Stupid photography class (RANT)

Renesis

Lazier than Viper
Car(s)
2007 BMW Z4 3.0 SI
They call it digital photography but we have to work with 35mm!

After an argument with the (stupid) teacher, I'll be able to use my digital for the last two projects but for the first one I have to use a 35mm, luckily my dad still had his old one, but GOSH I HATE FILM CAMERAS, I love the ring focus but it's hard to see if you're really in focus unless you have clear lines to help you and FUCK FUCK FUCK I HATE how you can't see the result immediately, I'm sure I fucked up some real bad.

And you can't even preview the effect on the cam I have (maually close the diaphragm) GRRR thank god for the new technology, fuck my teacher for the rest. :thumbsdown:

Fuck yeah, she sucks real bad, she showed us some of her pics and I was like, urgh, I wouldn't tell my students those are mine...

atleast she'll be easily impressed by our work :lol:

I don't expect much from my work on the FUCKING 35mm though :thumbsdown:

:lol: no, I don't have the talent for that.

It's only what I chose for my optionnal class in college, I'd like to make photo a hobby but FUCK it's for uber-newbies, I didn't learn a single fucking thing in all classes so far, and I consider myself very amateurish just a tad better than newbie.

You will learn a lot more about the functions of shutter speed, exposure, focus
and so on if you use this 35mm camera than you will with a dumb compact
thing like an Ixus or something. You could do some testing with a digital
SLR-camera on manual mode before taking pics with the 35mm so that
you'll know roughly what settings to use for the different lightings..

In normal daylight I suppose you could do a : F= 5.6 and Shutter= 250
and the result would be somewhat okay. But this reeaaally depends from
time to time and from what you want your pic to look like (depth of field ++)

yeah yeah, but the camera tells you which settings to use with that speed or aperture..

shot some outside pics today ISO 200, usually 1/250s @ F8

In my opinion it is very helpful to learn to take pictures with film. It gives you much more of an appreciation for what the camera is actually doing in each situation. It is a pretty educational experience to take a whole roll of film, develop it and then have your whole roll turn out awfully because of a faulty light metre or wrong setting on the camera. It's traumatic, but still very educational. :p

I started to get serious about photography when I got my first digital camera, but I still forced myself to learn film with my fully manual 1970s Nikon.

We don't even get to devellop them, although we have a dark room in the college.. duh

anyway, I just don't like film, the fact that you can't see the result.. if it hadn't been for digital cameras I would have NEVER got into it, and if I knew I would have to use film, I'd have chosen another optionnal class, like american movies :lol: it's apparently the easiest thing, only 1 hw per month and you watch movies in all your classes :p my friend got it.

I too would not have got into photography if it was not for digital cameras and the ability to see what picture you have just taken. This was a lesson learned the hard way after using a disposible camera at a rock festival where my favourite band Guns n' Roses were playing. I almost lost all the footage of the best gig of my life. Luckily I found someone on the net who had recorded it all on VCD - sorted :thumbsup:

We've got a film photography module this semester, I'm quite looking forward to it, as I like the retro feel of older cameras and there's just something incredibly exciting about developing your own photos. (plus that focus thing in the middle of the lens is super-cool :D)

Currently listening to: Fight Test - The Flaming Lips - Fight Test (2003)

yea.... I think 35mm cameras are a great way to start photography... when I used to be into photography before the digital age... after I started buying digital cameras (My first was the Sony S70)... I just kept buying smaller and smaller ones with less and less function... the digital cameras didn't keep me as interested cuz when I had 35mm... I only know how good or bad my pics were after a day or 2 :lol:

I learned on a small 2.0MP digital camera, then used a Pentax 35mm and probably took some of my best photos with it, Now I'm using a Fuji S5000 Digital and hope to move onto a Canon 350D soon...

I thought using the 35mm was the best thing I ever done :)