Take us for a drive in your country

Is Vimeo a better hosting site than YouTube? I know the Tube has a problem with whatever is playing on the radio and is limited to 15 minutes, is it the same at Vimeo?

Well, I uploaded it to Vimeo for the reason you mentioned. I didn't dig very deep into Vimeo yet but the problem is of course, that you have to PAY for it, when you want to upload more than 500 MB per week.

Nuts to that! I'll deal with the Tube before I pay.

driving in the Finnish countryside... with a 1934 Chevrolet sedan delivery hot rod.

Here's a bit of a cruise through part of Dallas from yesterday's snow-and-ice-infested roads. Yes, when the car goes sideways I was hanging the tail out on purpose :p , even though the Crown Vic isn't fond of the notion. Had to audioswap it, YouTube didn't like what was on the stereo. Also, tried out iMovie's post-production image stabilization feature, not sure if I like how it came out.

YAY for RWD sidewayness.

On the note I miss having a LSD so im gonna go buy one.

Here's the footage of a cruise through parts of Dallas proper, as filmed from a GoPro 960 attached to the left caseguard of my Honda motorcycle. These are in HD (720), so select that resolution option for best video and audio quality. This is NOT the Dallas Area Driving Loop video, but was filmed immediately afterwards. No stereo (I don't have a Goldwing) or dubbed in audio; instead lots of neat mechanical noises and the sound of a proper Honda four.

In case someone is wondering, my turn signal beeper has been taken out and shot which is why it isn't audible. :D

Last edited:
Ended up with what I call the "reverse sunroof mount."

SNC_110219_173305.jpg

SNC_110219_173430.jpg

SNC_110219_173453.jpg

Here's the view, as taken by the 5MP sensor of the GoPro; slightly different field of view as the 720p video, as you will see.
GOPR0045.JPG

Here's the result, as I just had to test it out in yet another mountain drive about an hour out of town. Once again, no stereo so just "engine music" :)

Now that is clever!

Well done, MacGyver!

Heres my contribution to the thread. I used the rubbery case of my phone and wedged it between my windshield and dash, worked pretty good but I'll figure out a different way next time.

Heres a bit of my drive to work, didn't show it all as nobody wants to see 10 minutes more of sitting at red lights.

Driving in Finland on some smaller gravel roads, and also on bigger tramac road at the start and at the end of the video.

Sorry for the radio, forgot it on. :)

Last edited:
That's a very good demonstration of how one can drive with snow tires. Also amazing, how quickly it gets dark there.

Last edited:
Aretha Franklin approves of your video.

Heres my contribution to the thread. I used the rubbery case of my phone and wedged it between my windshield and dash, worked pretty good but I'll figure out a different way next time.

Heres a bit of my drive to work, didn't show it all as nobody wants to see 10 minutes more of sitting at red lights.

I've been testing a different with the iPhone 4 (works specifically because of the angular nature of the phone). Wedge it between the headrest and the seat it gives a nice high filming position and it stays nice and steady the whole time. I've only made a few test videos, I want to go to this one particular road here but need to do it during the day as the sensor is a bit weak for night time.
That's a very good demonstration of how one can drive with snow tires.
Agreed that looks faster than what I would be able to do on those roads.

Last edited:
I have actually studded winter tires on my car, but I think proper unstudded winter tires would grip almost as well on the road surfaces in the video. The speed limit on all those roads is actually 80 km/h (50 mph), and that is how fast I'm driving in the video almost all the time. You could easily get your car in nice slide at those speeds if you wanted to, but I did not feel like showing off for the camera.

I think it got dark quickly because sun had already set when the I started filming.

I would have guessed you did 80 or 90 km/h, maybe sometimes a bit faster ;) I have gotten an eye for that from my own videos :)

I really like the way you drive on snow, it shows that you know what you're doing. Going sideways or trying to drift on snow and ice will only sooner or later make you having a close encounter with the ditch, a guardrail or a tree. It's easy to impress people in winter with "drifting", while in truth they're just showing off or trying to sell their struggle with the car as driving skills.

You made a very good demonstration of how to properly drive on snowy roads: Quickly but not careening, concentrated with everything under control and -- most of all -- with the right tires! They way you drove there, isn't possible with summer rubbers.

Here's a winter video I did in December 2009 with a BMW X3. It wasn't equipped with studded tires but "normal" winter tires, that also work on dry roads up to 240 km/h. The roads were covered in a thin layer of snow, which sometimes had ice beneath it. So studded tires wouldn't do any good anyway:

[video=youtube;VcqC-t_6mgo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcqC-t_6mgo[/video]

On a side note: Studded winter tires are not allowed here, since the damage they do to the roads, exceeds their benefits by far. Most of the time we don't have a constant snow surface. As far as I know, only snow ploughs are allowed to use them and there is a certain spot of Germany near Bad Reichenhall in the Alps, where it still legal for private cars. But then you are limited to 50 km/h and have to have a sticker on the back of your car.

When you get to an area, where you can't go on with snow tires anymore, there is still the option of snow chains. In certain conditions in mountain regions it can even become mandatory to use them.

Last edited:
Well, the Pony Express Run was canceled at the last minute so Tiff and I took the X for a quick drive in the desert.

We did hit some traffic

Sorry for the audio swap, but the only thing on the recording was the rattling of the camera's screen against the camera casing.

Pothole slalom in Germany. Speedlimit goes down to 10km/h because of potholes. And almost every second road is like this by now, it is pathetic.

Pothole slalom in Germany. Speedlimit goes down to 10km/h because of potholes. And almost every second road is like this by now, it is pathetic.

I feel your pain :(

(A more correct way would be 'every other road", it would have been every second road in Russian as well :) ) - please don't take offense I'm not trying to make fun of you.

It's not that bad where I live. Obviously we were lucky this year.