The Android thread

Well the 2.1 update I used on my Droid was from Google as well, and it works fine. Something else must have gone wrong for him.

Wait for the EVO. It's the HD2, running Android, with 4G and WIFI hotspot for 8 other clients.

Sprints for 4G is only available in <20 CITIES iirc. Houston has it, so I could use it, even at my house, but once I leave that's it D:

'Sides, I <3 T-Mo

Awesome! I'm actually excited! A android phone with a *gasp* usable keyboard, and a large screen. I really hope it's just vanilla android and a Google Experience phone, no Blur or Sense overlays to cause the OS to fall behind in terms of upgrades.

EDIT: I wonder if this is a HTC device...I really do hope so and it's not just some no name rebadged phone that will get no community support.

I wonder if Google's version was the same as the one Verizon is pushing down OTA? The reason why it took so long for Droid to get a 2.1 update was because Verizon is known for testing the hell out of updates. Something similar happened with my Omnia's big OS update..announced and delayed..etc...

It is HTC, says it on the back. This doesn't look like a Sense UI phone. They're usually a little moar elegant. Could be wrong tho.

http://www.tmonews.com/2010/01/mytouch-slide-images-leak/

The res is low, it's what the G1/Hero res is, so it'll prolly be a 3.2" screen, wish it was bigger.

Motorola has the Droid, Milestone and Cliq, all running Android with slideout qwerty keyboards.

I'm currently seriously thinking about cancelling my contract with T-Mobile when it runs out and opening one with Sprint in order to get a Evo 4G. I live in Chicago, which has full Sprint 4G (Clear WiMax) coverage, so no problem there...

Motorola has the Droid, Milestone and Cliq, all running Android with slideout qwerty keyboards.

Aren't they the same?

I'm currently seriously thinking about cancelling my contract with T-Mobile when it runs out and opening one with Sprint in order to get a Evo 4G. I live in Chicago, which has full Sprint 4G (Clear WiMax) coverage, so no problem there...

nice phone, but still wimax isnt 4G! oh god why do they advertice that as 4G?
and does the sprint wimax able to change the towers when on the move, last time i heard that wimax can't without disconnecting the connection.

I think the Milestone has a bit inferior hardware.

EDIT: ah, just different market designation, how idiotic.

I think the Milestone has a bit inferior hardware.

EDIT: ah, just different market designation, how idiotic.

Milestone is exactly the same hardware wise as Droid, except it runs on GSM (and so can use SIM cards). Software wise it has a few different features than the Droid (such as special 2.1 Gallery, Camera, Music, or Google News & Weather Widget (ie. GenieWidget), but you can just download an .apk file from the web and it'll work fine on the Milestone.

Milestone is exactly the same hardware wise as Droid, except it runs on GSM (and so can use SIM cards). Software wise it has a few different features than the Droid (such as special 2.1 Gallery, Camera, Music, or Google News & Weather Widget (ie. GenieWidget), but you can just download an .apk file from the web and it'll work fine on the Milestone.

Or just update the Droid to 2.1 and run all that stuff just the same. ;)

HSDPA+ my friend is just as fast from Tmo..Only reason I'll jump ship is if my coverage in PA once I move to start college is totally shite.

We'll see if T-Mo gets a good HSDPA+ Android device with at least a 4 inch touchscreen, Android 2.1, and a Snapdragon.

They're releasing an HSPA+ device in H2 of this year, can't wait to see what it is.

So I've been wanting an Xperia X10 for the last half year now, and my carrier (Rogers) is finally getting them this week. Just getting everyone else's opinions on the phone before I order it because I don't want to be locked into a 3-yr contract (and don't quite have the cash to buy it unlocked) and be stuck with an inferior phone.

I'm not familiar with the device, but 3 year contract? It's bad enough that all the carriers around here do 2 years. Do you have any other options? Modern phones are not exactly durable.

Personally, I wouldn't take such a long contract. 12-18 months would be better.

I'm not familiar with the device, but 3 year contract? It's bad enough that all the carriers around here do 2 years. Do you have any other options? Modern phones are not exactly durable.

Yeah, the 3-yr option is if you want the phone itself at the lowest price. For a 1 or 2-yr contract, you would be paying more for the phone.

That's all well and good but 3 years from now your phone will be quite "inferior" if not broken!

Yeah, the 3-yr option is if you want the phone itself at the lowest price. For a 1 or 2-yr contract, you would be paying more for the phone.
Is the difference that big? Have you done all the calculations around this? I have only once used a phone longer than 2 years and that is the 1st iPhone which was substantially updated through these 2 years.
I am also in the market for an android phone and I have set my sight on the Desire. I have considered the X10, but that seems rather big with a 4" screen, has no multi-touch and battery life is pitiful, while the price is ok at 460 euro.