Ownership Verified: The £480 Lexus

Brotan

was saved by Spezi
Car(s)
E46(sold), S203, GXE10
A quick update:

Finally got around on Friday to get the registration procedure started, allowing me to drive 3 months with the UK plates.

Two days later (today):

I'll go enjoy the Lexus on a sunny day and I walk up to this:

Whelp.. I guess not

Brotan

was saved by Spezi
Car(s)
E46(sold), S203, GXE10
The good thing here is that this was one of those occasions which never happens, the person who drove their van into it left their contact details and will handle the insurance. (I needed a new front bumper anyway) so, I can sort of count this as a win.

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
is that front mounting bracket stock???
that thing must weigh a ton!!

and looks totally overkill for its purpose...

loose_unit

DONOR
Car(s)
Zastava, MX-5, M140i, Pluriel, Equus
The good thing here is that this was one of those occasions which never happens, the person who drove their van into it left their contact details and will handle the insurance. (I needed a new front bumper anyway) so, I can sort of count this as a win.
You can't be too mad then, obviously it sucks but accidents happen!

public

Has been known to shou emousshiöns
DONOR
Car(s)
205–405–MX5–Polo–Panda–Daimler
is that front mounting bracket stock???
that thing must weigh a ton!!

and looks totally overkill for its purpose...
I think it's some sort of aftermarket tow rig, as the car seems to have a history of being towed behind a caravan for holiday purposes and the front bumper has a trailer hookup for brake lights etc. I presume the beam will get binned the first thing when the car is repaired again.

Redliner

Will bore you to death with butterfly facts
DONOR
Hookers, deadly mosquitoes, pimps and drug dealers
Car(s)
2013 Palio Sporting
I think it's some sort of aftermarket tow rig, as the car seems to have a history of being towed behind a caravan for holiday purposes and the front bumper has a trailer hookup for brake lights etc. I presume the beam will get binned the first thing when the car is repaired again.
Weight savings!

Tram13

Car(s)
90% of the time I use public transport
I'd say you got out of this pretty lucky. Is anything besides the bumper (and possibly a few clips) broken? He could've done way more damage to your car. And you will be paid by insurance to fix a previously broken part.

Also:
I had to Google such a thing, but I've never seen a caravan towing a car that's not on a trailer. Is it really that much cheaper to modify a car so it can be towed by a caravan than buying a separate trailer, which would also save the tyres and to an extent the suspension as well?

Last edited:

public

Has been known to shou emousshiöns
DONOR
Car(s)
205–405–MX5–Polo–Panda–Daimler
I don't know, the motorhome people are weird enough to begin with. :p

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
TBH, I’m surprised just a handwritten note is enough. Here they’d want a police report before insurance would do anything. Usually people are shitty wouldn’t help you.