Telegraph.co.uk's top 10 most annoying Americanisms - we can do better.

Car boot sale is the UK equivelant of a yard sale or garage sale. Normally we don't amass a houseful of junk so just fit it in the car's back end instead. Or the front end if we have a 911, but then there won't be any junk at all to sell.

My understanding of a garage/yard sale is that it is just 1 person selling in their own yard, whereas car boot sales are generally organised events where a load of people turn up in a field and root through each others shit:lol:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/182819
182819_e55c30bd.jpg

My understanding of a garage/yard sale is that it is just 1 person selling in their own yard, whereas car boot sales are generally organised events where a load of people turn up in a field and root through each others shit:lol:
182819_e55c30bd.jpg

I've never seen something like that. The closest thing I've seen is the above mentioned "flea marker" but even then, most people have tables, booths, etc...not just a parking lot and open car doors.

words dont always make sense!
They all have their own roots, and they exist for some reason or the other. this article is seriously one of the dumbest things Ive ever read...the author seems so stuck up! just because the list is so dumb and he seems so serious about it.

There are so many more that are more annoying - and the one I can think of right off the top of my head is the word "hella". It isnt truly "american" but it is from the San Francisco Bay area...and they say it all the time..."that song was hella sick"..."I got hella drunk last night"..."Thank you all hella much"..fucking pisses me off every time I hear it!!

Worse...kids not wanting to get in trouble for saying "hell" and saying "hecka."

The funniest thing to me about the SF Bay area is that everyone says "The City" when talking about San Francisco as if it's the only city...even though there's also Oakland, and San Jose (which is bigger both geographically, and population-wise). To me, saying "I'm going to the city" makes it sound like you're a country bumpkin headin' into town to catch a picture show before you need to come home and milk the goats.

Bay area people have their own wierd language...sounds so awkward that it makes me hate it. I Grew up in So Cal, and now I go to school in the Bay area...II had no idea they had their own dialect up there, not only that but their own music industry! I refuse to buy into the whole thing and now a lot of their sayings are (to me) just the most annoying americanisms/phraes/(words of the English language) that exist.

hecka is just retarted, the first time I heard it I just started laughing.

And the whole deal over "Happy Holidays"...I honestly dont understand why people make a fuss over it. I mean according to the Bill of Rights the government should have been using Happy Holidays in the first place. Now huge corporations (such as the Wal-Mart mentioned earlier) follow the government's lead on this issue. Is it really that important that one religion must be named out of all the religions that have festivals during the new year time?
I dont see what is so annoying about that americanism. Its the most neutral way to wish someone a happy season :)

Its the most neutral way to wish someone a happy season :)

Actually, that's more neutral, because they may not celebrate a holiday at all. I mean, besides Festivus. :lol:

As far as the music industry thing goes, yes, but that's also true of Seattle, Portland, Philly, Chicago, etc etc etc. I have a CD called "To: Elliot, From Portland" and it's an entire compilation tribute album to Elliot Smith, of all Portland, OR-area artists.

Honestly, CA should be divided into 3 states...SoCal, the Bay Area, and Nor Cal (like...the wilderness NorCal and Eureka...not Marin.)

1) I don't celebrate Christmas, it's just a day-off for me.

2) I don't get offended by someone wishing me a Merry Christmas and even with other one as well.

3) What kind of idiot would get offended?

1) I don't celebrate Christmas, it's just a day-off for me.

2) I don't get offended by someone wishing me a Merry Christmas and even with other one as well.

3) What kind of idiot would get offended?

hope I didnt seem like I was getting offended, I dont care what people say to me, im not religious. the thing that annoys me is the "MERRY CHRISTMAS OR DIE" people.

Worse...kids not wanting to get in trouble for saying "hell" and saying "hecka."

The funniest thing to me about the SF Bay area is that everyone says "The City" when talking about San Francisco as if it's the only city...even though there's also Oakland, and San Jose (which is bigger both geographically, and population-wise). To me, saying "I'm going to the city" makes it sound like you're a country bumpkin headin' into town to catch a picture show before you need to come home and milk the goats.

That's what people say about New York City here in upstate NY as well...only the difference is, NYC happens to be the capital of the universe and the hub of everything ever created by mankind. ;)

Bay area people have their own wierd language...sounds so awkward that it makes me hate it. I Grew up in So Cal, and now I go to school in the Bay area...II had no idea they had their own dialect up there, not only that but their own music industry! I refuse to buy into the whole thing and now a lot of their sayings are (to me) just the most annoying americanisms/phraes/(words of the English language) that exist.

hecka is just retarted, the first time I heard it I just started laughing.

And the whole deal over "Happy Holidays"...I honestly dont understand why people make a fuss over it. I mean according to the Bill of Rights the government should have been using Happy Holidays in the first place. Now huge corporations (such as the Wal-Mart mentioned earlier) follow the government's lead on this issue. Is it really that important that one religion must be named out of all the religions that have festivals during the new year time?
I dont see what is so annoying about that americanism. Its the most neutral way to wish someone a happy season :)

My work had a bunch of us come from around the country for a week, and one of us came from San Francisco and there was me from down here in Socal. Everyone thought we were just californians for about...oh 15 minutes. Then they noticed my judicious use of the word "dude" and his use of Hella/Hecka.

It's a surprisingly huge cultural divide from those in the north to us here down south.

And why does San Francisco get to keep "California" while the rest of us get dicked with "sort of" versions? I'd wager more people associate California with Socal than norcal.

IN all honesty though, that still inaccurate because it should be split more along the coast and the interior...though that may fuck the economy up on both ends, given all the food/farming and production are done in the interior counties.

Edit: and why not see if Oregon would take on "northern California." I'm sure our leader from the land will have something to say about this.

Yea Norcal and socal are really different, but hella and other various words are by far the most annoying slangs ive ever heard.

Socal has a lingo too, but theyre all english words/phrases. Up in the bay they just made shit up and started using it as words.

And why does San Francisco get to keep "California" while the rest of us get dicked with "sort of" versions?

Because John C. Dvorak lives in the SF Bay Area and has a huge ego, pretty much. :p

IN all honesty though, that still inaccurate because it should be split more along the coast and the interior...though that may fuck the economy up on both ends, given all the food/farming and production are done in the interior counties.

Edit: and why not see if Oregon would take on "northern California." I'm sure our leader from the land will have something to say about this.

There's a whole lot wrong with the idea, apparently, including disputes over freshwater sources.

For those of you still wondering about 'boot', I got to the public library today.

I looked up this :

http://img165.imageshack.**/img165/4323/03012009112md0.jpg

And it said this :

http://img254.imageshack.**/img254/2766/03012009111tv8.jpg

(my highlighting)

So, a "boot" then is either an uncovered space on the sides, or under-seat storage?