The adult VTEC: 2006 Acura TL

My ride's officially been pimped.

MTR75P3.jpg

And by that I mean I got the windows tinted.

Before:

Stock windows have a very light (75%) slightly bluish factory shade as part of the glass.

After:

From the outside, the windows are pretty dark - I honestly expect to be pulled over, although the tint level is legal (just). There is definitely more privacy now and I'm really digging the look. From the inside, it's similar to wearing light sunglasses. Yesterday it was drizzling and today I was inside a parking garage and both times I have zero issues with visibility - stock and tinted honestly don't look that different from inside. This morning it was about 78F (26C) and sunny and there is a noticeable difference in heat from the sun on bare skin, as well as how hot surfaces feel to the touch (this tint is rated for, iirc, 57% heat rejection and it blocks 99% of UV rays).

I'm very satisfied so far and I'm glad I did it before summer really got into full swing (today is the first hot day of the year).

Also, turns out my back windows go all the way down, which is neat.

Last edited:
Looks good! I don't like it when people only do the rear windows, as that makes the car look sliced in half.

Looks good! I don't like it when people only do the rear windows, as that makes the car look sliced in half.
That's usually due to either state law - as some states have different legal limits for front and rear windows (thankfully MA just says 35% for all but the windshield) - or it's factory on SUVs and minivans:

2016-RAV4-Hybrid-Exterior-Dynamic-10_1-xlarge_trans++c1lEsD_r7SmsTVAqRKPvCYZET_pGFyKGmHtkAAQkSJc.jpg

Yeah, not a lot of people tint the front here either. I've seen it on some taxis mostly, and getting them inspected is probably a hassle.

yup.. tinting the fronts is illegal in here

Saved myself nearly a grand today. Over the last few days the car started "bucking" at low speeds and low throttle input, especially in 1st gear. Today it did it in 2nd and 3rd. The most likely culprit was the accelerator position sensor (APP), a drive-by-wire gizmo, going bad. Off to the junk yard I went and came back with a new sensor and $30 less in my wallet. Put it in and all is well again. Also, my bluetooth module (HFL - Handsfree Link, as Acura calls it) has been acting up and taking 10-15 minutes to pair with my phone. Took the module out, baked it in the oven, and it seems to have improved but it's still not perfect so I'll probably bake it some more. Pretty easy car to work on so far. Next up, fixing rattling exhaust heat shields.

And by that I mean I got the windows tinted.
How much did that run you, if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to get the tint redone on my car to help with the crappy Biodome heat sink that is the massive rear hatch.

How much did that run you, if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to get the tint redone on my car to help with the crappy Biodome heat sink that is the massive rear hatch.
It all depends on the quality of the tint itself and the reputation of the installer. Low-end tint does little for UV and heat rejection, looks cheap, and becomes discolored after a few years (just look at any slammed Civic and you'll know what I mean). For UV and heat rejection you want either a) metallic tint, which can interfere with radio waves, or b) ceramic tint, which is basically the best. I went with Pinnacle FormulaOne ceramic from a highly recommended installer and a kick-ass warranty; cost me ~$400 and worth every penny.

Nice socks bro.

Didn't realise your car had a cassette player! In 2006?

Didn't realise your car had a cassette player! In 2006?
Even the last year of this generation, 2008, had a cassette player, even when equipped with navigation :lol:

32574771-2-440-INTERIOR-4.gif

Ironically, my 1999 Mazda does not have one :lol:

Now does this tell us something about the sort of people that buy these new? :hmm:

I have to admit, this looks like a genius purchase. I'm considering one myself as a daily. Hard to find up here with a stick, but that's mandatory if only to avoid the dreaded Honda automatic taking a shit.

Now does this tell us something about the sort of people that buy these new? :hmm:
Probably that they wanted something faster, roomier, and more reliable than a comparable 3-series or A4 ;)

I have to admit, this looks like a genius purchase. I'm considering one myself as a daily. Hard to find up here with a stick, but that's mandatory if only to avoid the dreaded Honda automatic taking a shit.
Thanks :) On top of being reliable, the manual also has better brakes, a limited slip diff, and makes more power.

Probably that they wanted something faster, roomier, and more reliable than a comparable 3-series or A4 ;)

I was more hinting at the buyer probably being a bit on the older side when it comes to their age. :lol:

I was more hinting at the buyer probably being a bit on the older side when it comes to their age. :lol:
It would actually be pretty interesting if dealers retained (anonymous) demographics information about their customers and the vehicles they were buying.

It would actually be pretty interesting if dealers retained (anonymous) demographics information about their customers and the vehicles they were buying.

Um, they actually do - well, the brand does, anyway.