Take us for a drive in your country

I tried to make videos like those, but had no way to fix the camera, so the video turned all shaky. How do you fix the camera in your car in a cheap easy way? I've got a Sony Cybershot.

Some people use suction cups, others Velcro or gooseneck mounts. I have Velcro pads on the Pathfinder and Crown Vic for other stuff so I just use those.

On the other hand, I just lay the camera on the dash of the Jags. Get nice stable video. :mrgreen:

I tried to make videos like those, but had no way to fix the camera, so the video turned all shaky. How do you fix the camera in your car in a cheap easy way? I've got a Sony Cybershot.

A few years ago, I went looking for a solution to this problem. Couldn't find anything initially so I made my own. It attached to the headrest posts by U-bolts. It was hopeless. I didn't realise how much the squab of the seat wobbles as the car is in motion.

Finally, I found the Monster-Pod. It is cheap (about AUD$40) and consists of a fabric bowl filled with silly putty. I just slap it on the dash board and it works pretty well ... almost no wobble (and I have quite a heavy JVC Everio 3CCD camera) and it doesn't leave any marks afterwards.

Some people use suction cups, others Velcro or gooseneck mounts. I have Velcro pads on the Pathfinder and Crown Vic for other stuff so I just use those.

On the other hand, I just lay the camera on the dash of the Jags. Get nice stable video. :mrgreen:

I've tried velcro, but it wasn't stable enough.

A few years ago, I went looking for a solution to this problem. Couldn't find anything initially so I made my own. It attached to the headrest posts by U-bolts. It was hopeless. I didn't realise how much the squab of the seat wobbles as the car is in motion.

Finally, I found the Monster-Pod. It is cheap (about AUD$40) and consists of a fabric bowl filled with silly putty. I just slap it on the dash board and it works pretty well ... almost no wobble (and I have quite a heavy JVC Everio 3CCD camera) and it doesn't leave any marks afterwards.

That looks perfect.

If you want a cheap mount; just search 'suction mount' on eBay; I got one of these for ?4. Its not brilliant, but it works. Heres a video I made with it, which was mainly a test for it. I now have a few better ideas of how to secure it better - and it works on glass a lot better than the bodywork.

And if I ever get the chance during the holidays I might film the joyous run from home to uni. That is; M25, M1, M45 and some A-Roads. Its full of Britishness. And roadworks.
Or maybe some other route. Theres some nice places around me - maybe a quick tour of west Kent. :p

If you want a cheap mount; just search 'suction mount' on eBay; I got one of these for ?4. Its not brilliant, but it works. Heres a video I made with it, which was mainly a test for it. I now have a few better ideas of how to secure it better - and it works on glass a lot better than the bodywork.

And if I ever get the chance during the holidays I might film the joyous run from home to uni. That is; M25, M1, M45 and some A-Roads. Its full of Britishness. And roadworks.
Or maybe some other route. Theres some nice places around me - maybe a quick tour of west Kent. :p

Thanks, going to look for it.

Damn, this suction mount thing isn't available for shipping over here. Need to find another one :(

And I had this idea of just slabbing a camera on the car and driving for a while, I just didn't realise other people had the same interest :p

Will do on the weekend

You know, prizrak, you should take a page from AiR's book and post the chase scene from The French Connection.

And those Getaway in Stockholm videos are shot at around 3 or 4 in the morning, if I recall.

ROFL funnily enough that would show you my entire neighborhood since it goes past my house and my high school, though the house wasn't there in the 70's :)

Even 3 or 4 in the morning is not that empty outside of highways. Though it depends where out on LI its like that after 10pm :p
See wikipedia-article about all-way stops, paragraph "benefits and disadvantages". Roundabouts don't have the first advantage, but you have less disadvantages: the average delay is less, the fuel consumption and emission of hydrocarbons are lowered since not everybody has to grind to a halt and you only have STOP-signs where it's necessary so they are respected more.

It's only a matter of getting used to it. According to the article roundabouts, paragraph "public opinion", it is clear that once the roundabout is installed and running for some time, the public opinion raises because people get used to it and see the advantages which weren't clear beforehand.

In Germany we don't have all-way stops, but there were traffic lights almost everywhere where you have roundabouts now. In my old hometown there was a 5-way intersection which had a bent major road with traffic lights, it was a nightmare since there was little traffic from three directions (the minor roads), but much traffic from two directions (the two sections of the major road). Sometimes when you just wanted to drive on the major road you had to wait for the three green phases of the minor roads even when there was no traffic at all from those roads (in the 1990's there weren't many lights with sensors compared to today).
After the roundabout has been built the traffic got much more fluent, even from the minor roads the waiting time in average reduced.
I got no problem with roundabouts but going by that video alone the second one was entirely too much wait. I'd rather stop for a second and then go then wait for all the roundabout traffic to go through. Also people here can't figure out all way stops much less roundabouts :p Traffic lights are evil and entirely overused IMO.

@Spectre I am dissapointed you were behind a Prius and there were no shooting of the car....

I need to get a mount for my phone so I can make a vid for you guys. It will be very boring cuz there is retarded traffic most of the time. I really should take a video of my driving in Manhattan with the cabs :p

Last edited:
I've got a lot of incredible road clips filmed from over here (including the Transfagarasan) and I'll post them if I can get the time to get the off the MiniDV tapes.

@Spectre I am dissapointed you were behind a Prius and there were no shooting of the car...

It is difficult to fire a weapon whilst riding a motorcycle. Not impossible, mind you, but difficult. And since it was intended to be a leisurely ride, I couldn't be arsed. That said, there was a bit of "pushing" going on with the headlight... :D

I was thinking of heading out to Best Buy this afternoon. It's gorgeous weather, maybe I'll film it.

No really recent videos, but these two sum up driving in the saggy middle of UKania. Well, where I drive anyway.

It is difficult to fire a weapon whilst riding a motorcycle. Not impossible, mind you, but difficult. And since it was intended to be a leisurely ride, I couldn't be arsed. That said, there was a bit of "pushing" going on with the headlight... :D

I have faith in you :p Yes I noticed that you were riding noticeably closer to it than other cars :p

Yeah - did you know that most motorcycle headlights are at just the right height that if you ride 'just so' you can actually get blinding glare reflected into the face of a Prius driver from both the inside and outside rear view mirrors?

I have a *very* bright HID retrofit on that bike. :D Plus I can stop shorter on it than the Prius can (assuming the Prius brakes were working properly, which is never a good assumption); as I was guarding the brakes I wasn't in any danger.

That's what the bastard deserves for holding up traffic. Even Grandpa in the land barge Town Car went around him. Note that the 'Pius' then went the wrong way for slower traffic.

Last edited:
Well here's my trip to and from Best Buy. You get to see a good portion of northeast Walnut Creek, California, except downtown which is a zoo.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a_Xac0374A[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hcu_3QCOBk[/youtube]

Take a gander at the bright orange Lexus that appears about a minute into vid 2. :lol:

Last edited:
I'll film my daily commute tomorrow, I'll just jam my camera between the seat and the head rest.