Take us for a drive in your country

I'd do this if I had a camera... I could film my commute to uni, if you'd like hearing some very Aussie language as I have about 3 - 4 near-misses with the knuckle-dragging populace I share the roads with here, or get stuck behind gramps in a beige Camry doing 50km/h in a 60 zone. :lol:

Last edited:
Random stuff from me:

[video=youtube;iTuS-UDS9pY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTuS-UDS9pY[/video]

[video=youtube;R2hSZHk19-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2hSZHk19-k[/video]

Adu, Sued and me scouting for Ringmeet cruise:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - did you know that most motorcycle headlights are at just the right height that if you ride 'just so' you can actually get blinding glare reflected into the face of a Prius driver from both the inside and outside rear view mirrors?

I have a *very* bright HID retrofit on that bike. :D Plus I can stop shorter on it than the Prius can (assuming the Prius brakes were working properly, which is never a good assumption); as I was guarding the brakes I wasn't in any danger.

That's what the bastard deserves for holding up traffic. Even Grandpa in the land barge Town Car went around him. Note that the 'Pius' then went the wrong way for slower traffic.

You not gonna be catching any flak from me on that one :)

Here's a video from 3 years ago, when Me, my Dad, And my Brother bought our VW Bus in Goa in drove it home to Mumbai, The video was recorded and edited by my Brother.
[video=youtube;Irb-Y1D_H0Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irb-Y1D_H0Y[/video]
Another video by my Brother, of a small classic car meet/drive in Mumbai:

It is impressive. I'm subbed to a bloke on Youtube who buys all these little cameras and tests them, not many have been that good. I'd say it's almost better than my Sanyo.

I bought one, knowing it'll be a lottery which version I'll get but hey a camera shipped from the other side of the world for less than a pizza, I'm willing to gamle. It's the 720x480-kind, all I know. There are 7 different versions of the 720, and 11 in total.

It's apparently called the 808 and this site has it all on them
http://www.chucklohr.com/808/

I like this concept/thread, though it may seem corny to some outsiders, I like making drive-time videos.

When I first got my miniDV camera I used to tape me wandering around all the time, without the thought of using it for anything but....nothing :D

I'm going to plop my D90 in the back window and record my drive to work, last night for some reason it only recorded a minute..hopefully I have more luck today.

I will make it a point to post around late February, I'm planning a little trip.

For Germany, see MacGuffin's car review threads...

Well, only Northern Germany so far -- plus a bit of the Harz Mountains in the "Secret Driving Roads" thread :)

In the future, though, I might show a bit more than that.

I have #3 iirc :)

Just to point out that your mileage and capture quality might vary considerably with those 808 cams. I have a #3 as well and the quality isn't nearly as good as the one D-Fence has. Adequate for what I want to use it for, but not great. See my video upthread for what it produces.

Found two more:

Passat drivers are indeed the biggest dickheads on the German Autobahns -- much worse than Audi or BMW drivers. Even worse than white van drivers in my opinion.

I think it's because mostly they're driven my travelling salesmen and service technicians, who drive 100,000 km a year and think they kinda own the road and everyone else are just amateurs.

They don't get impressed a bit, when you near them with considerably higher speed from behind. They remain on the left lane, no matter what.

Last edited:
Just to point out that your mileage and capture quality might vary considerably with those 808 cams. I have a #3 as well and the quality isn't nearly as good as the one D-Fence has. Adequate for what I want to use it for, but not great. See my video upthread for what it produces.

Yes I've dug around and as often with cheap chinese stuff it seems there isnt just one factory churning these out, and not just one version made in the same factory even, the only thing that seems to be common to all versions is the case (which according to the 808 page is painted with 1500 ppm lead paint (western limit is 600 or so)) :D
On the other hand finding out what you get is part of the adventure, and it's not often you get both adventure and gadgets from China for less than a kebab! And they even throw in free lead! Deal of the century!

Last edited:
Unless you actually order lead (to melt down and make bullets with - the better to reduce the cost of target practice) - in which case what you get is a brick of zinc with no lead, as a friend found out. :p

So, the rule around here is, "Everything made in China contains lead, except lead, which does not."
:p

Last edited:
Here is a quick one I made last night, driving from Killara to Crows Nest in Sydney. I used the Monster-Pod (mentioned above) to mount the camera. Unfortunately, the re-encoding has degraded the sound quite a bit.