The 2010/11 EPL Thread ? English Premier League

Heathrow

Yes, as in the airport.
Car(s)
1995 BMW 325i SE
Saturday, 14 August 2010 (UK Times shown)
Tottenham v Man City, 12:45
Aston Villa v West Ham, 15:00
Blackburn v Everton, 15:00
Bolton v Fulham, 15:00
Sunderland v Birmingham, 15:00
Wigan v Blackpool, 15:00
Wolverhampton v Stoke, 15:00
Chelsea v West Brom, 17:30

Sunday, 15 August 2010
Liverpool v Arsenal, 16:00

Monday, 16 August 2010
Man Utd v Newcastle, 20:00

New season starts tomorrow, so good luck to the new entrants and all established teams.

Blackpool are a team I have not seen in the EPL before, Newcastle will aim to re-establish themselves as a top six team at least and West Brom are coming up for a year to get immediately relegated, probably. :lol:

Sunday is the big game! Tottenham v. Man City will be interesting too. As will Wigan V Blackpool, and Sunderland v Birmingham.

I don't think Newcastle will be anywhere near the top 6, though, they will try, but they won't do it.

The only reason I think the Man City game will be interesting is because I like David Silva :p.

Newcastle near top 6? Think they should be happy staying out of the bottom 3

There should be a poll who will go down and who will go to Europe - we could check at the season end. Hell this is going to be a long season for some.

Does anybody know when the clubs have to declare their 25 man squad? Is it now or at the end of the transfer window? It would be daft if the teams signed players late in the window and then couldn't use them in the PL.

They only have to declair a 25 man squad for champions league

Tobias - Nah, new rule in place means they must do so for the Prem as well, including 8 home-grown players.

Re: the Prem, City's spending has been interesting to say the least but I doubt we'll see a proper title challenge until next season unless their players really gel together quickly, which will be hard. Arsenal has made interesting signings and a great one in the form of Chamakh, but we still need a word-class goalkeeper (fingers crossed that Sparky lets Schwarzer go) and backup centre-halves - notoriously injury prone as we are, the defence will be too weak on some ocassions. Man United look like the winners so far, following the 3-1 over Chelsea, but Chelsea might just be suffering from pre-season blues so that rivalry is set to look quite interesting too. Tottenham, of course, are brimming with confidence after breaking the top four barrier last season, so I wouldn't put it past 'Arry to take them up their again. Liverpool have old man Woy now, so that'll be good to see how they do, but I doubt they'll be up there with the big boys.

Newcastle in the top 6? :lol: What have you been smoking, sir?

They'll be above Blackpool and West Brom, but definitely very close to or within the relegation zone. They're nowhere near the team they once were, though for some reason they still have a reputation for being a great team outside the UK.

Last edited:
* snip*
I don't think Newcastle will be anywhere near the top 6, though, they will try, but they won't do it.
* snip*

Newcastle near top 6? Think they should be happy staying out of the bottom 3
No, no, no ? there is a slight misunderstanding of my previous comments regarding Newcastle Utd.

The Toon Army will expect the club to be ?top 6?, I have no idea what the NUFC management are aiming for and my own view, I don?t know at the moment where the heck they?ll end up, but probably NOT in the top six.

We need a realistic assessment from a Newcastle fan to post here to contrast expectation vs. reality.

Also, I just watched Football Focus and am somewhat surprised at Blackpool and their lack of cash investment. Apparently, two of their best players last year were only on loan and have gone, so according to Ollie, the squad is weaker than last year and is also a bit tired and shagged out. This may be kid-ology, but it may not. They will need some luck to stay up in the EPL.

Great stuff from Hart today, very enjoyable to see such a confident goalkeeper. Man City were considerably better in the second half, which does give me the feeling that they'll be a force to reckon with as all their signings start to gel together.

:mad: You will eat those words! Maybe not EPL, but top 4.

I hope I will, I really do. I'm a Gooner at heart but like most I have a soft spot for Liverpool.

Do keep in mind, though, that barring injuries or major setbacks, all these teams - ManUre, Arsenal, Chelscum, Man Shitty, Spurs, Everton, and at a stretch, Aston Villa - can compete for the top 4 spots. Somehow I don't see that Liverpool have the depth (especially if the Masch leaves) to compete with the first four (providing City gel) and even Spurs.

We'll see tomorrow, I guess! ;)

Sidenote - Aston Villa 3 - 0 Hammers - Even without O'Neill, they seem to be on fire today.
Blackpool 3 - 0 Wigan - :lol: @ Wigan

Looks like Blackpool won't be breaking Derby's 'record' 11 points after all!

Last edited:
Crossposted from the football thread.
Hey guys, I'm creating an EPL Finalgear.com fantasy league. I know it's late notice, but nobody else did, so I figured wth, right?

Go to http://fantasy.premierleague.com and sign up for private league number 801520-305124. Lineups close soon, so get your team together for the start of the EPL season.
DO IT, DO IT NAAAAAAUUUU.

And with today, Arsenal fall back into the "Go down by a goal, score in the last 3 minutes" mentality that lands us in 3rd every single year.

I'll take the own goal...

but my post stands true. Arsenal is killing me already this season....