Ownership Verified: That time FinalGear bought a Munich Roadster (MX-5) to drive from Germany to Finland

t5ZPXzl.jpg

There's the oil change. Five litres of Total 5W40 for 24,50, a new Bosch filter and job done next door.

At 182k, time for another change. Next one will be at 190k methinks, by the looks of it it'll be in the spring.

Track day bro!

xdRxiO4.jpg

kaF7h2N.jpg

K7zVxYH.jpg

Required shot...

DGfkRwX.jpg

What the hell is that, a nail? Looks like it's been in there quite a while, but it holds air...

5DyKUyF.jpg

WhFnbL2.jpg

I think these tires are done by now.

Didn't count or time my laps, but had fun :p The car handles very well at Ahvenisto, and almost has enough power to climb uphill effortlessly. Noticed it was a lot nicer to drive with the top down, somehow it suited the forest track feel a lot better.

Broomhandle test fail?

:D

The appropriate sequence:

CzHd0g4.jpg

4audl0w.jpg

YucBpio.jpg

K7zVxYH.jpg

Also, it's still handy as a transport vehicle:

gkWmYIB.jpg

That's a rear window in the package.

Last edited:
Ta-dah! Original spare tire for the MX-5. Most likely unused and most likely extremely old. But it takes less space than the 323 13" wheel I've had in the back.

9fRRwuD.jpg

cDkIzLT.jpg

k97tNae.jpg

Dn1Bsq0.jpg

KJtZExq.jpg

92IV11f.jpg

Cost 20 euros. I could have had one from Helsinki for a six-pack of beer, but then I would have had to go to Helsinki to get it.

Won't they be old and dry-rotted by now?

Last edited:
It only needs to get you away from the side of the road, and that will do just fine.

I've throw'n at least 3, maybe 5 sparetires away. Leaving from UK to Helsinki I can fit more parts like 6 speed and beer. Much more important ;)

6 speed and beer sounds like an entertaining version of Netflix and chill :lol:

Took the car to a bodyshop to be appraised. They quoted 600 to fix the rockers and the rear corner including the rust on the wheelarch, asking "Do you want it to be good for a couple years or do you want it to be done properly?" I said it should be the latter, I would have the car put right for myself. The price doesn't include the mangled front wing, I'm still adamant I can find a clean one from the UK.

600 euros might be a bit low: usually only when they cut rocker panels open, they realize most of the structural metal inside is gone. Rust on wheel arch is also pain in the arse to fix, as that too usually begins inside out. There are outer and inner wheel arch which need to be repaired. But hopefully I am just being pessimistic, and the car gets fixed for that price! :)

I'll also happily take the amount of repairs that 600 eur buys me :)

DyCY0Kv.jpg

Wrap your tires to save them from wearing down! #ShittyCarHacks

I swapped the winters on last night and it was dark and miserable enough to make me mix the rotations on two corners. Drove the car into a well-lit DIY wash today and swapped them the right way around. I also got to use the new old spare as a placeholder, so I have that going for me. No, I didn't drive it with the wrapper on.

Been waiting for the weather to dry so I could drive the car home and wrap it up for the winter. No such luck, shit is drizzling down every day. Gave up and drove it to the garage wet, and pulled the cloth bag over it. Will dry it up with time, but this miserable November weather is really pissing in my pocket.

8mIPC4B.jpg

Someone is selling a 16-inch set of Speedline Dinards for 35 eur, with reportedly completely worn tires. I should buy new tires anyway, so I'm considering this set for the Miata's next summer shoes. They're the OEM selection for the 1st gen Renault M?gane Coup?, and they look pretty decent under a 16-valve Clio.

ThSOX0l.jpg

Jnp2OcZ.jpg

This is what they look like without the centers:

R0vOww8.jpg

Of course the ET differs somewhat from the Mazda, but 35 eur is so little I'd be happy to gamble.

You should buy them, but only if you promise you won't immediately go out and buy a Clio. :p