Ownership Verified: That time FinalGear bought a Munich Roadster (MX-5) to drive from Germany to Finland

public

Has been known to shou emousshiöns
DONOR
Car(s)
S203 M271 and a ton of crap

ONLY four years later, I have a clean, straight, original passenger side front fender for the car.

public

DONOR
Car(s)

I finally got a set of Daisies some time ago, but didn't post them here – probably because the forums might have been down then. Anyway, I can't wait to get these under the car.

public

DONOR
Car(s)

Since it's so easy, I'm probably fitting this wood Momo wheel in place of the leather one. I still have the wooden Momo knob Mitchi sent me a couple years ago, too, and they seem to match. Ideally, I would also source leather seats at some point, but that depends if I can find a decent condition pair for the right price. Dark red leather would be a great combination with the Silverstone exterior.

Tram13

Red interior would work beautifully with a Silverstone exterior. That's been one of my ideal combos ever since I saw this Miata. (Which I was a big fan of back in ca. 2015-2016. My automotive modification taste has changed since.) But it works in general as well, especially on roadsters. Works great with wood as well.

public

DONOR
Car(s)
Oh yeah, that shows how well it works. I think those seats have been retrimmed and the original hue is a bit darker, but yeah – good combo. I'd leave the door cards as is, and even if I'd like to change the carpet for a red one, it might be a ton of work.

public

DONOR
Car(s)

The new fender has been prepped, as are other bits like the passenger door.

As you can see, all the rusty bits on the car should be bolt-off from now.

public

DONOR
Car(s)

Thanks to a helpful friend in the UK, the MX-5 is getting a touch of luxury in place of the stock cloth seats. Shipping will probably be more expensive than the seats, as they cost just £30 and will only need cleaning, no repairs.

gt1750

Techno Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
2018 Ford Smacks, 2011 Alfa 159, 2005 Smart 44

Thanks to a helpful friend in the UK, the MX-5 is getting a touch of luxury in place of the stock cloth seats. Shipping will probably be more expensive than the seats, as they cost just £30 and will only need cleaning, no repairs.
I like the seats, but are you sure you want to have them in a silver car? This interior color is best paired with black or dark metallic red/green/blue. Silver cars look best with black or red interiors.

public

DONOR
Car(s)
It would look worse if I did the entire interior in beige – now they'll just light up the black cabin a little. I don't plan on getting matching tan carpets or door cards or lower dash plastics, and I might transfer the handles from the black stock cloth seats too.

If I did an interior colour change, I'd go with red, but that's relatively difficult to source in similar condition. However, one option is tinting these tan seats in a darker brown or cognac colour so they would suit the silver a touch better. But I'll see about that later.

public

DONOR
Car(s)

IT'S FINISHED

Well, almost. The guys didn't sort out the JDM/US registration plate lighting, which needs new triangular holes punched under the rear panel, so when I drove the car to the MOT it was an immediate red flag due to the lights still residing in the trunk. But I wanted the MOT out of the way anyway, and the emissions, brakes and everything were fine. Getting some lights hooked up is a lot less of a hassle than fixing emissions or ordering a new catalytic converter, and the shop will do that without complaints.

ANYWAY! It feels weird to have the paint looking great. The dents and rust are long gone, and I don't feel like I own a total beater Miata anymore. The engine was a bit tappety after the car sat for two years, but it cleared after a bit of vigorous driving to warm the car up for MOT. The steering is so much better than with the heavy wheels, and an alignment will take things even further. I am ready to love this car again.

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Is the ragtop actually grey or just very faded and in bright sunshine?

public

DONOR
Car(s)
It is grey to begin with, it's from an NBFL. I wanted to upgrade to the glass window and it was easier for the body shop guy to just bolt on a complete used top with an intact rain rail.

Tram13

This is great! Nice to see it back on the road, and it's a good time for it to be back on the road. The daisies work perfectly. But I must admit, the rear looks kinda empty without any badges on it. Are you planning to put any?

public

DONOR
Car(s)
Oh yeah, I just need to re-drill the badge holes to make sure they fit smoothly.

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
None anymore...

public

DONOR
Car(s)
I'd need to kludge the JDM/US rear plate holder on the model too :p

In other words, the car is now inspected and road legal! I will start the interior swap sometime after the roadtrip when I have time.

loose_unit

DONOR
Car(s)
Zastava, MX-5, M140i, Pluriel, Equus
It is grey to begin with, it's from an NBFL. I wanted to upgrade to the glass window and it was easier for the body shop guy to just bolt on a complete used top with an intact rain rail.
I need one of these tops with a glass window ... Eventually...

Awesome to see it back in action after so long! I hope you enjoy it properly, and keep it out of the salt as much as possible! :-D