cadillac was easily able to haul itself to a stop with much space to spare. When he didn't get the impact he expected, he looked back to see me wagging the "uh uh uh - no no" finger out the window at him. All of a sudden he found the accelerator and fled the area at speed. Well, the best speed a Spectra can make - which was a lot more than what he'd shown while getting on the freeway.

The shame of it was that the Caddy doesn't have a dashcam or I'd cheerfully share the video here.

Last edited:
Driving down the freeway, see a flashing light up ahead in the middle of the road.... little flashing light... clearly not an emergency vehicle. Start to slow and move over down when my headlight beams hit a disabled black Expedition in the middle lane. No lights, no hazards no anything. The flashing light? The driver (presumably), standing behind his truck, in the middle lane, wearing all black clothing, waving his phone in strobe mode... There were 2 other cars on the median shoulder so something must've just happened, but man is that a super dangerous place to stand. One guy going 70mph looking down at his radio or phone and BAM, right into the guy before the SUV.

I didn't pull over, but I did call 911 to report it. I'll see if I can get a screencap off my dashcam tomorrow morning.

Driving down the freeway, see a flashing light up ahead in the middle of the road.... little flashing light... clearly not an emergency vehicle. Start to slow and move over down when my headlight beams hit a disabled black Expedition in the middle lane. No lights, no hazards no anything. The flashing light? The driver (presumably), standing behind his truck, in the middle lane, wearing all black clothing, waving his phone in strobe mode... There were 2 other cars on the median shoulder so something must've just happened, but man is that a super dangerous place to stand. One guy going 70mph looking down at his radio or phone and BAM, right into the guy before the SUV.

I didn't pull over, but I did call 911 to report it. I'll see if I can get a screencap off my dashcam tomorrow morning.

Actually the guy did have his hazards on. Don't know why I didn't remember it. Here is the footage off my camera.

Hard to tell, but you can just make out the guys pants when I pass.

And since I already pulled the memory card for my camera, a few more.

1. The disabled vehicle on the other side of the road. 2 big dudes sitting in it. Push it out of the middle lane, the road isn't that busy.

2. Yes, trucks do make wide turns. But not THAT wide - and it was obvious this one wasn't going to be that wide. Unexpected stop on green was unexpected.

3. Yes, I turned on red, but I checked to make sure my lane was free. About a quarter of the way into it, I realized that Chevy was intending on changing lines in the middle of the intersection without indicating. Going to take the blame here - I was the stupid one for assuming the other driver wasn't a moron. Especially because I've see people change lanes in the middle of this intersection regularly.

Had #3 actually done bad, who would have been at fault? I'm guessing me because I turned on red?

Last edited:
Had #3 actually done bad, who would have been at fault? I'm guessing me because I turned on red?
Typically a turning vehicle would be considered at fault as long as the other vehicle wasn't breaking some law (running a red or speeding) the idea is that you must take greater care when turning. In your case it would be even worse because you are essentially turning from a stop sign into a "main" road it's your duty to make sure the road is clear.

Typically a turning vehicle would be considered at fault as long as the other vehicle wasn't breaking some law (running a red or speeding) the idea is that you must take greater care when turning. In your case it would be even worse because you are essentially turning from a stop sign into a "main" road it's your duty to make sure the road is clear.

Right. I did. The lane closes to me, which is the lane I am required to turn into, was clear. The vehicle was in the other lane. Michigan requires indicators when changing lanes, which he did not do. And Michigan forbids changing lanes in an intersection, which he did.

Right. I did. The lane closes to me, which is the lane I am required to turn into, was clear. The vehicle was in the other lane. Michigan requires indicators when changing lanes, which he did not do. And Michigan forbids changing lanes in an intersection, which he did.

While all those are true you couldn't prove he didn't indicate or that he changed in the middle of an intersection.

While all those are true you couldn't prove he didn't indicate or that he changed in the middle of an intersection.

I need a wider angle lens. Though presumably there would've been skid marks or evidence that showed his trajectory being that of not straight line in-lane driving.

Oh well, idiots gonna idiot. Nothing bad happened this time, and lesson learned for next time.

I hit a disabled vehicle head on a number of years ago because I couldn't see it, not fun.

This would've been doubly not fun since it would've created a Darwin sandwich.

Last edited: