The Android thread

I decided to get my dad the Xperia arc since it has one of the better cameras in the Android world (and it's his birthday).

May not be dual-core but he won't be using it for intensive stuff anyways, just light to moderate use of media - worth it for the Exmor-R camera though.

And i must say, it's pretty smooth considering its just running the 2nd gen Snapdragon, almost iPhone smooth and feels pretty sturdy and nice considering its plastic construction.

Myself, i'll be on the bandwagon waiting for the SGSII and attempt to perform some form of HUP with Rogers since it'll only be a year since my last upgrade by the time the SGSII arrives at Rogers. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I really like the Xperia Arc, I think I'm gonna get one for a travel phone. Really, the only other good option for a great camera is the N8, but Symbian is a turnoff in 2011.

I also like the Xperia Arc, but I wonder what the build quality is like.

Hmm, SGII, Sensation or Arc. So much for I'll keep the Desire when it gets gingerbread....

I'm yet to find anything as well rounded as the Desire. The size, the power of it. Get rid of sense and it just screams along.

I also like the Xperia Arc, but I wonder what the build quality is like.

Well for first impressions, it feels sturdy, don't think i've heard of any squeaks from the battery cover (would be prone since it's plastic and some people have had this issue).

It comes pre-applied with a screen protector from the factory (like the X10), one less thing to buy. Seems like the glass has the same diagonal lines like the Desire has, don't think my X10's glass looks like that.

phone's been awesome. any killer free apps i need ASAP?

launcher pro or adw if you don't like the blur launcher, while it wont get rid of the background stuff like teh widgets, the good thing is that the Droid 2 and up lines use Motorola Application Platform so there isn't much "Blur" there to begin with.

ColorNote's a good notetaking app, amazon appstore for free app of the day, chrome 2 phone for pushing weblinks, DailyRoads Voyager if you do in car vids for the one thread here, as at least on Droid 1, there's a 30 min hard time limit for videos...

Also,look at dropbox and google reader.

oh and look at soundhound for music identification, and yelp for local business reviews. yaiic for irc chat and pandora for radio. last.fm for scrobbling if you do that.

Last edited:
I'm yet to find anything as well rounded as the Desire. The size, the power of it. Get rid of sense and it just screams along.

My only complaint with the Desire is internal memory. I don't like having to fiddle around with A2SD and EXT partitions, and even then not all the data is moved to the EXT partition. Even with a Casemate case on it its still an excellent size to carry around.

I need to look into data2SD when I have the time.

So my phone is actually a HTC Cruise 09. So, any Android options?

Your best option is to look at the XDA-Developers forum, this is where pretty much all of custom smartphone software happens. They have a subforum for pretty much every device that is moddable, however, old devices seem to get deleted after a while; I haven't found anything about the Cruise, but maybe you'll have better luck.

XDA don't actually delete old devices, they just had to move them since they decided to cover all smartphones and not just Windows Mobile.

Anyway, you can find that phone in the legacy section, here's the link. But unfortunately it doesn't look like an Android port is available for it... it has the specs but nobody's made it work.

Right now, since there are no decent devices over at Rogers and got my dad the Xperia arc, looking at locally trading the Xperia X10 with cash on top or instead of cash on top, offer my Blackberry 8220 also for an HTC Incredible S (I'm crazy that way :p).

Unless you guys have any other phone suggestions, i'll stick with looking for the Incredible S.

Galaxy S 2. I think that works on Rogers.

I think my plan is to trade for now, then quite possibly upgrade through Rogers to the Galaxy S II whenever that arrives (i hear late summer).

I'm just trying to make it till that Galaxy S II release while trying to get rid of the X10 (getting bored of it :p).

But for the meantime, just wanna trade for an HTC device as none would be coming to Rogers anyways (heck maybe the Atrix could do for the meantime), just gotta find the right person.

But the S II... just love how nice the Super AMOLED display is and it's slim chassis... also the dual-core exynos processor.

Nexus One for $269. They still go for that much used, so if you're thinking of getting one, or any Android handset, this could be a good deal for you. They don't ship outside the US, but I am willing to be a middle man for any furiners that are interested.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;sTx-5CGDvM8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTx-5CGDvM8[/video]

Nexus One for $269. They still go for that much used, so if you're thinking of getting one, or any Android handset, this could be a good deal for you. They don't ship outside the US, but I am willing to be a middle man for any furiners that are interested.
:think:

Really?

Done it a couple times for members already. I use USPS flatrate shipping, and iirc, anywhere is the world in 5-9 days is $14, and $28 for 3-5 days. So with the $5 shipping to me, you could have it in a week or two for under $300USD. PM if interested.