The 2010 South Africa world cup qualifiers thread

US best player Brad Friedle. Well I like him.

Ehh, Friedel was always pretty meh for the USMNT. That's why Howard, Guzan and Hahnemann got the nod ahead of him. I think Dempsey's probably our best player. He's so skilled. He can create separation from the defense, free up his teammates and direct great balls into the box. And he can score, too. He was bronze ball at the Confederations Cup and scored in three straight games.

Jozy Altidore's also a potentially interesting player. He's just so incredibly athletic that I'm sure he'll develop into a killer goal threat in the near future. He's also been really productive for the USMNT, scoring six times throughout the qualifying stages and netting against Spain in the Confederations Cup. If he can get enough time at Hull, he'll hopefully develop the skill he needs to have a productive World Cup.

I was at work when the draw was announced so this is my 1st real chance to sit down and think about it.

Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Les Handballs sont tr?s chanceux. If I'm Irish, I'm pissed at this. France will probably win the group with Mexico finishing 2nd. Oh, and thank you Google for the translation.

Group B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece

Am I the only one not impressed by Argentina under Maradona? I know that he's probably 2nd to God in that country, but I don't think he's a good football coach/manager. I don't think they advance. I'll pick South Korea and Greece.

Group C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia

A great draw for England and the USA. I can tell you that the US television broadcasters are happy because the England-USA match will be on during a Saturday afternoon so they'll be expecting tons of viewers. And while Slovenia has a decent chance of getting through, it will be England and the USA advancing.

Group D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana

Easily the 2nd toughest group here. Germany and Australia should go through, but I think all 4 have a good shot at making it.

Group E: Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon

I read somewhere that Japan and the Netherlands played a friendly a couple of months ago and the Netherlands won 3-0. I don't know what to make of the others, so I'll take what someone else said and pick the 2 European teams to move on.

Group F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia

A piece of cake group for Italia. Paraguay advances too.

Group G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portgual

Let me start by talking about the Kicking Kim Jong-Ils. They are Morris Marinas. Brazil, Ivory Coast and Portugal are 20-ton pianos. As for the 3 good teams here, Brazil and Ivory Coast will advance.

Group H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

Spain is the clear #1 team here. I'll pick Chile to be 2nd, but I'm not certain of that by any means.

I was really disappointed they didn't include Henry's handball in the France qualifying highlight reel. Bafana Bafana got unlucky, but they'll put up a good fight. However, in all likelyhood, the perennial knock out rounders from this group, France and Mexico, will advance. Who knows, though, Forlan could pull something out of his ass.

Maradona's a crap coach, so it'll be interesting to see if they make it out of the group stages. If they don't, Maradona's short coaching career will certainly end. This will be an interesting group, and I think Greece will make it and Argentina will squeak through on Goal Differential over SK.

Despite the brave face they're putting on it, Fennecs fans know this is a three horse race. Slovenia is a relative unknown, and they'll be hoping to snag points off of the US, as England beat them pretty convincingly in a friendly earlier this year. Still, as long as the US plays good soccer, they'll go through and could even win the group on GD if they draw with England.

This is a real toss-up. Germany will likely go through. Ghana is a strong team, anchored by Michael Essien, John Paintsil, Sulley Muntari and John Mensah. The Serbs also surprised a lot of people, winning their group over the floundering French. And Australia's also a good side, with players like Harry Kewell, Lucas Neill and Tim Cahill. I'm tentatively picking the socceroos to move on.

The Netherlands will sail through. The other three teams will be close, but Cameroon will just pip Japan for the last spot.

Italy goes through. Slovakia ekes out the all-whites and paraguay for the last spot. Teams do not survive on Roque Santa Cruz alone.

Group G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portgual

NK will lose badly three times. Then Kim Jong-Il's head will explode. Because Portugal is overrated, it will be close between Portugal and Cote D'Ivoire for that last spot in the knock out rounds. Portugal has a good side, but Cote D'Ivoire will be attacking with Kalou, Drogba and Abdul Kader Keita. Drogba and Ronaldo are even, Kalou and Simao are rougly even, but Keita's better than Nani. Brazil advances too, of course.

Spain will win easily in this group. They'll put up three or four on Honduras and Chile and will still net once or twice despite Switzerland's world-class defense. Honduras has no chance here. Chile and Switzerland will take it to the wire, but the Swiss will just pip the Chileans and move on.

Am I the only one not impressed by Argentina under Maradona? I know that he's probably 2nd to God in that country, but I don't think he's a good football coach/manager.

He isn't. And some of us hate him <_< (cause he's a narcissistic douchebag)

Current FIFA World Rankings of Qualifiers for 2010 World Cup

1 Spain
2 Brazil
3 Netherlands
4 Italy
5 Portugal
6 Germany
7 France
8 Argentina
9 England
11 Cameroon
12 Greece
14 USA
15 Mexico
16 C?te d'Ivoire
17 Chile
18 Switzerland
19 Uruguay
20 Serbia
21 Australia
22 Nigeria
26 Denmark
28 Algeria
30 Paraguay
33 Slovenia
34 Slovakia
37 Ghana
38 Honduras
43 Japan
52 Korea Republic (South)
77 New Zealand
84 Korea DPR (North)
86 South Africa

FIFA National Teams? World Rankings ? Nov. ?09

:)

That list is such a joke.

Back in October Serbia qualified for the World Cup, we played only one game (friendly vs South Africa) and won 3:1 and as a result we dropped 6 places on FIFA's ranking (from 14th to 20th).

At the same time Czech Republic did not qualify for the World Cup, they played no games in October and yet they were up 3 places on the FIFA's ranking.

Yes, but maybe other teams played in October and moved up the list. Its not a direct comparison between countries, after all.

Easily the 2nd toughest group here. Germany and Australia should go through, but I think all 4 have a good shot at making it.

We'll see, but I'm sure Serbia will be #1 in the group.

I'm not saying that Australia and especially Ghana are not good teams, but just look who were their opponents during the qualifying. Mali, Sudan, Qatar, Uzbekistan ...
There is no way that either one of them would win a group with France and Romania in it.

The major headlines (confined to the back of the sport pages) in Australia regarding the draw ran along the lines of 'We're fucked' :lol:

I dunno about that, Germany are the obvious favourites, but it should be close between ourselves and Serbia.

We'll see, but I'm sure Serbia will be #1 in the group.

I'm not saying that Australia and especially Ghana are not good teams, but just look who were their opponents during the qualifying. Mali, Sudan, Qatar, Uzbekistan ...
There is no way that either one of them would win a group with France and Romania in it.

I'm thinking Germany and Australia will advance, but that group is probably the most wide open because Germany is very capible at falling flat on their faces.

Well, I'm not going to South Africa to see the World Cup (I just spent the summer there this year, and decided to not go during the WC), but I'm going to fly to England to be in England for the USA - England game!

With the nightmare of qualification behind them, France are the class act in this group, with the two teams from the Americas being fairly evenly matched. The RSA will do better than expected and spoil either Mexico or Uruguay?s plans by taking points from them. France will probably win the group joined by Uruguay.

Despite their coach, Argentina will probably win the group. They will be joined by Nigeria who will have a bit of the neutrals ?home crowd? advantage and do better than their current FIFA ranking suggests, whereas Greece will do worse.

A draw and two wins should see both USA and England progress, the group winner based on GD.

An interesting group, this one. Germany will progress as winners. Second place will be decided on the last game between Australia and Serbia, who by then will have both lost to Germany and taken points & goals against Ghana. Close one to call this, should be Serbia, but Australia exceeded expectation at the last World Cup.

The Netherlands and Cameroon meet each other in the last round match probably to decide group winners and runners up. Denmark may get a draw or cause a scare but it wont be enough. Japan will get mullered.

Notoriously slow starters at World Cups, I doubt even Italy will do anything other than three straight wins. It doesn?t really matter who gets second place because they will be the lowest ranked team in the second round, will probably be Paraguay.
Weakest group

Group G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal

Brazil should win the group with the runners up being the ones who beat NK by the most goals. Cote d?Ivoire will have the African crowd neutrals? ?home support? and will play NK in the last game when they will have a definite target. So, I?ll go with Didier & the Tourre brothers. North Korea will get a royal mullering.

Spain will progress as winners, with the second place between Chile and Switzerland. The match between these two will pretty much decide second place, which will probably be Chile. Honduras will have a nice holiday and get beaten by interesting European opponents in an exotic location. Nice change for them.

The first round group stage is always my favorite part of the World Cup, the further it progresses the more it ends up being the usual suspects. :)

Current FIFA World Rankings of Qualifiers for 2010 World Cup

1 Spain
2 Brazil
3 Netherlands
4 Italy
5 Portugal
6 Germany
7 France
8 Argentina
9 England
11 Cameroon
12 Greece