The Android thread

Android Market's international paid app footprint to hit 131 countries

android-market-international.jpg

:shakefist:

Last edited:
Ya'll need to stop talking about the Galaxy S II, since I'm having a serious case of WANT on that but my contract isn't up for a while. Its ok though, I'd rather have a hardware keyboard version anyways. Thats the only thing I miss about my POS HTC Fuze. My Captivate is still doing great so I don't have a lot to complain about, but that S II seems to take care of any minor issues I might have about the Captivate.

In terms of minor issues being cleared up, the Infuse does that, but it'd be a waste of money unless AT&T doesn't get a GS2 variant any time soon.

In terms of minor issues being cleared up, the Infuse does that, but it'd be a waste of money unless AT&T doesn't get a GS2 variant any time soon.

Yeah, but my two new requirements for a phone are dual core and 4g LTE compatible. That does look like a nice phone though, but not worth the upgrade IMHO. I think by the time I'm looking to get a new phone, the GS II devices should be downright affordable if the pricing of buying a new Galaxy S phone is any indicator now. I'm still plenty happy with my Cognitioned Captivate, so I can wait.

The Infuse has the 4.5" screen though, I'd love to see that. It's a shame it's single core.

Not much discussion about Honeycomb and Android tablets in general here, so I thought I'd bring in a question.

My mom has had an iPad for quite a while now, long enough for me to decide I want a tablet as well. But for me, it's going to be Honeycomb for multiple reasons. I think now is the time one can actually look around and get one of the things, since Google finally seems to be putting some efforts behind the platform, and with multiple devices hitting the market this year, the software situation should drastically improve as well (actually, one of my reasons for a Honeycomb tablet is app development). Now, there are two alternatives I'm considering at the moment: the Asus Eee Pad Transformer and the Acer Iconia Tab A500.

asus-eeepad-transformer1_501.jpg
Acer-Iconia-Tab-A500.jpg

My arguments so far for the two devices are:
Asus Eee Pad Transformer: IPS screen, lower price (without keyboard attachment) or keyboard attachment (don't really see the need, but want to try it out first).
Acer Iconia Tab: aluminum casing (a really nice thing to hold), availability - it's on the shelves here already.

The Xoom is pretty much out of it, for the simple reason of it being the same hardware as the two above for almost double the price. Another candidate would possibly be the Galaxy Tab 10.1" from Samsung, but I'm not sure about pricing nor availability.

So, here we go... Any ideas or comments on the matter are very welcome :)

A co-worker just got the Eee Transformer (I think, it's an ASUS with a keyboard dock). It has a few niggles but the interface was really slick, very smooth to operate and very pretty to look at. The keyboard dock was quite pricy, though, so without it, I'm not sure it has any advantages over the Acer. I'm actually looking at the Windows version of the Acer myself.

I was really digging the Eee Transformer for a while, after having used a Nook color with an IPS display I really think this is a must for any tablet - traditional TFT just won't cut it for me.

I still like the Eee Transformer but you can't really find it anywhere right now unless you've already been on the waiting list... at least over here.

A co-worker just got the Eee Transformer (I think, it's an ASUS with a keyboard dock). It has a few niggles but the interface was really slick, very smooth to operate and very pretty to look at. The keyboard dock was quite pricy, though, so without it, I'm not sure it has any advantages over the Acer. I'm actually looking at the Windows version of the Acer myself.

I wouldn't say the keyboard dock is pricey... you get a stand, keyboard and 16 hours of battery life for $150... a much better proposition than the dock offered by the Atrix 4G.

Oh, and not that it really makes any difference, but I wouldn't say the W500 is the Windows version of the Iconia Tab A500. I don't think they have anything in common other than the Iconia part of the name (which seems to be Acer's new line of everything touchscreen).

Last edited:
I held an Iconia, it was very nice, but unless it underwhelmed me when handled, the Transformer would get my money.

EDIT: Forgot about the silly-named HTC coming out. Depending on cost that could be a real winner. Still, as Shawn said, IPS ftw.

Last edited:
Galaxy S 2. I think that works on Rogers.

I shall have one mid-next week hopefully on Rogers. Stupid UK delay on the next shipment lol

I am going to buy an Android phone. My plan is to buy a T-Mobile G2X, but I wish to buy it unlocked and without a contract.

Does anyone know a good place to do so?

Are they willing to sell the phone for the full $500, sim unlocked, so I can use it with anyone, with no contract?

Since that's what I want to do.

Are they willing to sell the phone for the full $500, sim unlocked, so I can use it with anyone, with no contract?

Since that's what I want to do.

As far as I know, they do indeed let you do that. You'd probably get a more definitive answer by calling up the store instead of asking here, though. :p

How much was it if you don't mind me asking? :p

Just over 700CAD (including the cost of conversion by the credit company). All said and done it will be about 800-850. Shipping takes 2-3 days with Fedex for like 30 bucks (and thats shipping 2 of them as my buddy is getting one as well so we shipped them together).

Holy crap that's a lot.