Suggestions to get ma Tail a Wagon.....

WTF is up with the forum? Why is my post about the 159 and Ice's reply missing from this thread?

Viper had to restore a backup after changes were pushed to the production forum instead of the test one by mistake. A few hours of forum activity was lost because of this.

WTF is up with the forum? Why is my post about the 159 and Ice's reply missing from this thread?

Please post again - as a 159 owner your feedback is both welcomed and appreciated.

So, the 159. It is actually a rather well built, solid feeling car, if a bit heavy. Most of them are FWD, AWD came with the 5-pot Diseasel and the V6.

Generally, it has less weaknesses than the 156, the biggest non-engine specific one might be weak and leaking steering rack on the pre-2008 cars. Not sure how GB treats diesels, but the recommendable engines are actually those, even though all of them have DPF. The best option (and also the most plentiful) is the 1.9 JTDm 16v 150hp- reasonably reliable, doesn't weigh too much, can be easily chipped for more power and torkwes. Interesting, but thirstier, nose-heavier and less reliable (weak turbo, cracking heads) is the 2.4 JTDm 20v 200/210 hp. Sounds awesome for a diesel and pulls like a train, but is less fun the B-roads. I had the 175hp version in my first 156 and loved it despite the flaws.

Check out the 2.4 in action:

There is also the 2.0 JTDm 170 hp that came in 2010 and is also a good choice because of the power/consumption ratio.

The petrols were mediocre GM units somewhat improved by Italians - until the all-Italian 200hp 1750 TBi came along in 2009. That is the petrol engine to have (it also goes into the 4C and Giulietta QV, albeit with alu block and different turbo), the rest can be ignored because of thirst, characterlessness and potential problems.

Desirable options: parking sensors, cruise control, heated seats, Bose audio (sounds good!), TI package (sporty seats, sports suspension, bigger front brakes)

Not so desirable options: automatic transmission (rather rare anyway), satnav (it's rather old and clumsy, ahy phone with google maps will do a better job for less than what a map update costs)

I like my 159 a lot and it's been pretty reliable since I bought it two years ago (*knocks on the 156's wooden wheel*). Only needed regular service, a new battery and 5th door lock change (was done under warranty). The ride is just my cup of tea - sporty, but not harsh. That's something VAG cars (namely Skodas which I drove the most) somehow can't manage. Also their cars are kinda devoid of feeling in the steering wheel, whereas the Alfa sends a lot of info to you. The practicality is there, the luggage space is reasonably big, but an Octavia Combi will beat the 159 in this department any time. In fact, most wagons of this size will.

If there's something more you'd like to know, feel free to ask.

Isn?t that U-Connect now since FCA owns them?

There is also the 2.0 JTDm 170 hp that came in 2010 and is also a good choice because of the power/consumption ratio.

I guess that's the single-turbo version of my engine. While I love the wide powerband, NVH is severely lacking. It's about as refined as a turn of the century 1.9 TDI.

As for consumption, I'm getting about the same mileage or slightly worse than my Octavia 1.4 TSI DSG did. It's about 500kg heavier though and has AWD and a 6-speed Aisin automatic. I'm not complaining because I know what kind of milage a 2.0T in the same car would get me. No thanks.

I put some 60,000km on a 2012 Octavia Combi between 2012 and 2017. Here are my ?0.02:

+ Huge boot. This is one thing I miss because I do need to carry a lot of shit from time to time. However, the boot on the liftback is nearly as huge. The difference is like 20-30 liters and it's all above the parcel shelf IIRC.
- The boot is huge in part because there's no false floor, just carpeting on top of the spare wheel. There's nowhere to stash the towing strap, jumper cables, detachable towball and whatnot.

+ Legroom is more than decent, both front and back. I'm ~198cm ish and most of it is legs. I could only barely reach the pedals with the seat all the way back. However, you can tell it's a stretched Golf because at that point my ears were far behind the B pillar. You can also tell by how the floorpan comes out a bit in front of the rear seat cushion. They moved the rear seat back a bit as well.
- It's narrow. Again, it's built on a small car platform. I'm not exactly thin and if I sit next to myself, I'm rubbing shoulders.
- The load capacity is pretty bad. Four adult passengers and some luggage and it's a handful if you need to swerve. I was surprised.

+ Excellent dipped-beam lights, as long as you go with xenons anyway. I've never been in a car with halogens. All bulbs in the car are easy to replace, by the way.

- ROAD NOISE. This is more of an issue in Scandinavia, I guess, where the road surface is coarse because everyone and their dog uses studded tyres in winter. The equivalent Golf is far, far quieter. My coworker owns a mk6 wagon, I've compared them. There's no contest.

- You can buy a loaded Laurin & Klement version with electric leather seats, satnav, AWD and whatnot but it's still a cheap car and the parking disc you put in the door pocket will go SCRRRAPE CLONK when you brake at the first light and then SCRRRAAPE CLONK again when you accelerate away.... because the door pocket is hard plastic.

During my ownership, my car needed a new headlight because water got into it at the car wash and ruined the xenon levelling electronics. Also new front sway bar droplinks (these are on tons of VAG cars and a huge seller at my job right now) and a side indicator... which is LED and in the mirror. Also a water pump, which failed right before 60,000km. The pump on the 1.4 TSI is on the accessory belt though so it was an easy fix... once they managed to source the part. I had one in stock at my own job, but I was 500km up north when my car conked out. :p

Last edited:
Hey I just need a radio and a CD player, AUX in would be a bonus.

That 2.4 sounds glorious though! :wub:

I’m just seeing a search page with no results...

I see a Skoda wagon.

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI CR vRS 5dr>1 OWNER+LTD EDITION NO 455

I liked the vRS Sokda work used to have as a pool car, that was a 56 plate petrol and the damn thing flew. Interior plastics were terrible though, this looks like it could be better. Not sure about the wheels myself, bit fugly but I expect they are original.

I wouldn't listen to any advice from me though, I'm tempted to buy this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-740-estate/173027363936?hash=item28493c0c60:g:VnAAAOSw1JVaLpmN

Also MWF, look in the avatar thread damnit, I made you something. :lol:

So..... Any news?

Nope. Probably not going to happen for a while at least. Currently going through the process of securing MWF Jr's move from living with his mum and her new husband into here and need to get that sorted and see how it impacts on the household finances over the coming months. Car change isn't likely to happen before 2019 unless something catastrophic happens in the interim. Be nice to have a new toy for my 50th though ie Oct 2019. Want a new kitchen first though.