Ownership Verified: Sturmwagen E30

Thujalvi

Car(s)
Sturmpanzer E30
I recently acquired myself a new heap of scrap metal, a late model e30 316i touring, because the Golf I'd had previously was just too damn reliable, small, and slow.
For the most part, it's actually in a pretty decent shape, considering I paid all of 500? for it. I only had to change one tie rod, and get correct size tyres on to get a title, and beyond that all the bushings are pretty worn and I've no idea when the timing-belt's been last changed, not to mention the rear wheel-bearings sound like there's a kilo of gravel in them. Then there's the patchy paint and lacquer, and someone's diy electrics and the slightly torn driver's seat, so I've got my work cut out for me.

I figured I might as well have a kind of to-do list for the car, with some fancy formatting and some such.

Must do / urgent
- Replace near side front wishbone bushing and tie rod. Parts sourced, need to get the car on a lift.
- Replace timing belt. Still missing the tensioner.
- Replace fan clutch and thermostat. Need to get parts.
- Replace heater motor. Done.
- Replace rear axle bushings and bearings. Missing most parts, like trailing arm bushes and wheel bearings.
- Source wheels and tyres for the winter.
- Replace front brake discs and pads. Pads are on the way, got to decide which discs I should get.
- Have the wheels properly aligned.

Non-vital, but important stuff
- New rear shock absorbers. I quite like the idea of a pair of Bilstein B4's or B6's.
- Better engine breathing. Probably going for a RamAir cone filter kit.
- New program for the ECU.
- Better exhaust.
- Fix the ride height. The front is higher than the rear, need to check the springs and dampers and replace bits accordingly.
- Replace near side front fog lamp.

Long term / dreaming stuff, and other not that important bits
- Scavenge possible motor swap parts. M30? M52? M42 with M47 crankshaft? S14? S50? Is there a plan?
- Leather seats.
- Improve general cabin ergonomics. I really want an Alpina dead pedal.

Sturmpanzer E30 by Thujalvi, on Flickr

2012-06-29 13.27.32 by Thujalvi, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the cabin. It's a sort of limited edition, right?

Sports seats, unmolested E30, 500 euros? Doesn't sound bad at all to me, even if it needs some loving care and lots of spirited driving!

Tres cool, indeed. Nice pick-up!

Nice find! however, only time 4cyl is cool in a e30 is the M3 :p

Though, i see a lot of people turbocharging the 318, maybe the same can be done with 316? could be intriguing.

Looks like a really good starting point though, even if it's a 316, it's a great looking car, and probably reliable too, as it doesn't look like it's been youthified, with cut springs and bodykits making it look like a space ship.

I like the cabin. It's a sort of limited edition, right?
Well, it's got bucket seats at the front so it's not completely bog-standard.

Works for me! *cough* S52 *cough*
*cough* Can't afford one *cough*

Nice find! however, only time 4cyl is cool in a e30 is the M3 :p

Though, i see a lot of people turbocharging the 318, maybe the same can be done with 316? could be intriguing.

Looks like a really good starting point though, even if it's a 316, it's a great looking car, and probably reliable too, as it doesn't look like it's been youthified, with cut springs and bodykits making it look like a space ship.
True enough, but that's what engine swaps were invented for. :p I've been contemplating about sourcing an M42 or maybe even a smallish M52 motor to give it some proper oomph, but before that I've to take a long, hard look at the handling and brakes. And also no, I feel that turbocharging would be against the spirit of the car, not to mention the all the fiery hoop I'd have to go through to keep it road-legal. And space ship bodykits? I quite like the idea of some M-tech bits, but that's essentially factory, so they don't count.

And thanks for all the commentary.

Mtech I and II is beautiful on e30's, so i don't count those as the space ship stuff, but more the stupid Rieger stuff many stuff on theirs... or worse...

but why M52? when VANOS... breaks, it's.... very expensive to fix.

M30 is the way to go. That engine is bulletproof. Chain drive, no vanos and a beautifull intake manifold :)

Mtech I and II is beautiful on e30's, so i don't count those as the space ship stuff, but more the stupid Rieger stuff many stuff on theirs... or worse...

but why M52? when VANOS... breaks, it's.... very expensive to fix.

Everything breaks. VANOS might be very expensive to fix by BMW, but... $100 for a complete repair kit + 1 day to fix yourself, assuming it's the typical wear down of seals and piston bearing play.

That said, simpler = better, so M30 gets my vote :p

M30 is the way to go. That engine is bulletproof. Chain drive, no vanos and a beautifull intake manifold :)

or just plain M50 without VANOS, and still 24v.

Thing is, a m50 is much more difficult to install into an e30 than a m30 (connection/electrics wise) and the difference between fuel consumption isn't really big. Also, m50 without vanos is lame.

S52 would certainly be a great engine, but beyond the cost issue, it would also completely overpower the chassis, and I'd also have to register the car as an M3, which would mean a complete rebuild with M3 suspension and brakes and so forth, so it'd easier to just buy an M3. Also from what I've gathered, the M50/52 swap apparently is considerably easier than going with the M30, with which I'd again run into the draconian anti-motoring vehicle registration and safety bureaucrats. And then, for obvious reasons, the M42 would be essentially plug-and-play, and it wouldn't upset the weight distribution that badly with just some 20kg over the current M40. In an ideal world I'd have an S14b23 (or an M88, christ, what a motor), maybe one could even convince the officials that it's an M42... Oh well.

But in any case, I'm not actually sitting here with a wad of cash in hand waiting for the right motor to come along, and like I've said, I've to get the handling and braking up where I want it before I even really think about power, ought to look at what weight reduction there is to be had as well.