Surge protection required for LCD TV's?

bobo_1314

I'm planning to get a new LCD TV in the next few weeks, and some people (and especially the salespeople at the shop) that surge protection is a must for these kinds of televisions; is there some truth to that? I know I'm probably the last person in this forum to get a LCD/plasma TV, so if I asked something stupid please be gentle with me. Thank you in advance!

well i think if u get a surge then all of your other sensitive electronic devices will implode
therfore your power authority will go to great lengths to prevent surges

oh yea and those monster cables are a scam you can get hdmi cables on the net for $10 the stands in stores are rigged i seen where a test was done with ''oxygen free '' speaker wire and using a coat hanger and an audiophile could not tell the difference :blink::cool:

you should have a lightning rod installed though!

I think my home has some sort of "lightning protection," which brings the lightning voltage directly to the ground if lightning hits my house. However, people are telling me that it's the power outages that will hurt the TV; so while the TV is on and then all of a sudden the power's out then that will *maybe* cause the TV to explode? Is that something I should worry about, or it's another myth made up by the good ol' salesman?

An lcd tv isn't anymore likely to go bust in a power surge situation than a standard tube tv. Having said that, a surge protector is a wise investment for any expensive electronic equipment, 30 bucks is small change compared to buying a new tv, computer, xbox ....

All of my electronics are on surge protectors or battery backups if they have a harddrive.

Surge protectors are very cheap, so you may as well get one just to be on the safe side.

OK, so a surge protector is worth getting........I see some cost a few bucks, and some cost like a couple hundred bucks; so what kind of surge protectors do you folks recommend?

You should be able to get an 1800 joule surge protector for around 30 bucks, since it's for a tv you should get one that has a tv in and out.