The 2010 South Africa world cup thread!

Podolski was brilliant for Serbia. ;)

Germany 0-1 Serbia
Slovenia 2-2 USA
England 0-0 Algeria

After a first half of looking second best and conceding two goals, Bob Bradley changed the system & tactics and swapped a couple of players at half time. The result was one of the greatest come backs in World Cup history.
As Ice pointed out the refs decision is final, but the disallowed Edu winner was absurd, the only way that should have been not given was by a penalty for USA.
It is all football history now, too bad, but well done USA! :thumbsup:

Germany seemed to loose their focus after Closer was sent off, but will win their last game and progress. They have way too much quality to go out now, they still top the group on GD and will be too much for Ghana when it counts.

England, oh dear! :(
David James had a good day, but the rest of the team was not with the program at all.

It is time to drop Rooney, and try Defoe with or without Heskey.
Give the captaincy to David James and also drop Gerrard replaced by Joe Cole. He is neither enjoying being captain nor playing well at the moment. The two may not be unconnected.

After Match Unofficial news quote: A large number of England fans were booing in the last ten minutes or so. A TV pitch side reporter got an off the cuff remark from Wayne Rooney slating the fans for booing.
Cue Tabloid meltdown & media frenzy from Saturday onwards or I should say an even bigger one than otherwise would have happened. :lol:

Ignoring the drivel that was the England game, I don't think it was even a free kick that the USA "scored" from. He gave the wrong decision to disallow the goal, but also the wrong decision to award the free kick in the first place. What goes around comes around.

After Match Unofficial news quote: A large number of England fans were booing in the last ten minutes or so. A TV pitch side reporter got an off the cuff remark from Wayne Rooney slating the fans for booing.
Cue Tabloid meltdown & media frenzy from Saturday onwards or I should say an even bigger one than otherwise would have happened. :lol:

yup, i can almost hear the Sun and the Mirror sharpening their knives.

Thank the referee you lucky bastards. He should be a national hero in your shit hole.

I'm a competitor, and we were robbed. Keep on hating haters.

Save that garbage for Arsenal vs. Tottenham, not for the world cup. American and Slovenia played very well today; America did what it does whenever we feel we are losing: we fight back 150%. We are not and should not be a nation of whiners, so suck in the loss, be glad the team hustled and got us a draw, and support our country the best way you can for the next match.

Anyone notice the dove perched on the net during the Algeria / Germany game? Very symbolic of the game itself, methinks.

This picture cracks me up. :lol:

ept_sports_sow_experts-808658848-1276878832.jpg

About Grand Theft Goal: South Africa, it really doesn't bother me much that the particular bad call was made. Referees are human too and we all make mistakes. But what does bother me is the fact that a wrong call was made while other blatant fouls were ignored. The only way the Slovenian players could have made those holds more evident would be to tie the American players up in bright pink rope. But even that would be somewhat permissible at an amateur-level game, not the world's top-level event. To make that kind of mistake at this level is inexcusable.

Another thing: how could you possibly tell if anyone was offsides from where that referee was standing? It's almost as if he decided the goal wasn't going to count before the ball was even kicked. Referees are there to enforce the rules and protect the integrity of the game. That clearly didn't happen in this case.

Last edited:
I actually got in a fight tonight with a US supporter (gotta root for the US, just cause they're US, nothing else), which after a few minutes turned into a fist fight. My nose hurts a little from his first sneaky initial punch. The flag I was draped in tonight in support of our team is drenched in his blood though. <_< Fucking waste of ?35, not to mention I got it for my bday...

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/ic/icebone/2010/06/18/1xvznm.jpg

Wow, I look absolutely retarded...

About Grand Theft Goal: South Africa, it really doesn't bother me much that the particular bad call was made. Referees are human too and we all make mistakes. But what does bother me is the fact that a wrong call was made while other blatant fouls were ignored. The only way the Slovenian players could have made those holds more evident would be to tie the American players up in bright pink rope. But even that would be somewhat permissible at an amateur-level game, not the world's top-level event. To make that kind of mistake at this level is inexcusable.

Another thing: how could you possibly tell if anyone was offsides from where that referee was standing? It's almost as if he decided the goal wasn't going to count before the ball was even kicked. Referees are there to enforce the rules and protect the integrity of the game. That clearly didn't happen in this case.
There is a lot of politics in FIFA, which means they have to select referees on criteria other than just technical competence and fitness etc.
The dude from Mali was one of the few, in odd matches, who were not at the highest standard.
Most have been very good, this guy wasn?t.

Interested to see your impression of the decision being for offside, I thought it was for holding, but who knows? :dunno:
(Actually there were 4 - 6 violations for a penalty TO the USA, not a foul against.)

Small consolation to you Americans for being robbed of a classic win, but the referees review committee will mark him down as sub-standard for this match and he probably won?t be around in the later knockout stages. (Nor will the dude who sent off Klose in the Germany game.)
:(

Last edited:
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2010/06/18/motivatorc83f7089709dfa8c8d7e5fa8f9b1e5fe5403db5e.jpg

Beat us? At best, they tied us.

Nice picture, though. It'll incorporate wonderfully into the perpetual Icememe.

Nice to see the World Cup bringing people together.

This WC has been a bit topsy-turvy to say the least (so far), not that it's a bad thing. Knockout stage should be interesting if things keep up.

@ Heathrow: ARGH, his name is Klose. Miroslav Klose. But I think he is occasionally closing things. Like doors, or goal opportunities. :p ;)

And LOL @ The Sun headline :D