The "American Leyland" News Thread

Actually, FWD was a problem.

See, people who had gotten out of the habit of buying GM would get a little older and think that they might want to trade in their 3er or Mercedes C-class for something a bit larger and more comfortable. They remembered that their parents/grandparents/whoever had had a Cadillac back in the old days, heard that Caddy quality was up, and the latest product didn't look bad. They would go to the Caddy dealer and check out a car for a test drive. Say, an ETC or STS (fwd from a few years back).

Usually the test drive would end abruptly when the potential customer hammered the throttle and torque steer sent the thing heading for the ditch - very disconcerting to someone used to a RWD car. Back to the dealership they would go, and off they would go to buy another BMW, another Merc, or a Lexus LS.

I don't disagree what FWD was PART of the problem but really take any of the older Cadis and stick RWD on it w/o any other mods. Would you still want it?

Eh... The FWD STS wouldn't have been a bad car as RWD.

I also wouldn't have minded if the early 70s Eldorado coupe had been RWD. Sinister looking beast, that was. I would still have one - if it weren't FWD.

I don't disagree what FWD was PART of the problem but really take any of the older Cadis and stick RWD on it w/o any other mods. Would you still want it?

I might have considered one (used as with any of my cars) in that event, assuming of course they might be a bit easier to work on. I still think they are excellent looking pieces of machinery, let down by GM's declining reputation and less than stellar handling.

Eh... The FWD STS wouldn't have been a bad car as RWD.

I also wouldn't have minded if the early 70s Eldorado coupe had been RWD. Sinister looking beast, that was. I would still have one - if it weren't FWD.

I used to love the Eldorado till I found out it was FWD actually :p

If a Tornado can be made RWD (and AWD :p) it's upscale stablemate should be switchable as well.

Somebody here in town actually has a Buick Park Avenue. I was standing next to him at the lights and it made some really strange noises.

I was asking myself: What could possibly drive a man here to buy such a car?

Somebody here in town actually has a Buick Park Avenue. I was standing next to him at the lights and it made some really strange noises.

I was asking myself: What could possibly drive a man here to buy such a car?

A better question would be "who thought it was a good idea to import one in the first place????"

I used to love the Eldorado till I found out it was FWD actually :p
Why that car is nearly 20ft long and the convertibles' cowl shakes more than a bobblehead? If you really want FR then get a DeVille, imho the 4th gen is the best car cadillac made in that era, i was never a fan of the huge fins.

Why that car is nearly 20ft long and the convertibles' cowl shakes more than a bobblehead? If you really want FR then get a DeVille, imho the 4th gen is the best car cadillac made in that era, i was never a fan of the huge fins.

No reason at all just thought it was badass :)

* The Fiat 500 will be produced in Toluca, Mexico for sale in the United States beginning in July 2011. The Fiat 500 is built on the 169 platform and is expected to reach a sales volume of 25,000 units in 2015. The Fiat 500 will be the only Fiat-badged model sold in the United States. It is a subcompact that competes with the MINI.

Except it will be built in Mexico like my car and most likely not be very good because of it. :?

Except it will be built in Mexico like my car and most likely not be very good because of it. :?

Could be worse.

It could be built by the UAW, in which case it would be hopeless.

True, Mexican Beetle is holding up much better than UAW PT

Prizrak

Spectre

Originally Posted by prizrak
I used to love the Eldorado till I found out it was FWD actually

That FWD system deosn't have torque steer(center differential), and can handle tons of power. That trans was used in several mid-engine kit cars.

That FWD system deosn't have torque steer(center differential), and can handle tons of power. That trans was used in several mid-engine kit cars.

They also used two of that FWD driveline in this beast.

http://img20.imageshack.**/img20/9996/image7c.gif

Which had twin supercharged 425s.