The Android thread

What does the phone say is eating the battery life?

In my case it's the display, usually between 55 and 70%.

I love the fact we have that info readily available.

:( Girlfriend is having issues with her HTC Incredible, it's freezing up when taking pictures and is eating through the battery like nothing (I got her the 1500mah one and its lasting less than the 1300mah one). Looks like there may be some sort of a loop running at all times. Looks like its gonna have to go back to VZ for replacement. Kinda wishing it had something like iTunes to do a restore right now :/

For the camera part, make sure she's not hitting any of the side buttons, especially the volume buttons, on accident while taking a picture. That's one of the causes of freezing or cancelling the picture. Learned that the hard way after it doing the same for me on my Inc, and researched it on androidforums. If that doesn't fix anything, then it might be broke. Either take it back, or wait for Froyo, which hopefully will be soon since HTC's released it for a number of their other phones, as that possibly might fix it.

What does the phone say is eating the battery life?
Android system is 65-70%
For the camera part, make sure she's not hitting any of the side buttons, especially the volume buttons, on accident while taking a picture. That's one of the causes of freezing or cancelling the picture. Learned that the hard way after it doing the same for me on my Inc, and researched it on androidforums. If that doesn't fix anything, then it might be broke. Either take it back, or wait for Froyo, which hopefully will be soon since HTC's released it for a number of their other phones, as that possibly might fix it.
I'll be mindful of the buttons I press (I can reproduce the issue pretty easily myself) I think it might be the calendar actually, I killed all the running software (outside of the core ofc) and started shit one by one after I started calendar I was able to freeze the camera. I was thinking of waiting for the Froyo update to see what happens, assuming they wont take too long to release it since the phone has SenseUI

HTC claims Froyo update for "new" Sense phones in Q3 (which starts tomorrow).

Sorry, no official Froyo for Hero, only Eclair. Look into Cyanogenmod.

Finally just rooted, re-partitioned, and flashed my G1 to Cyanogenmod.

ITS SO FAST :D:D:D:D:D

Hooray!

I am definitely going to root/flash once CM6 is out and stable. 2.2 is nice, but I've not been blown away, and I expect nothing less from THE Google phone.

JIT compiler is nice. Benchmarks return up to 6x more mFlops than with 2.1. It's insane!

Yeah, and it's definitely speedier, and I'm very pleased with built-in tethering and auto-updating. Still, I can't get over the performance increase I've seen the Droid and Moment get and I want in on some of that.

So no 2.2 Update for Moment planned by Sprint, officially. That means Cyanogen fo sho in the next few weeks when I get time.

It really didn't take me long on my G1, and I've never rooted or messed about with a smartphone before. I wish you all the same luck that I had!

I admit I am tempted as well, let me know how it works out on your Moment (I have a Hero).

So no 2.2 Update for Moment planned by Sprint, officially. That means Cyanogen fo sho in the next few weeks when I get time.
Mind doing a step-by-step when you do it?

Sorry, no official Froyo for Hero, only Eclair. Look into Cyanogenmod.

Cyanogenmod for the hero, at least the sprint one, is shit. Especially as they haven't updated it since they first released it and it's stuck on 1.5. There is an unofficial AOSP Froyo release that currently is only lacking GPS and camera support.

I admit I am tempted as well, let me know how it works out on your Moment (I have a Hero).

I have a sprint hero. My recommendation is to upgrade to 2.1 (but get the older official release version .5, the latest one has no root), root it then install Autokiller. Autokiller requires root but it reconfigures the internal app/memory management with standard presents or ones you want to custom setup. I currently have mine on the "moderate" setting and the phone runs EXACTLY how it should have from the factory. I installed swype as well to make 1 handed texted nearly awesome.

Last edited:
I'm already on the stock 2.1 ROM, and it's fine, I just like to have the latest and greatest if available. Honestly if it's not easy then I won't bother, the phone does everything I want it to do and more.

For the Hero I can only recommend VillainROM's 2.1 release (based on the official one) it's both faster and more functional, and from my experience with autokiller the battery lasts longer too.

Got the OTA update to 2.2 frf91 for my N1 this morning, runs great.

I am not sure I see the speed increase in the various apps I use, but I love flash support, multi-color trackball notification, and other small tweaks.