Take us for a drive in your country

The GoPro didn't cope well with changing light conditions, so there are a few whiteouts.

Try using Spot Metering in the settings, then make sure that the center of the scene that the camera is recording is pointed out the window (which your mounting position seems to be). I've had to throw away quite a few clips due to not realizing how to make the camera expose properly.

My last video was cut short due to me fighting with Windows Movie Maker to accept GoPro's MP4 files. I've since fixed it so here's a few missing sequences from my rear bumper video:

[video=youtube;-ymWz50ZHGM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ymWz50ZHGM&feature=player_detailpage#t=150s[/video]

New content starts at 2:30.

[youtube]85Oo5my41zc[/youtube]

GoPro HD Hero, stuck onto the passenger side window using the suction cup, hence it was a little "bouncy".

Last edited:
Try using Spot Metering in the settings, then make sure that the center of the scene that the camera is recording is pointed out the window (which your mounting position seems to be). I've had to throw away quite a few clips due to not realizing how to make the camera expose properly.

Have you actually had success with that? That's what the manual states too but my experience was that it made little to no difference, the outside part of the picture was still always washed out.

So I just gave up and started mounting the camera up against the windshield almost every time... I think it's better for a thread such as this anyway, you see more of the road and your locale. Plus my car is not even manual so there is nothing to see other than a pair of hairy forearms if I'm wearing short sleeves.

Obviously the ideal is mounting outside, but that isn't always feasible and I think would draw some weird looks at intersections and whatnot which might not be desirable every time you drive.

Last edited:

Thanks, I'll give that a go next time I'm out in the middle of the day. I just wish I'd had the camera when I did that same trip last week (later in the day), the light was superb on that occasion.

Can I ask why you guys are even so intent on capturing the interior of the car? This thread is about showing off your neck of the woods, so I would assume the main objective would be to capture the roads and scenery, and not a static image of your interior. ;)

^ I've been doing it because the suction mount for the GoPro seems to work best on the side window (I have not had any success in getting it to stick to the sunroof). Also, technically the thread is "Take us for a drive ... " .. so I have put you (almost) in the passenger seat. :)

Maybe it's me to blame, because I started to make such videos for my personal car reviews. There the intention was to also show the interior.

Or maybe I'm just taking myself too important now and it simply has become some kind of fashion :)

Anyway, I make a clear distinction between videos for my car reviews and videos to show the landscape.

My last video was cut short due to me fighting with Windows Movie Maker to accept GoPro's MP4 files. I've since fixed it so here's a few missing sequences from my rear bumper video:

[video=youtube;-ymWz50ZHGM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ymWz50ZHGM&feature=player_detailpage#t=150s[/video]

New content starts at 2:30.

This should be in the NSFW section...oh, that NOISE!

Last edited:
Can I ask why you guys are even so intent on capturing the interior of the car? This thread is about showing off your neck of the woods, so I would assume the main objective would be to capture the roads and scenery, and not a static image of your interior. ;)

You forget that you're talking to a couple of M3 drivers, who as you know have NO FRIENDS. We instead can only impress ourselves by recording videos that show our awesome skillz :p

All kidding aside, being able to see yourself driving is actually a good learning tool to teach yourself good driving habits. I didn't realize that I rest my shifting hand on the lever for far too long after each gear change, for example, until the GoPro showed me.

Have you actually had success with that? That's what the manual states too but my experience was that it made little to no difference, the outside part of the picture was still always washed out.

You have to make absolutely sure that the center spot of the sensor is indeed pointed out the windshield, and not caught staring at something in your dark interior. With the camera adjusting exposure based on your interior, then inevitably the scene outside (the important stuff) will be over-exposed. Center-weighted average setting doesn't help much either. Then, without an easy way to quickly review your footage, it was a lot of trial-and-error before I got the positioning down. Took me about 2 months of daily recording to nail the location, actually.

That noise is great...

I've been doing it because the suction mount for the GoPro seems to work best on the side window (I have not had any success in getting it to stick to the sunroof). Also, technically the thread is "Take us for a drive ... " .. so I have put you (almost) in the passenger seat. :)

Really? The official suction cup? That's strange, it's stuck to any glass I've tried.

Maybe it's me to blame, because I started to make such videos for my personal car reviews. There the intention was to also show the interior.

Maybe, personally I think it probably has something to do with this being a Top Gear/Fifth Gear forum... watching those shows for years one's first thought would be to position the camera like they would.

You forget that you're talking to a couple of M3 drivers, who as you know have NO FRIENDS. We instead can only impress ourselves by recording videos that show our awesome skillz :p

I wasn't really singling out you two, it does seem like most anyone with a GoPro just mounts it on the side window and goes on their merry way.

I tried a bunch of times with center metering with no luck, nothing was blocking the middle of the image other than the rearview mirror which would have been off to the side. Anyway, to be honest I'm kind of losing interest in the GoPro and filming my drives already.

Here's another vid I cut together from the Harz trip I did about a year ago:

Reality of German Autobahn. Oh and YES that Giulietta driver was mad as fuck for what I did to him at the end, overtook me cursing later :D

What did you do?

But D-Fence drives a rebadged VW. :D

Seriously though, driving on the Ruhrschleichweg is even more annoying recently because of all the road works between Essen and Bochum. I had to restrain my right foot there a few weeks ago at 1 in the morning... lowest fuel-consumption I ever had with a car, though...

I don't. 60km/h my ass. Not at night. Oh and what I did was to block the guy trying to overtake on right by pulling out left behind him :)

I've never been to Belgium, but I gotta ask.

What cockery is this?

If I had to guess, I'd say that road was misused as a racing track but with those trees alongside it caused lots of fatalaties. Did you notice, that those narrowings are only where the trees are?

I guess that is someone's definite (and maybe desperate) attempt to make that road as unattractive as possible for speeders.

Won't stop the bikers, though...

Last edited: