Ownership Verified: That time FinalGear bought a Munich Roadster (MX-5) to drive from Germany to Finland

?h, that video makes me hate the fact that only way Finn can own and drive one legally is leaving the country.

Having watched that video I reckon it might actually be worth it. :D

Like in two weeks or so?

So, finally a little update...

After some time driving in the Alps with a black MX5 I borrowed and hitting a snowstorm just outside Munich...

Ag2IkRq.jpg

...my brother and I reached D-Fence's garage (only crappy phone pics :()...

efblhw2.jpg

...to pick up public's car.

On the way to Frankfurt the car ran quite allright if not really on full strength (the previous owner suggested changing the spark plugs) but the oil pressure went all the way to max at everything above 1500 rpms or so. After having it investigated by the finalgear hive mind we carried on, taking it easy. I checked for parts the next day and had the 4 year old oil changed (which didn't make any difference pressure wise).
The following day I had a look at the engine at a friend's little garage. The engine was completely covered in fresh oil, which was at least in parts due to an almost solid camcover gasket. I changed that and also the sparkplugs which were pretty worn and one rather corroded.

giEcdVc.jpg

xgcL9Ss.jpg

6RmL5Ue.jpg

JA8NeF9.jpg

fvKFbm3.jpg

It revs better and drives stronger now with the fresh spark plugs, we want to have the pressure checked at a garage to make sure it's not a problem on the drive towards Finland in about two weeks. I'll have to see if I can squeeze it in tomorrow as loose_unit is picking the car up on Saturday. There's another gasket for the camshaft position sensor to be changed as well.

I can't update the infamous fart list for now as I left it in the car and don't have it with me, but I'll be at the place it's stored tomorrow and will update then :)

Last edited:
Four year old oil? Good job it wasn't sludgier inside... And at least the oil leaks have formed an undercoating for the body and components. :p

Just checked, only 3,5 years, so all good , wasn't really a sludge fest indeed.

Has any kind of service book been found yet, or is there just a couple receipts in the glove box?

Haven't searched it yet but will have a look later. Oil change date is from the little slip in the engine compartment.

Yeah, and if it had been back to the same place they would've replaced it. FWIW, I usually change/have oil changed every six months or so.

I'm sure they change the notification slips here in all but the most shady places.

Of course, if the car has leaked oil for all that time they've probably just topped it up as a "running" oil change.

The most annoying thing about the fuel cap release is when you get out at the pump and your trunk is open.

Plugs and wires are a must for any used Miata, imho. Cheap and easy too.

I have never had the 65mph shimmy. It vibrates a bit at 70 but it's really not bad. Get a good balance and alignment and keep your tire pressures even.

Wheels need to be orange for sure!

I think the wheel wobble is better now as the tyres were pretty square from standing around.

Changing the wires should happen at some point for sure!

Italian Fiat Fiorino, very few left in Germany.

The most annoying thing about the fuel cap release is when you get out at the pump and your trunk is open.

EVERY DAMN TIME!

Last edited:
Common guys, two lever's to choose, "how hard can it be?" Try driving LHD, UK RHD and JDM RHD and not use wipers. UK and LHD have blinkers on left hand side and JDM on right side. Today drove UK RHD and at least windshield did stay clean.

Last edited: