Sugestions for a new router

Wizegui

Car(s)
'93 Toyota Tercel, '01 Swagger Wagon
My POS Dlink WBR 2310 has acted up after only a little over a year's usage, and I need a new router. I prefer to get one that is under $100 and around $60 maybe. I need something reliable and a strong signal and preferably not a Dlink.

Go Linksys. I have the WRT54GL, and am quite happy with it. Runs DD-WRT, if that's the sort of stuff you're into.

I don't think you can buy that anymore... Hows the WRT54G2-CA?

If you are willing to spend CAD$100, then go with the Apple Airport Express. I have had nothing but good experiences with Apple Airport routers, and I don't even use Mac. On the other hand, my Linksys WRT54G was rubbish. A complete disaster that eventually just died.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB321AM/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

EDIT: Oh, and you can also hook a printer right up to it (letting you send documents to the printer from anywhere in your home), and it works with speakers to act as a wireless streaming music hub.

As for range, I can get internet while three storeys down and outside, and that's with the old G one.

Last edited:
I would prefer not to spend $100 on a router. The features look great, but it definitely is out of my price range. Perhaps if it were more like $79.99, then i would perhaps consider it. It is quite tempting though, considering that from your experience, it has a very decent range, and it's wireless N compatible. Also, with the USB socket, I *could use it to charge my iPod touch and stream music. Are there any other cheaper alternatives?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ooo Sounds tempting. I'll go think about it first. Thanks for the heads up, mate :)

Yeah, no problem. Good luck!

I would recommend going with Linksys. If you're looking to save, and you have time, try watching dealnews. They have a section for routers, and there is usually a couple Linksys in there.

WRT54G + Tomato F/W is great!

+1, I absolutely love my WRT54GL + Tomato (currently on a 258-day uptime). It's basically the same as the older, awesomer V1-4 WRT54G routers (and is still available for about USD$60). For V5 and later, they halved the RAM and used a weaker processor to save money, so they couldn't run the same nifty custom firmwares, can't handle as many connections, etc., which is probably why darkshark0159's sucked.

How is the WRT54GL in terms of range? I mean if you look at the price, it is expensive compared to a refurbished Apple Airport that's faster and less clunky (though I don't really mind the chunkiness. My old and currently broken Dlink has an appalling range.

The one in my mom's house in the States gets pretty good range (everywhere in the house, and even a little signal across the street). The one I have here doesn't even reach downstairs, but that could be because the house here is made out of concrete. :p

The USB port of the Airport Extreme does sound pretty nifty, though.

I absolutely recommend the Linksys WRT54GL. With the tomato or DD-WRT firmware, you can't go wrong with it as they offer advanced features not usually available in the home routers.

And I see you?re in BC. If you go with a DSL ISP that supports MLPPP, you can combine 2 DSL lines as one with the tomato/mlppp firmware, boosting your download and your upload speed.

And about the range: my router is in the basement and I have no problems getting the signal from the second floor.

How is the WRT54GL in terms of range? I mean if you look at the price, it is expensive compared to a refurbished Apple Airport that's faster and less clunky (though I don't really mind the chunkiness. My old and currently broken Dlink has an appalling range.
Well, with custom f/w on the WRT's you can rock almost any broadcast power you want. So I can reach all the way across my house. And I can microwave my nuts standing right next to it! Alton Brown told me to not have any unitaskers ;)