The 2010 South Africa world cup thread!

ref was above average anyway.

Which in this tournament is like saying that at least the ref wasn't totally worthless. In 10-20 years time, the only thing that will be remembered from South Africa 2010 are all the wrong referee decisions. Nobody will remember the awesome Germany - Argentina match, but everyone will remember Frank Lampard's goal-but-not-quite-so. I don't get why FIFA insists on getting referees from all over the world, instead of just the 20 very best ones out there. I guess it's just politics... AGAIN.

In case you missed this: 3 months ago maradonna refuses to sit next to M?ller in a press conference because he didn't know him. I bet this changed, though :lol:

Which in this tournament is like saying that at least the ref wasn't totally worthless. In 10-20 years time, the only thing that will be remembered from South Africa 2010 are all the wrong referee decisions. Nobody will remember the awesome Germany - Argentina match, but everyone will remember Frank Lampard's goal-but-not-quite-so. I don't get why FIFA insists on getting referees from all over the world, instead of just the 20 very best ones out there. I guess it's just politics... AGAIN.

average as in average on a larger scale, not just this wc. the refs in this tournament have flopped big time but those were good decisions even when compared to champions league or national leagues. how often do you see someone with the guts to disallow a penalty goal because players entered the box too early? that rule is broken all the time. giving two penalties within a minute of each other is a tough spot as well. also this one let them play a bit rougher instead of giving a free kick every time someone goes down. a possible ref for the final imo. i recall howard webb was pretty solid ref as well? i might be confusing his name with someone else though...

image-106706-galleryV9-namb.jpg
Guy on the left supplies the drugs.

Germany Spain again.
Last time, we lost 0-1 in the European Championship finals 2008.....I was in Vienna for Rudelgucken and have some good (not game) and bad (game) memories of that... :p

In case you missed this: 3 months ago maradonna refuses to sit next to M?ller in a press conference because he didn't know him. I bet this changed, though :lol:

Indeed. Now he refuses to sit next to him because he knows him. :lmao:

The above Forum said:
Paraguayan model Larissa Riquelme promised that if her nation made it to the semi-finals, she'd strip on television. And if they won the World Cup, she'd do a nudie run through the streets wearing nothing but body paint. Millions of men around the world watched in frustration as Spain shattered their dream.

Well Paraguay played well enough, she still could get her kit off, we?d be OK with that. :D

I was reading some articles last night about the Suarez handball, and there were a lot of comments about whether he's a hero or a cheater etc....and people seem to be split about it (However, Suarez himself is claiming that the "hand of God" now belongs to him).

But nobody sees the flipside. Maybe it's Ghana that cheated. I mean, in the final minute of the game....you have a player going down seemingly with no contact...obviously trying to get a free kick. I believe it was Adiyah. And it turns out, it was Adiyah that headed the ball that Suarez blocked.

So what offense is worse? Using your hands and being punished for it. Or diving?

Found this clip on youtube....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUwhRR5HKuY[/youtube]

Also came across this......thoughts?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7wcInhtW48[/youtube]

Last edited:
I heard Suarez was merely claiming it was the 'hand of Suarez' rather than 'hand of God'. I personally have no issue with what he did. It's the dying seconds of the game and he had a chance to stop the goal. It doesnt matter whether he misses the next game because if Uruguay go home he'll be out of the World Cup anyway. By stopping the ball with his hand and preventing a certain goal, he's opening up the chance that Ghana might just miss the ensuring penalty, which they did. It sucks for Ghana, and it sucks on a sporting level as it might not have been the most sporting of moves, but it was entirely fair.

Yes, offside, very close mind you but off he was!
I couldn't really tell from the pictures about the dive, the assistant ref did flag it so he was fooled. In real time, so much went on immediately after that point, I don't recall it being reviewed or commented upon by the TV analysts.

But, all is well that ends well, Uruguay won but not necessarily for the right reasons.
Football Gods FTW!

Probably because they seem to be almost as good as Casillas.

Remove the "almost" from that post, and you'd be spot on :D

I remember this vividly, hence my ballboy comment :lol:. Arrogant bastard deserved to be scored on first by M?ller.

Also, in terms of what Suarez did, I don't have issues with what he did either. He took one for the team, and it was a point at which you would do anything to stay in the game. It's no different than if he were to take away a clear goalscoring chance with a red carding tackle outside the box, in the dying minutes. Except, in that case, the punishment is not as severe, as it leads to a free kick rather than a penalty. It's a horrible way for Ghana to go out, though.

^ Torres has had five matches, he is not match fit and has not improved.
Just bad timing and luck, he is a great player but he cannot express that at present.
(Maybe a chance as a sub with nothing else to loose, but no more starts.)

BBC News ? Brazil sack coach Dunga
Not much of a surprise! :rolleyes:

Don't recall if this was posted already.
BBC Sport said:
Uruguay's Luis Suarez has escaped an extended ban for his handball against Ghana, but will miss Tuesday's semi-final with the Netherlands.

Suarez was shown a straight red card for the illegal goal-line clearance which kept out Dominic Adiyah's header in Friday's quarter-final.

Substitute Adiyah's last-minute header would have proved to be the winner.

Fifa had been considering increasing Suarez's ban to two-games, potentially ruling him out of the World Cup final.

The governing body's disciplinary code gives the committee the option of a longer ban for "unsportsmanlike conduct", but Suarez insisted afterwards he had little option but to use his hand.

And Fifa's disciplinary commission ruled on Saturday the ban should be just for one game.
:)

I heard Suarez was merely claiming it was the 'hand of Suarez' rather than 'hand of God'. I personally have no issue with what he did. It's the dying seconds of the game and he had a chance to stop the goal. It doesnt matter whether he misses the next game because if Uruguay go home he'll be out of the World Cup anyway. By stopping the ball with his hand and preventing a certain goal, he's opening up the chance that Ghana might just miss the ensuring penalty, which they did. It sucks for Ghana, and it sucks on a sporting level as it might not have been the most sporting of moves, but it was entirely fair.

+1. He did what he had to do.

^ Torres has had five matches, he is not match fit and has not improved.
Just bad timing and luck, he is a great player but he cannot express that at present.
(Maybe a chance as a sub with nothing else to loose, but no more starts.)

Pains me to say it, but I fully agree.

Weeeellll...so he is banned for one game?
On contrast, M?ller who saw two yellow cards in 5 matches is also banned for one game?
I dunno if this is fair.
I can understand why he did it but he should face harsher consequences.

Germanies Goalie(Neuer) was very quick to get the ball back into the game after the 3lion non-goal. I guess this too was a factor when the refs decided not to allow the goal. That too was quick thinking but he was in his right to do that even if he knew the ball was across the line. Suarez otoh was NOT in his right to do what he did even if it was necessaray. The consequences don't fit the deed. Just my opinion.

...but then again this isn't always a fair game.