Subaru Legacy STI rumored to have 450 hp

Sweet, so the Impreza would basically be replaced by the Legacy as the badass car? Fine by me -- not a big fan of the new STi.

I agree. This looks way better than the new STI as well.

^ I never understood how the Legacy was called 'discreet' or 'boring looking.' I always thought it was one of the best looking cars out there.

I guess its a face only a mother could love kind of thing.

Legacy's have always been low key in design, esp when you delete the hood scoop. They have always been the most conventional designed cars in any given subaru model lineup.

Now we need a new Mitsu Galant with a biturbo V6 and similar power to counter this bundle of win. :eek:

Now we need a new Mitsu Galant with a biturbo V6 and similar power to counter this bundle of win. :eek:

Don't forget an updated Mazdaspeed 6. The turbo AWD Japanese sedan trifecta is now in play.

All we need are for the big 3 Japanese companies to counter with an Accord Type R, an Altima SE-R, and....ah forget it, Toyota would never play along.

Subaru has gone bonkers!!!

450bhp sounds promising : )

Don't forget an updated Mazdaspeed 6. The turbo AWD Japanese sedan trifecta is now in play.

All we need are for the big 3 Japanese companies to counter with an Accord Type R, an Altima SE-R, and....ah forget it, Toyota would never play along.

Considering the fact that the new Mazda 6 can be had with a 270hp V6, the Mazdaspeed 6 would need some serious power + Awd to set it apart. It'd be cool if Mazda played along.

Subaru doesn't really have a big history of coming up with totally new engines, usually re-working the old ones to get more power. Suddenly coming up with a more expensive, more powerful version that is unlikely to sell very well, seems doubtful.

Japanese culture is usually very sensible, this idea isn't.

You're forgetting the twin-turbo, 400 hp 400 lb/ft H6 that was in the B11S in 2003. They've already proved they can do it. They just need to follow through with production. That one was only a 3.0, so 450 hp seems easily doable with a 3.6 or 3.7.

If this car were to have that much power, with the same sort of engine noise from a Porsche 911, and costs half as much as the M5, it would replace the STi as Subaru's "flagship" special model! I just hope that it has the option of the differential override which allows a majority of the power to be permanently sent to the rear wheels.

What would Toyota call it, anyway?
Camary-S?
Camary Type F (Fast :p)

All sounds stupid.

Edit:
Anyone smell a Japanese horsepower war?
That'd be interesting.

What would Toyota call it, anyway?
Camary-S?
Camary Type F (Fast :p)

All sounds stupid.

Edit:
Anyone smell a Japanese horsepower war?
That'd be interesting.

They sell this piece of shit here,

800px-2007_TRD_Aurion_3500SL_01.jpg

241kw (323hp) front wheel drive, starting at AU$53,000

Which happens to be more than $5000 more than the new ford falcon xr6 turbo which has 270kw and RWD, or $5000 more than a commodore SS which has 270kw as well and RWD....

mmm go toyota

If they'd bothered to go the AWD route it would of been probably an excellent car

I actually think that looks really cool. Much better than the Camry we get here. I know it won't handle particularly well, but any sedan with 323 HP just has to be cool. The old W-Body Devilles had a 4.6L 300HP V8 sitting the the front and they seemed to work fine. I know the front bumper looks as if it's been hacked by some angry bloke, but overall it looks quite nice.

What the hell are you gonna do with all that power at the wrong end? Torque steer FTL!!!!

The engine in that Toyota is I reckon is one of the better engines in Toyota's current catalogue, too bad it hasn't found a nice home yet.

What the hell are you gonna do with all that power at the wrong end? Torque steer FTL!!!!

I saw one floor it out onto Springvale road here (ferntree gully road intersection) just up from the toyota dealership there (for those melbournians) and it looked hilarious. You could see the TC and stability control trying to control it, in the end it looked like a fish out of water.

I saw one floor it out onto Springvale road here (ferntree gully road intersection) just up from the toyota dealership there (for those melbournians) and it looked hilarious. You could see the TC and stability control trying to control it, in the end it looked like a fish out of water.

:lol: nice, they really need to put that power to the right wheels.

Apparently they're tarmac rallying it.

I'm trying to imagine it going through a tight hairpin at speed.

That australian camry looks really good, shame they dont sell that body design over here.