Ownership Verified: That time FinalGear bought a Munich Roadster (MX-5) to drive from Germany to Finland

About one centimeter. Right now I'm running ET25 and they're right at the fender edge, perhaps even a little wide apart.

U7NPnHy.jpg

It's only -7?C, so it was warm enough to not feel like starting the Miata without a block heater would be terrible torture. It's great fun on snow-covered parking lots and industrial back alleys!

Yesterday I had a silly thought of taking my MX-5 out for a spirited drive. Currently I don't have any winter tires, so naturally I'd love to buy proper rally spikes... :)

As a year is about to pass with the Miata, I contacted the former owner of the car. I wrote them an email saying how much fun the car has been, where I have taken it and so on, and also that I'll keep good care of it. She answered me today and was really happy to hear about it.

"Thank you very much for your email! I?m glad, that my "little Mazda" ist still "alive".

I just loved this car and always knew it has a "soul", that?s why I sold it to your friend here. He told me from the very beginning that this car will be driven to Finnland and will be used as a "fun car".

I also had a lot of potential buyers that would have needed my MX5 as a warehouse for spare parts....

We?d be glad to see some pics from the Mazda. What an exciting trip from Nordkap to Germany- Wow!

Please tell the MX5 I said "hi"
1f602
"

Stuff like this is what makes me really happy that I have the car. Also, onions.

eNY74ko.jpg

Since I had to go buy coolant for the Mi16 and the temperatures rose from about -30?C to -5?C overnight, I took the MX-5 for an hour's drive around the town.

QBqdwqu.jpg

UUMRGUw.jpg

After a while I decided the roof had gotten enough warm air blown into it, zipped open the rear window and folded the top. I then proceeded to troll around the town for a little while with the stereo blaring. :mrgreen:

Almost a year since getting the car, I spent a weekend slideways at DaBoom's grounds again.

Lo2vX2l.jpg

This is today's milestone.

7sGRXQr.jpg

Does this work? At all?

Sadly the hubcaps do not actually fit the steelies.

The lion looks stupid on a cute Mazda. The shape of the caps is okay...

There are better options out there, even if they might cost a few hundred euros.

This works for trolling purposes, like the guy on the Civic Si with Corvette wheels and Lincoln badges I saw a few years ago. :lol:

The Finnish customs sent me a letter saying they had recalculated the taxes carried on import, and the taxation percentage has been lowered to 16,7% from 21,40% (from a deemed value of ~3ke). This means I get back 140 euros, woo-hoo! It's not like I beat the system, but it's a good cashback for a half hour's trouble. And they spent a year pondering it :lol:

Inspection passed, good for a year again! The only demerit was an ARB drop link (again), the left front one had jumped clear from its mounting. Luckily the part is same both front and rear, so I have a spare in the trunk.

Walked to my car only to find the driver side mirror neatly placed on the roof... Ugh. Either it's fallen off by itself, someone's kicked it off or the Fiat driver who parks next to me has snapped it off accidentally. He did deny it, so either he's had a day to think it over or something else's afoot.

CfC0TjvWQAEUhT3.jpg:large

Usually you don't swap on smaller wheels when switching to summer tires, but I had to try... They fit!

ie7dzR1.jpg

They are the 323F steelies with 175/70R13 Nokian NRe tires, DOT 4503. :lol: