The Android thread

NAND works perfectly on my HD2. Getting better battery than SD versions. BTW I am on cotulla's build.

Any recommendations for an Android flac player?

PlayerPro is great, PowerAmp is my favorite so far, but it costs $4.99.

Something free would be good. For some reason I thought winamp played flac.

Cool. Might trial poweramp first and see whether I like it. I have heard about it quiet a bit.

The only multimedia app I have atm is rockplayer, and for some reason my version just doesn't like playing flac. Its also very slow on playing back MP4 and FLV files.

Last edited:
Cool. Might trial poweramp first and see whether I like it. I have heard about it quiet a bit.

The only multimedia app I have atm is rockplayer, and for some reason my version just doesn't like playing flac. Its also very slow on playing back MP4 and FLV files.

Poweramp is great, best music player in my opinion.

I like Vplayer, but read the touch controls first. I got confused by the brightness going up by itself. :lol:

Quadrant scores of the Galaxy S with Froyo 2.2.1...

... and the Voodoo lagfix on top of it...

Apparently the Voodoo lagfix doesn't boost the file system as extremely as the OCLF and the like, but I read that the file system Voodoo uses is much safer, and that the OCLF sacrifices safety for pure speed.

I wasn't sure whether a lagfix makes sense at all with 2.2.1, but I must say that every operation which involves a lot of data I/O is noticeably faster with Voodoo. Very snappy experience now.

That said, I must question these benchmarks in general, because my previous setup (Eclair 2.1 with OCLF) scored 2171 points, but it felt significantly sloppier than it does now with a score of only 1533.

Last edited:
Why is your CPU score so low?
Can't tell you to be honest. CPU score is twice as high as it was with 2.1, but nowhere near the Nexus one 2.2+. I didn't find any data on the net to compare yet.

I'm trying to figure out if i should do an upgrade to another phone atm haha.

Though i'll have to wait since Rogers doesn't have such a big selection on high-end android smartphones, just the Galaxy S Captivate :/

The Captivate is nice, will be much better with official 2.2.1(even better with stable CM), but it's worth waiting to see what comes out in the next few months, unless phones take much longer to get to Canada.

Well in terms of how long it takes for phones to get here, it really depends on the provider, but since i'm with Rogers, it seems like they usually follow up on world releases for some phones.

The X10 which i have pretty much came out when it was released everywhere else in the world in March/April, but the Captivate took till September/October to get released on Rogers while the other variants seemed to have beat them but at least a month or two.

I just wished that the Captivate had LED Flash, LED Notification, Power button at the top instead and a different battery cover [instead of the fake carbon fiber look] haha.

Other than that, its pretty much a decent phone. Though i do like HTC Sense UI, which Rogers doesn't carry any HTC phones anymore besides the outdated HTC Magic+ due to the 911 issue that the Magic and Dream had, i'd get a HTC phone in a heartbeat if Rogers offered the newer ones.

No LED flash is a major problem for me, almost a dealbreaker forcing me back to the Nexus. To me, the back cover somehow really doesn't look like carbon fiber, and I love the fact that it's metal and locks in.

LED Flash is a nice feature, for photos and well as a flashlight haha.

So i guess i'll wait to see what comes by but, really need to replace the X10, calls getting dropped even when sitting in one place on speakerphone [signal at 2-3 bars]. Replaced the SIM card also, no difference, guess i might have to reinstall the OS... a pain since i lose a few things haha.