The "American Leyland" News Thread

It's time for the sporadic AL News Roundup.

First, a bit of a rehash that I didn't see posted here. From the "Wait, wasn't the idea of the Obama bailout to keep jobs in America?" department and AutoEvolution:

Chrysler to Build 100,000 Fiat 500 in Mexico
19th of October 2009 | 10:15 GMT | Bogdan Popa

As part of the Fiat - Chrysler alliance, the Italian carmaker will bring several new models in the United States but the 500 mini car will be the only one to be sold under the Fiat badge. The car is going to be produced by Chrysler in Mexico and, according to people close to the matter, the US-based former bankrupt automaker has already required suppliers to make sure that their parts are enough for around 100,000 Fiat 500.

The Fiat 500 produced in Mexico will be sold in the US, Canada and South America, Bloomberg reported, with initial production goals pointing to 104,000 to 120,000 vehicles per year.

Other details are still unknown for the time being but automotive analysts are predicting the Fiat 500 is going to be cheaper than the Mini Cooper.

"We don"t think it will be priced much lower than the Mini Cooper, and if that is the case we think it will have a fairly limited appeal," he said.

Previous rumors hinted that Fiat will initially sell a limited volume of 500 mini cars in the United States and will deliver them to customers through Chrysler's dealership network. However, it's still unclear how many stores will actually offer the model in Chrysler's domestic market.

"The Fiat 500 - we see that, like the Mini, as a sort of boutique car that we think we can sell in good numbers on the East and West coasts in the same way that Mini has been successful in the U.S.," Richard Gadeselli, vice president of Fiat communications in Italy, said earlier this year.

Next up is an interesting opinion piece from The Washington Post by a Forbes editor-at-large:

Saturn and Me: GM Loses a Customer
By Allan Sloan
Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Until last week I had been one of General Motors' most reliable customers for more than 15 years. But my relationship with GM ended the very day the company announced that it was closing its Saturn operation -- something I learned when I came home from trading in my 2003 Saturn Vue for a new, spiffy 2010 SUV with an Asian nameplate.

However, my decision to abandon GM had been made months earlier, after GM made it clear that it was going to drop Saturn. That meant GM was abandoning me and other Saturn owners by sticking us with "orphans" whose resale and trade-in values were greatly diminished.

My wife and I bought five Saturns from 1992 through 2003, turning three of them over to our children, one of whom still drives hers. I liked the Saturns' reasonable price and being able to buy them -- even our Vue SUV -- with manual transmissions. I especially liked Saturn's famous no-price-haggling policy. I didn't have to worry about finding that I had overpaid and feeling stupid.

But when my wife and I decided to depart from our customary "a-car-is-only-transportation" frugality and buy an upscale SUV, which Saturn doesn't offer, we didn't consider buying a GM vehicle. Why? Because even though as a numbers-oriented business writer I totally understand why GM abandoned Saturn (and Pontiac and Hummer and Saab and Oldsmobile), as a customer, I'm furious. The old expression goes: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. GM has already fooled me once.

My loyalty to Saturn lasted as long as it did in part because my wife and I have a visceral affection for companies based in the Detroit area, where we lived from 1972 to 1979 when I worked at the Free Press. In addition, we believe in buying American products when we can.

When someone like me, who's bought U.S.-brand cars all his life (except for one Renault), won't even consider a GM product, the company's got a serious problem. It's not a problem that can be solved by TV commercials featuring GM's government-appointed auto-industry-newbie chairman, former AT&T chief executive Ed Whitacre, telling us how much he loves GM. The company has got to earn back our trust, and I'm not sure it can. I hope GM succeeds, but it will have to do it without me as a customer anytime soon.

Given my U.S. preferences, why did I buy an Asian brand rather than a Chrysler or a Ford? Because I don't want to be orphaned by Chrysler, which is even less financially viable than GM, and because my wife had a horrible experience with a Ford, her first car.

On paper, Saturn seemed like a great idea -- and my five purchases, including a 2001 SL2 that I plan to run until it dies, generally performed well. I liked the idea of an import-fighting "different kind of car company," as Saturn called itself, and loved the idea of treating buyers like customers rather than suckers. But as we know, Saturn was a financial disaster, losing about $20 billion over its 20-year life.

Jeannine Fallon of the car-maven-oriented Edmunds.com, who once helped market Saturns, says the brand trapped itself in a low-end niche. "It was aimed at people who didn't know much about cars and didn't want to learn," Fallon says, describing me perfectly. But instead of building Saturn's market by frequently updating its offerings, she told me, GM "rode that horse until it died."

Leaving Saturn meant that for the first time since the 1980s, I found myself bargaining with a car dealer. The Internet was helpful, and I don't think I was suckered too badly. But I still hated the process.

What I liked, though, was that the sticker on my SUV said it had been assembled in Canada and its engine had been made in the United States. That means that while I bought an Asian name, it is largely an American car. So what was good for America wasn't good for General Motors. And that's the bottom line.

Allan Sloan is Fortune magazine's senior editor at large. His e-mail address is asloan@fortunemail.com.

A couple of examples for our European cousins as to how incompetent the US government is at running companies:

Post office was $3.8 billion in the red last year

How Congress Runs The Railroad

Some interesting conclusions by Forbes on the death of Saturn:
Saturn's Implosion Provides A Bevy Of Lessons

I'll post additional articles later.

A couple of examples for our European cousins as to how incompetent the US government is at running companies:

Post office was $3.8 billion in the red last year

How Congress Runs The Railroad

Some interesting conclusions by Forbes on the death of Saturn:
Saturn's Implosion Provides A Bevy Of Lessons

I'll post additional articles later.

Post office: nevermind the fact that snail mail has been in decline for the last 10 or so years as it's being needed less and less. They dropped 100k full time employee's and already say if they can remove 1 day from the delivery schedule it'll save $3.5B.
At this point the Post office is looking to be doing something it actually needs to be doing, changing with the times and downsizing.

Railroad: Interestingly enough the dumb asses that tried to kill the remnants of passenger rail, through some sneaky way as god forbid anyone of them just flat out admit it's useless and kill it, were Republicans and actually thought no one would try and fight to protect it.

Interesting thought a friend of mine had; "Republicans always cry about how everything run by the government is horrible and that it should be in private hands. What they see is a needed service they can provide and make money off of. To prove the government is incapable of doing the job right they run the government like shit." Starting to sound that way between Nixon's folly's and "trickle down economics."

On-topic:
I find it very interesting that a largely UAW controlled company would let such a significant car be built in Mexico in a non UAW plant. Obama wanted to protect jobs in America, he just wasn't specific about which part of it.

Obviously the UAW due's are going to good use protecting the people that pay them.

Last edited:
Ha.
http://jalopnik.com/5416549/daughter-of-resigned-gm-ceo-attacks-new-gm-ceo-on-facebook
Sarah Henderson, daughter of Fritz Henderson, the just-resigned-minutes-ago GM CEO, posted some choice words about Ed Whitacre, the random white guy taking her dad's place at the top of the just-emerged-from-bankruptcy automaker, on the automaker's public Facebook page!

Now don't get us wrong ? we feel for Sarah, but when you pop them up in public in a place like GM's public page, well, all bets are off. Plus, comments like Ed Whitacre being "selfish" help us to understand the new interim CEO just a little bit more. Here's the full text:

"HE FUCKING GOT ASKED TO STEP DOWN ALL OF YOU FUCKING IDIOTS. IM FRITZ'S FUCKING DAUGHTER, AND HE DID NOT FUCKING RESIGN. WHITACRE IS A SELFISH PIECE OF SHIFT, WHO CARES ABOUT HIMSELF AND NOT THE FUCKING COMPANY. HAVE FUN WITH GM, I HOPE TO NEVER BUY FROM THIS GOD FORESAKEN COMPANY EVERY AGAIN. FUCK ALL OF YOU."

But, it's not like we can blame the kid ? we'd be pretty pissed at Ed Whitacre too if he were selfish and wanting to run Government Motors all by himself. (Hat tip to highmileage!)

Send an email to Ray Wert, the author of this post, at ray@jalopnik.com.

Damn it!

You win this round forum search.

Lets see, the mexican bug is in the driveway and the UAW chrysler is now sitting a town over on a dealers lot. I think if I was getting the 500 I would rather be built by the mexicans. Apparently underpaid miserable workers do a better job then overpaid lazy ones.

Obama administration predicts $30B loss on auto bailout

Washington -- The Obama administration will tell Congress Wednesday that it expects to lose about $30 billion of the $82 billion government bailout of the auto industry.

Gene Sperling, senior counsel to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, confirmed in an interview late today that the administration's forecast is that it will lose $30 billion on its auto investments -- but that's down from an earlier estimate of $44 billion.

"The real news is the projected loss came down to $30 billion from $44 billion," Sperling said, noting that auto sales have improved ahead of what many analysts had forecast. The administration still holds out hope that if things improve, the administration could still recover more.

Advertisement

Saving General Motors and Chrysler saved hundreds of thousands of jobs, President Barack Obama said today.

"It was right decision then and the right decision now," Sperling said, calling it a "courageous decision by the president" to give the two automakers a "rebirth even though he knew it was not going to be politically popular."

The estimate -- the first public accounting of losses connected to the rescue of General Motors and Chrysler -- is in line with what the Government Accountability Office, the Troubled Asset Relief Congressional Oversight Panel and former auto czar Steve Rattner have suggested.

The Treasury Department has loaned $50 billion to General Motors, and swapped all but $6.7 billion of it for a 61 percent majority stake in the automaker. In order for taxpayers to be repaid fully, GM's stock would have to be worth far more than current estimates when the company goes public as early as next year.

GM chairman and CEO Edward Whitacre Jr. said that GM will make a $1 billion payment of its outstanding loans on Dec. 31 and plans similar quarterly payments. In a Web chat with reporters today, he said the company could opt to make a lump-sum payment.

The administration forgave much of Chrysler's $12 billion in government loans. Fiat SpA, which owns 20 percent of Chrysler and controls the company, must repay $6 billion of the loans before it can acquire a majority stake in the automaker. It can get 15 percent by meeting three benchmarks.

The Treasury Department has also injected $13.5 billion into auto finance company GMAC and now owns a 35.4 percent stake. It is not clear if the government predicts it will lose any of that stake.

President Barack Obama defended the rescue of the auto industry at a speech on the economy today.

"We also took steps to prevent the rapid dissolution of the American auto industry, which faced a crisis partly of its own making, to prevent the loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs during an already fragile time," Obama said. "These were not decisions that were popular or satisfying; these were decisions that were necessary."

Obama has noted that the bailout was deeply unpopular and not something he wanted to do.

"I didn't run for president to pass emergency recovery programs or to bail out banks or to shore up auto companies," he said Saturday during his weekly radio address.

The administration's report to Congress will disclose that the costs of the $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program will shrink by at least $200 billion below the projection released in August. Obama wants to tap some of those funds for job creation and to pay down the deficit.

Not entirely car related...but amusing, as it seems even GM's finance groups are failing...

The US finance group, GMAC, will receive a further $3.8bn from the federal government to cover losses incurred on its mortgages.

The money is below the $5.6bn earmarked for the company, but it comes on top of the $12.5bn it has already been given.

The company is the former finance arm of General Motors, but a third of its balance sheet is mortgage finance.

That sector is still losing money - and the loss is on course to be another $3.3bn in the fourth quarter.

The US Treasury Department's statement said GMAC had needed less help than it had planned for, because the restructurings of General Motors and Chrysler were accomplished with less disruption to GMAC than banking supervisors initially projected.

GMAC has received billions of dollars of government aid to combat mortgage losses and to provide funds for Americans to buy cars.

It is also critical for thousands of car dealers, who use its funds to stock their showrooms.

It is one of the companies worst hit by the financial downturn. In December 2008, the government stepped in with a $6bn bail-out.

Then, in May 2009, the Treasury announced that it would provide billions more in aid.

GMAC became an independent finance company in 2006 after GM sold a 51% stake in the business.

Its mortgage business, Residential Capital, known as ResCap, has lost $10bn in the past three years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8435770.stm

I don't have a say in the matter since i don't pay taxes to the U.S, but how is it possible for them to inject money to something that is pretty much doomed and everyone in a 7.4 million mile radius can see it. If anything, they should close it, relocate employees, cut bonuses for top excecutives. How does politics work anyway.

Ha.
IM FRITZ'S FUCKING DAUGHTER.

May i presume the non-fucking one is in a boarding school

Last edited:
How does politics work anyway.

Witchcraft i suspect.

We had a Mitsubishi factory in south australia. They kept complaining they were going broke, which was probably true because they were making crap cars that nobody wanted to buy. The goverment threw them a bone on more than one occasion but the last time they asked for more money the goverment here said no. Sure a few thousand people lost their jobs but life goes on and you can't expect the government to keep supporting poor business plans even when being blackmailed with the potential loss of jobs.

Funny thing politics.

I don't have a say in the matter since i don't pay taxes to the U.S, but how is it possible for them to inject money to something that is pretty much doomed and everyone in a 7.4 million mile radius can see it. If anything, they should close it, relocate employees, cut bonuses for top excecutives. How does politics work anyway.

They either know it and don't care (because they're paying back the people who got them elected) or are deliberately ignoring it.

They have $400 Million reasons to bail out their union buddies. They don't even have the fig leaf of 'we're doing this for the greater good' because the most number of people they're going to help in the US with this and their other 'union support' programs via the Suck-lus Bill is 7% of the population. Then they wonder why their programs don't work.

Witchcraft i suspect.

We had a Mitsubishi factory in south australia. They kept complaining they were going broke, which was probably true because they were making crap cars that nobody wanted to buy. The goverment threw them a bone on more than one occasion but the last time they asked for more money the goverment here said no. Sure a few thousand people lost their jobs but life goes on and you can't expect the government to keep supporting poor business plans even when being blackmailed with the potential loss of jobs.

Our current government thinks that pouring money we don't have down a hole that won't pay us back in the name of supporting jobs manufacturing products that people don't want is a great idea.

Last edited:

I tried to say out of this thread, as frankly I am completely biased as my dad is getting pension from GM.

But...WTF...how the hell was that passed in anyway. I mean doesn't the US gov't partially own Chrysler? THEN WHY DID YOU GIVE IT TO THE BLOODY MEXICANS.

Honestly...I can't facepalm enough to show how haraiouslly bad this is.

I tried to say out of this thread, as frankly I am completely biased as my dad is getting pension from GM.

But...WTF...how the hell was that passed in anyway. I mean doesn't the US gov't partially own Chrysler? THEN WHY DID YOU GIVE IT TO THE BLOODY MEXICANS.

Honestly...I can't facepalm enough to show how haraiouslly bad this is.

It's getting better than that - GM is majority owned and almost completely operated by the government, which stated that they wanted to keep jobs in the US, and even forced them to make the Volt here.... Then it turns out that GM is going to relocate a lot of production to China anyway.

Ooops.

It's getting better than that - GM is majority owned and almost completely operated by the government, which stated that they wanted to keep jobs in the US, and even forced them to make the Volt here.... Then it turns out that GM is going to relocate a lot of production to China anyway.

Ooops.

And how much of it is owned by the UAW? Shouldn't they be fighting to protect their own union labors jobs (so they can continue to pay dues) or do they not care anymore since they now have a stake in the company?

And how much of it is owned by the UAW? Shouldn't they be fighting to protect their own union labors jobs (so they can continue to pay dues) or do they not care anymore since they now have a stake in the company?

I believe that in GM's case they are deliberately keeping their head down and avoiding a potential Sherman Anti-Trust Act or RICO suit. Ford may already have cause, so they're already on shaky ground as it is.

Besides, what do they care? The UAW will just keep receiving money from the government. Their pet politicians certainly aren't going to say no now.

And more news of American Leyland, courtesy of Yahoo:

GM CEO Whitacre receives $9M pay package
General Motors CEO Whitacre to get $9M pay package; ex-CEO Henderson rehired as a consultant

By Dan Strumpf, AP Auto Writer , On Friday February 19, 2010, 6:07 pm EST

NEW YORK (AP) -- General Motors Co. CEO Ed Whitacre will receive a salary of $1.7 million this year, plus stock awards that will bring his total pay package to $9 million at a later date, the automaker said Friday.

In a surprise announcement, GM also said former CEO Fritz Henderson has been rehired as a consultant. Henderson, who was forced out of the job in December, will work 20 hours a month and will be paid $59,090 a month, the company said.

Whitacre's total compensation is larger than Henderson's when he was CEO. Henderson received a total pay package worth nearly $5.5 million.

Whitacre's pay package includes a cash salary of $1.7 million that took effect Jan. 1. It also includes $5.3 million in stock awarded in increments starting in 2012, plus another stock award worth $2 million. The details, including the timing, of the $2 million stock award still need to be worked out, a GM spokeswoman said.

GM is 60 percent owned by the federal government and has received $52 billion in federal aid. The company plans to repay as much of the money as possible by issuing stock to the public, possibly as early as this year.

Initially named interim CEO by the board of directors in December, Whitacre was officially awarded the title in January. At the time, Whitacre, who is also chairman, said the main reason he was taking the job was to bring stability to the top of the struggling Detroit automaker.

GM spokeswoman Renee Rashid-Merem said Whitacre's pay is higher than Henderson's because of his previous CEO experience.

"Ed is a long-serving veteran CEO and chairman, and while his package is higher than Fritz's, it is significantly lower than that of our peer companies," Rashid-Merem said in an e-mail.

Henderson's re-enlistment at GM marks a surprise return for the former CEO. Whitacre announced Henderson's retirement at a hastily called news conference on Dec. 1, the day before Henderson was scheduled to give the keynote address at the Los Angeles Auto Show. GM sent Vice Chairman Bob Lutz as a last-minute replacement.

Henderson was tapped by the Obama administration to run GM last March after forcing out former CEO Rick Wagoner. He led GM through its record-fast bankruptcy, but his tenure was marred by some failed deals and weak sales.

At the time, people close to Henderson said the board ousted him because it was upset the automaker was changing too slowly. Henderson, for his part, was tired of all the second-guessing from the board, these people said.

"I'm just wondering if Whitacre has re-evaluated a little bit," said Rebecca Lindland, auto analyst at the consulting firm IHS-Global Insight.

Henderson and GM agreed on his return Thursday, GM said. His contract will run through Dec. 31.

Whitacre, a former CEO of AT&T Inc., made $350,000 as chairman, but his salary as CEO had to be set by the board and approved by the U.S. government.
GM said Whitacre will not receive any additional compensation as chairman.

Whitacre's pay package exceeds the limits imposed on companies that have received U.S. government aid, but the an exemption was worked out with government pay czar Kenneth Feinberg, GM said.

New GM Chief Financial Officer Chris Liddell will get a salary of $750,000 next year. He'll get up to another $5.45 million in stock starting in 2012 if GM successfully sells shares to the public, the company said in December.

GM also is paying former Wall Street adviser Stephen Girsky $1.1 million a year in cash and company stock for his dual roles as board member and special adviser to Whitacre.

AP Auto Writer Tom Krisher contributed to this report from Detroit.

Reading between the lines and AP's mindless "rah rah rah" governmental support, looks like Whitacre's in over his head and they're bringing Henderson back in to help him, along with Girsky.

Last edited:
Damn, I wish I got paid $2,954.50 per hour.

Your tax dollars at work. <_<

I'm glad Handerson is back,he seems like the go to main for bringing them to profitability. Oh wait!

This just in from the LA Times:

GM to recall 1.3 million compact cars to fix power steering problem
The Associated Press

March 1, 2010 | 7:59 p.m.
THE RECALL: General Motors Co. will recall 1.3 million Chevrolet and Pontiac compact cars sold in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

THE PROBLEM: The power steering assist can fail due to faulty electric motors.

THE MODELS: 2005 to 2010 Chevrolet Cobalts, 2007 to 2010 Pontiac G5s, 2005 and 2006 Pontiac Pursuits sold in Canada and 2005 and 2006 Pontiac G4s sold in Mexico.

THE REMEDY: Replace the motors as soon as GM can get parts to dealers. Owners will be notified when to come in for repairs.

WHAT TO DO: GM says the cars can still be driven safely but could become harder to steer below 15 mph.

Yeah... I don't think I want to be anywhere near any of those things. I wouldn't say that sudden loss or random sporadic loss of power assist is 'safe to drive' in one of those heaps.

So, where's the Congressional investigation into this problem? It's been a known issue with these cars since 2007, yet they kept cranking them out.... Oh, wait, it's owned by the government now, so they don't have to actually answer to anyone for their actions...

Last edited:
I can see why you are pissed. But I have to say losing power steering is much less of an issue (imo) then having the electronics go wonky on you and the ECU fuck up or cars randomly accelerating.

I mean you can still drive the car, it is just harder to turn.