TGA Axed

Really is too bad they did seem to just be starting to get some chemistry with the hosts. I think the cloned skits from TGUK were what did them in. Most of those were stale already so seeing them again on TGAUS just wasn't that entertaining. If they had used the cool wall I would have wrote the network a letter and not cared if they didn't read it...

Oh well so close to getting it sorted out and working.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:unsure:

Was it any good? I never watched an episode.

Was it any good? I never watched an episode.

you didn't miss anything.

Good riddance now it's finally gone. Watching them was embarrassing. Maybe those from other parts of the world found it remotely interesting because of the Aussie accent, most of the jokes were just failed attempts at humour and it's like watching a bad sketch.

I think this is a massive disappointment. I actually like the presenter line up as it stands (only liked Steve right through, the rest I've never liked so it's nice with Shane and Ewan).

The problem is, since Channel 9 took over the entire Top Gear brand, all they've done is fuck it up. Cutting a 60 minute program to 45 minutes, then stretching it out over 90 minutes with ads, mixing up new episodes with repeats so nobody ever had a clue what was going to be on..

They should give it back to SBS who did a damn good job with it & had much higher ratings than 9. They've ruined Top Gear in Australia to the point where people don't care about it anymore, and that's the saddest part of all.

That's a real shame, the guys were starting to gel, 9 should have handed it back to SBS who did a fantastic job.

Kind of sorry to see it go.

As a Canadian watching 4 different foreign top gear's it worked slightly better then it probably did in the local market. I skipped the celebs because I didn't know most of them, did the same with TG:UK and TG:RUS and to be dead honest knowing the celebs I normally skip it on TG:US. I liked TG:AUS, I liked TG:UK, the cars would never appear in my local market unlike TG:US but still I wanted to see them given a review.

I thought it was to rough and I would have liked a little more restraint. I can't suggest any Aussie TV personalities so I got what was handed to me and I saw more potential as an outsider then I think many locals saw.

i had to register just to voice an opinion..

channel 9 screwed Top Gear.. exactly as the other poster stated they destroyed the format... top gear is not movie length (90mins) a lot of people know that so die hard fans got peeved and found other alternatives.. i jumped ship from tv top gear years ago and been using finalgear since... but i do notice i enjoy watching older eps on GO! mainly because there are more repeats when there is generally the same drivel day after day on free tv.... principally i have nearly ditched free tv altogether now and download all my shows its peeved me to a large extent but thats a tad off topic

Absolutely terrible what channel 9 has done to Top Gear alot of us knew it was bad when 9 purchased Top Gear from Sbs and the worst has come to fruition.

hmm, maybe now TGUK can do an Australia special like they did in the middle east!

The problem is, since Channel 9 took over the entire Top Gear brand, all they've done is fuck it up.
only channel nien has that kind of special touch!! They have a knack for it. Star Trek The Next Generation was doing very well in the USA, but channel nein showed the episodes out of order and kept changing the time slot and then wondered why it didn't rate :cry:

Good riddance i say, they were trying too hard tobe like TGUK with hosts roughly like the UK series and it just didnt work. and seriously who idea was it to have Shane Warne drive cars:blink::blink:. channel 9 fucked something that could of been great. i think 7 or Ten should get the series atlease they can get hosts that will work considering both channels have motorsport on them...seven could have Grant Denyer, Warren luff,and even Brad Jones then Ten could have afew different hosts to chose from like daryle beattie, craig baird, Craig lowndes all know each other all have great chemistry all great lovers of fast cars plus the skill to drive them fast

I see the TG-Aus taking a nosedive in the current season but TG-US actually getting better, I think since they've gone out now trying to be different from the original and not a carbon copy like Aus.

I find the US version funnier this year than last and I think the change to more 'out-of-studio' road trips and tests gets back to the original concept for New-TG....... three guys cocking about in cars. Aus hosts seems more wooden than the other versions no matter we already complain about TG-UK these days going too much by a script even in road trips.

who idea was it to have Shane Warne drive cars:blink::blink:.

That was a budget thing. Warne was supposed to be a host, went and shot those videos, and when his deal was cancelled Nine decided to make use of the videos so that money wouldn't be wasted. I agree it was really jarring (who the hell is this guy?!), but it fits in with what you Aussies have been saying about Nine.

I think TG Australia can still fly, but they need to take a hiatus, find a better show runner/network, and give it a clean relaunch. And with respect to Steve, I think they should get all new hosts and make sure they gel good before filming. I feel like Shane and Ewen got along well, but Steve felt like the odd man out. I think all three worked their butts off making the show, but the overall vision wasn't there.

Kind of sorry to see it go.
"Ditto".
I can't suggest any Aussie TV personalities so I got what was handed to me and I saw more potential as an outsider then I think many locals saw.
Again, "Ditto". Spot on.
I enjoyed the third and fourth seasons. While there were choppy moments, overall it was pretty entertaining. That's what I tune into TG for anyway.....entertainment. I know not a lot of dry facts and serious road tests will be on TG. Hooligans and highjinx are to be expected. If I wanted monotone reviews and seriousness, I'd watch Fifth Gear or other such shows.

I do have to mention one cringeworthy moment from last week....I also had the misfortune to watch most of the episodes of the (not very good) Cops L.A.C. and when Steve was pulled over by the cops and addressed by the cop as "Good afternoon driver." all I could think of was that show.

I agree about the show deserving another chance. I wonder what everyone's contract specifies in regard to no-competes, and how close they can get without Worldwide suing. Since Freehand has connections to Worldwide, they're out as a production company. From what the Aussies here have said, it sounds like SBS would jump at a Top Gear-esque show, but I wonder how much the lack of Top Gear name would hurt its chances of getting green-lit. I wonder if Channel 5 has ever thought about franchising Fifth Gear. The name may be inappropriate for Australia, but the format would work (albeit in a one-hour slot).

As for hosts, I'd go more for a "best of breed" and have Steve, Shane, and Warren (as I've said in other threads; I presume Ewen's connection to Top Gear Mag would preclude him from joining another effort). I think the problem with Steve "not fitting in" may have been him getting sick and tired of being the only one not going through the revolving door. With those three, I think the chemistry problems would be minimal.

vaderno.jpg