The 2010 FIBA World Championship

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
How come we don't have a thread about this yet? It started 2 days ago with 26 games over already!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIBA_World_Championship

I think our team has quite a good chance of progressing (I'd say it's a given), we lost to USA by 22 points, but we just beat Croatia by 7, so we currently lead the group with 5 points (you apparently get 1 point for losing, wtf), but Iran shouldn't be a problem. The only unknown (to me) is Brazil, should be an exciting game.

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/ic/icebone/2010/08/30/60511988.jpg

Also, listening to the tv in the background... Germany managed to only score 12 points in the first half against Australia? WTF?

Most useless basketball tournament in the world. If I was an NBA player there would be no way I would give up rehab time in the off season to waste on FIBA basketball.

It's a good thing it's not up to your ignorant ass, then.

It's the reason almost none of the best older players play internationally. The NBA season is so long with the playoffs that they get so worn down that they physically can't play in the offseason if they want to be rehabbed by the time the next season starts up. I think international basketball is great, except for the fact the season is structured all fucked up. It should be played during a break in the NBA season in winter, with a much shorter NBA post season. Then we would see the best players on the court, not just the young and healthy.

Wow, what a game between USA and Brazil! U.S. really had to fight for that win. Gutted for Brazil, they played so well and lost just by two points.
USA 70-68 Brazil

They'll still continue. They've already beaten Iran, Croatia and Tunisia shouldn't be a problem (and quite possible us too if today's display is anything to go by), who I assume will be the bottom three teams in the group and will have to fight amongst themselves to not be left behind.

Last edited:
There isn't a thread on this because its not soccer, and thus the obvious outcome is United States wins.

One of the most epic international matches ever yesterday between Brazil and Argentina. It really could have gone either way.
Luis Scola is a BEAST. He scored 37 points for Argentina and made some unbelievable shots in the closing stages of the game. Looks like the absense of Manu Ginobili hasn't really hurt the Argentinians.

Argentina 93-89 Brazil

Serbia eliminated the defending world champions today with Milos Teodosic's long three pointer at the end of the game. Congrutaltions Serbia!

Serbia 92 - 89 Spain

And we're getting our asses thoroughly kicked by the Turks... :(

Don't cry for me Argentina! :D

LTU 104 - 85 ARG

So, it's USA - Turkey tomorrow, a perfect final for this tournament IMO.

And we lost against Russia in the final minutes (as is the rule for our team), making us finish the championship in 8th place. Which, for a 20th seeded team isn't that bad, I think.

Wow, i'm lost for words for Kevin Durant. He is incredible.

E: And that's it! USA wins it's first world championship since 1994. Turkey played great but they were no match for the U.S team. Kevin Durant will without a question be the MVP of this tournament. Congratulations to USA!

USA 81 - 64 Turkey

Last edited: