No 56k: Swedish Heavy Metal: 1995 SAAB 900S

tone76

Car(s)
05 Honda Jazz, 95 SAAB 900S, 97 Mazda 121
Just bought this today. It needs a wash. I blame Final Gear for encouraging me to buy it. Enjoy!

4230947756_e587350bff_b.jpg

4230946824_92d5bbb34e_b.jpg
4230198617_242ddec560_b.jpg

Last pic has proof of ownership. Look closely at the dust on the back window. ;)

Last edited:
You appear to have chosen the wrong engine.

You should have got the turbo, they aren't that more expensive.

I'm understanding you got the 2.3L engine? Those last forever though.

You appear to have chosen the wrong engine.

Yes and no.

Kip_6666 said:
You should have got the turbo, they aren't that more expensive.

I'm understanding you got the 2.3L engine? Those last forever though.

It's not the turbo, but the 2.3 NA probably the best mix of reliability and power in the NG 900 range. The 2.3 Turbo is still better as a performance engine, but this appears to come at the expense of reliability. At least I didn't buy the V6 - those things are appalling. :barf:

Still, for what I paid, beggars can't be choosers. To buy a NG 900 Turbo in similar condition would have been double the price, and there's no guarantee that it would be in as good condition as this one (1 owner since new, full service history ... the original spare master key is still in its original plastic packet!). I paid around AUD $2,300 for it (1,400 Euro). I'm quite happy with that. At least it will keep me happy until I track down a nice 9-3 Viggen one day ... :D

Last edited:
Nice looking Saab. :D Now ditch those wheels!

5 speed? :mrgreen: Nice Saaaaaaab, either way

Nice looking Saab. :D Now ditch those wheels!

If I come across a set of Aero wheels in good condition for cheap, I'll change the wheels over.

In case you've forgotten what SAAB Aero wheels look like:
080336_wheel.jpg

Lovely trollcar!

Congrats on a nice car. I want one of these (or preferably the 1st gen 9-3) as well, but I need to save some money first.

My FWD non-turbo swede is faster than yours :dance::dance::dance:

My FWD non-turbo swede is faster than yours :dance::dance::dance:

It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it. :cool:

And yeah ... it's a 5 speed manual. The perverse thing is that most of the Turbo NG900s and 9-3s sold in Australia were automatic. Really ... if you spend the extra coin on a more potent engine, why would you then destroy most of the performance gains by going for a slushbox? It doesn't make sense to me ...

I don't have any major mods planned at this stage. It needs a service, so I was planning on swapping over to a K&N Air Filter in the process, but that's about it for now. Oh, if I find a cheap set of Aero wheels I'll be buying them (and taking pics). That could take a while.

Thanks for the feedback and not giving me too much shit for buying a non-turbo. ;)

Last edited:
What kind of km's does it have?

Edit: I think I drove this exact 900NG 2.3 some years ago, and the only real niggle was the autobox. How stiff is your clutch, by the way?

Last edited:
The perverse thing is that most of the Turbo NG900s and 9-3s sold in Australia were automatic. Really ... if you spend the extra coin on a more potent engine, why would you then destroy most of the performance gains by going for a slushbox? It doesn't make sense to me ...

Simple - any performance was ruined from the beginning by being delivered through the front wheels, so you might as well give it smooth acceleration. :p

And yeah ... it's a 5 speed manual. The perverse thing is that most of the Turbo NG900s and 9-3s sold in Australia were automatic. Really ... if you spend the extra coin on a more potent engine, why would you then destroy most of the performance gains by going for a slushbox? It doesn't make sense to me ...

What can I say? ALL Volvo 850 Turbos in the states are automatics. I guess the Swedes simply decided that the Americans can't handle a powerful car with a manual gearbox...sheesh.
Luckily, the automatic in the 850 isn't so bad...when it's working :)

What kind of km's does it have?

Edit: I think I drove this exact 900NG 2.3 some years ago, and the only real niggle was the autobox. How stiff is your clutch, by the way?

231,000km. The clutch is a little heavy, but the shift itself feels nice and tight. I have read that the NG 900s tend to have clutch cable issues. The clutch cable was replaced about 100,000km ago according to service records. Might be due again soon.

What can I say? ALL Volvo 850 Turbos in the states are automatics. I guess the Swedes simply decided that the Americans can't handle a powerful car with a manual gearbox...sheesh.

I figure that's a US market thing - isn't the market for 'sticks' very small over there?

Luckily, the automatic in the 850 isn't so bad...when it's working :)

I don't know what it is about 1990s Swedish cars and automatic transmissions - Saabs are supposed to lunch their auto trannies on a regular basis. TBH, had this car been a V6 Auto, there would have been no way in the world I would have even considered it ... no matter how complete the service history.

Last edited:
Yeah, I drove a manual 2.3 Talladega last year and it was noticeably stiff.

I figure that's a US market thing - isn't the market for 'sticks' very small over there?

Sadly, it is. I had to hunt for my car, but there are a select few :cool:

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Swede-mobile!

I always passed a field with a W123 Merc and a Saab 900 hatch on my way to Uni, now both cars are gone :cry: