TGA not returning for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me cite one major difference. In Australia, we use Litres and km/h, not gallons and mph.

But you live in a Third World country. In the civilized world, we use gallons and miles. We just can't agree on what the gallon is equal to. The only reason our soft drinks come in two-liter bottles is because we don't want to make separate containers for the alleged country to the north that pretends to be independent from us.

I was touring the USA and Canada about a year ago, and from what I could see, purely on an observation level, not actually asking anyone, there didn't exactly seem to be a shortage of imported cars, but more or less a lack of demand.

Again, bullshit. The only thing that outsells the Corolla in the US is the F-150. You can't swing a dead cat...you do have cats in the Third World, right?...without hitting a Japanese car. We got sick and tired a long time ago of Detroit cramming poor quality down our throats.

Yes, you didn't see many Jap or Euros on the road, but that is probably because Americans would rather have a home-built car.

Not anymore. Let me give you a personal example, and I'm not alone in this experience. My father was born in the 1920s. He would have never bought an import. In fact, he never did in his entire life. Other than one Pontiac, he was a Chrysler guy until his last car, a Ford minivan that I had the displeasure of owning for a number of years. After he died, my mother bought a Mazda. After the minivan died, I bought a Honda.

These days, Americans with some money buy Japanese cars. Americans with no money buy Korean cars, and the high-end Hyundais are starting to make an inroad into the Americans-with-some-money crowd. Americans with lots of money buy German cars.

Dealers seemed to be all over the place, and absolutely full of cars waiting to be sold, so there couldn't possibly be a shortage of supply there.

And the fact that the economy had gone down the toilet, through the sewer system, and into the sewage treatment plant had nothing to do with that.

In fact: my shock and horror when our rental car was a BMW...

That's the first thing that we agree on. And probably the only thing.

Your loss.

We have enough poor-quality little shitboxes coming out of Detroit (see Caliber, Dodge). Why do we want the Frenchists to send over theirs?

Now, on to your other finger-diarrhea explosion...you do realize the population difference between the US and Australia? You do realize that we have over 300 million people here? Less than a dozen Aston dealers in this country is significantly small. The Chicago metropolitan area, which covers parts of four states and has ten million people, the third-largest in the US, has two, count them, TWO Bentley dealers. One of them is in a rich suburb, and the other is in the richest part of the city (and also handles Lambos and Bugs). Yeah, it's an exclusivity thing, but they're also seriously overpriced and pretty damn shoddy (every single Aston that comes over here somehow develops electrical problems on the trip over). If you've got Aston or Bentley money over here, you're going to get a titsed-out A8 or a Maybach.

And why should we get back on topic when every topic you respond to is turned into an insult-the-Americans thread?

ignoring your lack-of-knowledge of my country (i'll assume you've never been here), we do seem to agree that Detroit just seems to make shitboxes.

As for the Hyundais, they used to be crap, but now that they are getting better, they are priced almost identically to the Jap cars - so why should we bother?

ignoring your lack-of-knowledge of my country (i'll assume you've never been here), we do seem to agree that Detroit just seems to make shitboxes.

As for the Hyundais, they used to be crap, but now that they are getting better, they are priced almost identically to the Jap cars - so why should we bother?

ignoring your lack-of-knowledge of my country

Hasn't stopped you.

(i'll assume you've never been here),

No, but unlike most Americans, I've lived in other countries. I can make a good comparison. And you don't seem to see that I'm simply insulting your country, just like you've been doing to the one that my grandfather, my father, and myself spent time in uniform during wartime to defend.

we do seem to agree that Detroit just seems to make shitboxes.

Not all of them. Chevy's doing a decent job these days, Pontiac rebounded nicely from the Aztek Disaster with the Vibe before it was summarily killed, and Ford seems to be getting a clue, although I've been burned by them too often to buy another one. I'm also taking a wait-and-see on the Chrysler Group to see what the pasta freaks will do with the joint. My first car was a Dodge, so there's some sentimentality there. Plus, we do pickups better than anyone, including Toyota.

Not over here. They're still cheaper than comparable Toyotas, Nissans, and Hondas. When Toyota went balls-up with their quality, a lot of potential buyers turned to Hyundai and were pleasantly surprised. Even Kia's starting to get a good rep.

Oh, yeah, here's another difference: we don't get anything from Malaysia or India over here. So even if I wanted a Perodua (which would require much higher levels of clinical insanity than I already exhibit), I couldn't get one.

No, but unlike most Americans, I've lived in other countries. I can make a good comparison. And you don't seem to see that I'm simply insulting your country, just like you've been doing to the one that my grandfather, my father, and myself spent time in uniform during wartime to defend.

war stories don't deserve any pity in my books - no offence.

Oh, yeah, here's another difference: we don't get anything from Malaysia or India over here. So even if I wanted a Perodua (which would require much higher levels of clinical insanity than I already exhibit), I couldn't get one.

We have Proton here, but apart from that, we don't have any yet, but i have a feeling that's about to change. The main reason why none of them get sold here is because the Aus government has safety regulations that state that if a car gets a ANCAP score of less than 1.5 stars, it can't be sold here. Since the Malaysians are starting to realise this, they may start selling them here soon.

Does anybody else think that is is well past time for this thread to have been closed?

Well its your thread.

Hit the little triangular "report post" button underneath all those red rep power bars of yours and tell the moderators that you (as the original poster) would like the thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.