Sudden urge to buy camera gear, how to get over it

Yeah, the shit thing about local stores is that none will let you test the equipment. What's the performance difference @ f/8 (or whatever the optimal aperture is (f/5.6 for the Nikon 50mm f/1.8))?

If you can accurately spot things like back/front focus problems by shooting with a lens in a camera store then massive kudos to your awesome lens-problem-finding-skills - they are indeed legendary :D
Print a focus shart and bring a tripod. Or just borrow one from them. Also, buying from a physical shop like Fotovideo means you can go back the next day to do a switch, so you won't have to wait for the gear to go back and forth through mail. :)

Yeah, the shit thing about local stores is that none will let you test the equipment. What's the performance difference @ f/8 (or whatever the optimal aperture is (f/5.6 for the Nikon 50mm f/1.8))?
That's true in some shop, but in Norway, the two biggest chains (Fotovideo and Japanphoto) will let you do pretty much anything. They'll even let you go to the door with gear for 50k NOK and stand outside shooting to test gear. I know people who've been lent lenses for 20k to test for a whole day, provided they provide ID.

At least in those two chains, you'll always be allowed to try out gear, no matter what it is. Provided they've got batteries for it, of course. And if you're a Canon guy, there is a lot to lust for in the Fotovideo shop, they've got the biggest dedicated Canon-centre in Europe. You name the lens, they've got it on the shelf. ;)

Yeah, good for you. I'm not driving to Norway to test a lens. :p

Print a focus shart and bring a tripod. Or just borrow one from them.

That's above my limit as how much of a dork I'm prepeared to look in public :D I'm pretty much concidering the old f1.4 or the f1.8 if anyone has them, as I need a fast sharp lens this weekend that's good for portraits.

(fast, because I'm taking some shots of a dog if all goes to plan)

There's the 85mm f1.8 to concider aswell, but I just feel that 85mm is limiting me too much opposed to the 50mm. If I could I'd go with the 35mm, but that's a no-no for close up's (big nose :D)

Baaaaah.... I'll do what I always do: go to a store and loose my mind and see what I come out with in the end :rolleyes:

i have m42 auto chinon f1.4 55mm, manual focus needs a bit of practising if youre shooting at a moving target..
pm me if interested :p

ordered today
-Manfrotto 718B Photo- / video tripod
-Gradient gray filter
-ND8 filter
-couple of step-up rings

+ my super-takumar 28mm 3.5 is at the post office now.. cant wait to test it.

Bought today: Birthday gift for mum, some cheapish single malt (poor student, go figure. :))

Status: Seems that Leica 25mm f/1.4 is still hanging around in the distance. A long distance away. Blargh!

I've been trying to think more about my photos than my gear. My 18-55, 55-200, 50/1.8 and 28/2.8 are probably all I'll ever need. So I have a lot of noise at ISO 1600 and I miss a few shots due to the handling of the D40 being inferior to higher end bodies...so what, I'm still happy with the shots I do get and I just try to use noise and grain artistically.

Because I happened to be in "the city" today (there's nothing for 60 miles from my little hic town that actually sells photo gear), I stopped into a Don's to check out a few things and I tried a D300 for a bit. It's a lot lighter than I thought it would be, even with the 16-85 VR, though it still feels very solid. Thank goodness it's too big for my little girly-hands :p The D90 is a nice fit, though.

I'd love to get a D90...or a D300...or a D700. I could actually afford either of the former two pretty comfortably right now, but I can't really justify it. What keeps me from buying all sorts of gear is realizing that this is just a hobby for me and also that better gear isn't going to create pictures with more artistic value, just make things faster and more convenient for me.

Start selling Nik0n lenses. Pinholes made out of toilet rolls and cardboard. :p

Yeah, maybe I should roll out a whole line of nik0n accessories? Monopod: broken off broom handle and a stick of crazy glue to secure your camera. Universal filter for all lenses with loads of different effects: stockings, in different colors. Super light camera bags: plastic bags from the local supermarket.

And I'll be all SUPER-GAY like Apple, and call everything 0-something. "The 0pod", "0filter", "0bag". Apple makes inferior products and puts and "i" infront of it. That fools a lot of people, so I can't really see how this is going to fail.

This is going to be HUGE!

Buy a load of Sigma SD14s off of eBay and rebrand them as "Nik0n 0camera". :p

I was just sitting here, not trying to spend any cash at all, when all of a sudden I ordered a HOYA PRO1D CIRCULAR POLARIZER filer for the nikkor 16-85... I'm going to bed now, before I buy more stuff.

Fuck fuck fuckety-fuck. I went into a camera store today, and left there with the nikkor 14-24 f2.8 and a new camera bag. God dammit....

i need a good wide angle for canon..

Anyone have experience with i-ttl cords? I'm thinking if I get an SB-600, they'd be the easiest/cheapest way to get the flash off camera. But I'm tempted to just save the money and get the 35/1.8 when it becomes available.

^ I'd appreciate some info on iTTL cords, too.

First of all, why are they so bleedin' expensive? What is the point of the SC-29 having an AF assist lamp when the flash already has one? Is that the only difference between the SC-29 and SC-28?

I just ordered a wireless flashgun trigger (1 transmitter, 2 receivers) for 25 euro. I'll shoot in Manual mode and just adjust as needed.