Test Drive Unlimited 2: Wanna get dirty?

"I got a virus warning, so I disabled my anti-virus." Genius.

"Everything's still fine."

How would you know? Did you expect that the virus will put your computer in flames?

Meh, i know its a false positive because of a few things i've done before.

The reason its given a false positive is that it works around secureROM anti-piracy protection.

But hey, nothing important is on this computer anyways, its a fresh install of Windows 7

Plus Norton deleted what it found.

Last edited:
Norton?!
Sorry, if you run Norton, you can't call that Windows 7 installation "fresh" any more.

Also if that Beta video is any indication of the end product, it's as bad as the first one, realism-speaking. First thing the guy does is go ploughing into a field and not losing any speed. 100mph on soft earth with an old Mustang ftw?

Last edited:
You actually do lose speed. Probably not as much as you want it to but you do lose speed.

But man.. come on. If you did that in the real world you'd find yourself collecting pieces of the bodywork - your car's and your own - from all over the field. Tiniest bump and you'd be rolling over, and over, and over.

Yes. That's why this is a game <_<

You can also smash into oncoming traffic at 200 mph and drive away.

And that's why this game can be won by a monkey.
GTA is a game and you can't do that.

And that's why this game can be won by a monkey.
GTA is a game and you can't do that.

Because you can't even go 200 mph. Cars are limited to somewhere around 80.

You can, however, go on a murderous rampage to the point where the city is infested with SWAT trying to kill you, then hide in a subway for a few minutes until they all just forget you existed. Where are you going with this?

EDIT: The point I am trying to make is that the game (TDU2) does not try to be remotely realistic. The car handling is closer than many other games but that's about it.

Last edited:
I'm going with it's pointless to have a driving game where you have no regard for keeping your car out of harm's way. I remember playing the first one and going 300kph on a road swerving through traffic like it was nothing, including the police who instead of chasing me for being a maniac gave me a friendly wave, and then slamming into the back of another car, sending it flying through my roof like I was driving the batmobile, and losing about 50 kph which I gained in about 2 seconds...
I dunno it kinda extracts from the atmosphere of driving a really good car not having to care about it at all.

Burnout is the only game I have seen work around that issue brilliantly. You get the satisfying smash, but can still continue the race. Otherwise I'd rather be able to keep going than have one crash force a restart of one of the very long challenges.

I know, that's what burnout is about and in that regard it's fine to have huge crashes and smashes, but TDU ... I don't know what they tried to be. Of course it's not a simulation, but stuff like using a real place (Hawaii) and real cars tells us they did want to stick to reality to some extent.
I was hoping TDU2 was gonna be TDU with some improved graphics, more cars but most of all a revamped driving model which included, but not limited to, a bit more realism.

I know, that's what burnout is about and in that regard it's fine to have huge crashes and smashes, but TDU ... I don't know what they tried to be. Of course it's not a simulation, but stuff like using a real place (Hawaii) and real cars tells us they did want to stick to reality to some extent.

You answered your own question. Its realistic to some extent.
Its a game where you could live like a multi millionaire rockstar who loves cars!

I was hoping TDU2 was gonna be TDU with some improved graphics, more cars but most of all a revamped driving model which included, but not limited to, a bit more realism.

I believe graphics are improved. Not sure about the car count. TDU handling was semi arcadish. I don't think they go after GT5/Forza level of handling.
I guess they just base it on, rear wheel drive cars over steer and and 4 wheel drive grips and so forth.

Yeah, but this is about test driving cars. They need more realism. Looking at the same car at mulitiple dealers, the haggle to bring down the price, the agony of waiting to see what the manager says about the deal, wondering if your credit will get approved, the joy of signing your name 200 times, the exhillaration of driving the car off the lot the first time, and the wonderful buyers remorse that you feel for three days in addition to the buyer's remorse nightmares. If they had THAT, then it would be worthy of being called Test Drive Unlimited. :)

Yeah, but this is about test driving cars. They need more realism. Looking at the same car at mulitiple dealers, the haggle to bring down the price, the agony of waiting to see what the manager says about the deal, wondering if your credit will get approved, the joy of signing your name 200 times, the exhillaration of driving the car off the lot the first time, and the wonderful buyers remorse that you feel for three days in addition to the buyer's remorse nightmares. If they had THAT, then it would be worthy of being called Test Drive Unlimited. :)

It's "Test Drive" not "Buy a Car" :p

Multi millionaires who love cars do die when they crash at 200 mph

That wouldn't make for a very fun game <_<

Imagine if iRacing deleted your account if you smashed your car :p

Last edited:
No but there are consequences to crashing your car. I'm not saying Game Over if you crash but at least total it off and lose a lot of money. At least you'd care enough to try and drive well, unlike in TDU where many times I found it easier to just ram the people off the road rather than look for the better line or dare go the wrong way.

Speaking of which it reminds me of how weird TDU was in respect to... if you were driving on your lane and minding your own business (which is what I did in the car delivery missions, so I wouldnt scratch it) then almost no traffic at all would come the other way, where as soon as you put a wheel in the oncoming traffic lane... 3 seconds later a whole convoy of trucks, cars and police would start to show in the distance coming your way :D

No but there are consequences to crashing your car. I'm not saying Game Over if you crash but at least total it off and lose a lot of money. At least you'd care enough to try and drive well, unlike in TDU where many times I found it easier to just ram the people off the road rather than look for the better line or dare go the wrong way.

Speaking of which it reminds me of how weird TDU was in respect to... if you were driving on your lane and minding your own business (which is what I did in the car delivery missions, so I wouldnt scratch it) then almost no traffic at all would come the other way, where as soon as you put a wheel in the oncoming traffic lane... 3 seconds later a whole convoy of trucks, cars and police would start to show in the distance coming your way :D

For me, the traffic was always always much heavier in your direction, so I spend most of my time in oncomming, dodging the odd car while passing huge lines of cars on the other side of the road.

I'm afraid the game would be too difficult if you totalled the car after a big crash though. Cars are too expensive, you'd royally fuck yourself way too easily. And you have to drive fast for races/time trials/etc.

Then you have insurance companies, your avatar can't move as fast for a couple of hours (game days) due to soreness, you get laid off and can't take any jobs..
What I'm saying is I want more realism :)