The Android thread

I'd be getting the 16GB model as well, you can still put in an SD card for extra storage.
The portability of it combined with the impressive battery life is what would make it perfect to carry to uni with me, carrying a 15" laptop with extra battery isn't all that useful :p
I'm just worried it would still be overkill given that I have a perfectly fine laptop that I wouldn't want to get rid of, but I don't think I can justify spending ?500 without selling it.

Even a 32GB Class 10 SD card is only like $50 these days, I don't see why anyone would not just buy the 16GB version.

Well, unless someone desperately needs more than 48GB total space... but that is definitely overkill for a tablet.

Even a 32GB Class 10 SD card is only like $50 these days, I don't see why anyone would not just buy the 16GB version.

Well, unless someone desperately needs more than 48GB total space... but that is definitely overkill for a tablet.

That's exactly what I just bought, 32 GB Class 10. It was $41 which wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought it would be. And it's not overkill when most of your internal storage is consumed by the giant blob that is Windows :p

On an Android tablet I would probably be fine with just the 16 GB, though maybe it could be filled with video.

I've been tempted to buy an Acer Iconia tablet for the past week but after watching some guy's review on YouTube I'm not any more. It seemed pretty good until he put on a full HD movie trailer. The Iconia handled it terribly. For comparison he showed the same trailer on the Xoom and it played fine.

I've been tempted to buy an Acer Iconia tablet for the past week but after watching some guy's review on YouTube I'm not any more. It seemed pretty good until he put on a full HD movie trailer. The Iconia handled it terribly. For comparison he showed the same trailer on the Xoom and it played fine.
Full HD meaning 1080p? Unless you plug into an external display, that's just a waste of storage space. Besides, the Iconia is quite a bit cheaper.

I've heard that the Tegra 2 chip has trouble with 1080p video depending on how it's encoded, it won't play smoothly if the bitrate is too high. But that wouldn't explain why the Xoom handled it well as that too runs the Tegra 2 SOC.

I have to echo the post above though, that one thing is a dealbreaker for you? There is no benefit to playing 1080 files on a screen of that resolution, and as far as streaming content like trailers you can find them all in 720p as well.

Full HD meaning 1080p? Unless you plug into an external display, that's just a waste of storage space. Besides, the Iconia is quite a bit cheaper.

I wouldn't mind being able to watch full HD videos on an external display. It has a mini-HDMI port after all.

I have to echo the post above though, that one thing is a dealbreaker for you? There is no benefit to playing 1080 files on a screen of that resolution, and as far as streaming content like trailers you can find them all in 720p as well.

Well to be honest, I'd really like to get a 10 inch tablet from HTC, but so far they are only rumours and speculation. I'm an incredibly impatient person and the fact that the Iconia is the only 10 inch Honeycomb tablet available in Australia at the moment that isn't sold through a carrier is why I was tempted to buy it. I would use a tablet primarily as a multimedia device, so not handling video very well is more than enough to rid me of temptation at least until the Xoom gets here next month.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind being able to watch full HD videos on an external display. It has a mini-HDMI port after all.

Well to be honest, I'd really like to get a 10 inch tablet from HTC, but so far they are only rumours and speculation. I'm an incredibly impatient person and the fact that the Iconia is the only 10 inch Honeycomb tablet available in Australia at the moment that isn't sold through a carrier is why I was tempted to buy it. I would use a tablet primarily as a multimedia device, so not handling video very well is more than enough to rid me of temptation at least until the Xoom gets here next month.

Does it have to be a HTC? I know, they've built quite a name for themselves for how solid their devices are (I've owned 2 htc devices, and am (stupidly) lusting after the HTC Merge) but they're not the be all and end all. More and more I think they're becoming the "Toyota" of the tech world: resting on their laurels a bit with the physical designs of the handsets and Sense, and becoming less "cool" by adopting encrypted bootloaders, but knowing that everyone will buy and praise their products like a fat kid in a candy store.

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be an HTC, which is why I was tempted to buy the Iconia and will be tempted again soon by the Xoom. But I would really like to see what HTC have in store for us first.

It doesn't have to be an HTC, which is why I was tempted to buy the Iconia and will be tempted again soon by the Xoom. But I would really like to see what HTC have in store for us first.

Ahh, gotcha. :cool:

My Desire was away being repaired recently and I bought a cheap Android phone to use while it was gone. I really missed Sense and some of its widgets. I also like that HTC (in their new Sensation phone and Puccini tablet) have opted for Qualcomm's dual-core Snapdragon processor instead of jumping on the Nvidia Tegra 2 bandwagon like everyone else. The Qualcomm processor will be clocked at 1.2Ghz in the Sensation and 1.5Ghz in the Puccini. Unlike the Tegra 2, each core is individually powered and can be clocked at different speeds.

I can see where you got that "Toyota" idea from. HTC were a little disappointing at MWC and have been slow off the mark with dual-core phones and with tablets. The new "S" versions of the Desire, Wildfire and Incredible seemed to be mostly cosmetic updates. The Flyer 7 inch tab only being Gingerbread (rather than Honeycomb) and single-core also makes it seem a little like they aren't as cutting edge as they used to be. However, once you consider that they were waiting for the dual-core Snapdragons, it changes things a little bit. I think they were opting to make sure that they got the components they wanted rather than rushing to the market with parts they don't trust. As for the Flyer, HTC have explained that they wen't for the 1.5Ghz single-core instead of the Tegra 2 because most of the apps people would use on it aren't designed to work with dual-core processors anyway. I've had the 7 inch Galaxy Tab for a few weeks now and I don't really think a tablet of that size needs Honeycomb, especially when it has a custom UI like TouchWiz or Sense. Besides, it will probably be upgraded to Ice Cream sandwich eventually anyway.

Edit: Oh, and its been suggested that "Puccini" is just an HTC codename. Here's hoping that is correct!!!

Last edited:
OK so this has been annoying me and I was curious if this is the problem specific to Captivate on 2.1 firmware or if this is general Android issue. I have a company phone which is a Captivate and EVERY time I have to change the e-mail password (which is the same as domain and that needs to be changed once a month or so) half the time it will tell me password is incorrect even tho I know its not true and when it finally recognizes it it will take close to a full day to start syncing with e-mails. I generally use my private phone (iP4) for work e-mails since it saves me having to carry two phones at all times and I don't see that issue on it so I'm certain this is not down to our e-mail system (both use same settings, same servers, etc...). Oh and also this is a second Captivate that I got from the company, first one had same issues and quite a few more.

Anyone else experience this?

Will they let you use third party e-mail apps? I don't use my phone for work, but I hear great things about K-9.

The new "S" versions of the Desire, Wildfire and Incredible seemed to be mostly cosmetic updates.

Still better than my X10 with its lowly optimized firmware :p

Which is why i'm trying to get an Incredible S BNIB, found one for $350!

OK so this has been annoying me and I was curious if this is the problem specific to Captivate on 2.1 firmware or if this is general Android issue. I have a company phone which is a Captivate and EVERY time I have to change the e-mail password (which is the same as domain and that needs to be changed once a month or so) half the time it will tell me password is incorrect even tho I know its not true and when it finally recognizes it it will take close to a full day to start syncing with e-mails. I generally use my private phone (iP4) for work e-mails since it saves me having to carry two phones at all times and I don't see that issue on it so I'm certain this is not down to our e-mail system (both use same settings, same servers, etc...). Oh and also this is a second Captivate that I got from the company, first one had same issues and quite a few more.

Anyone else experience this?

It wouldn't surprise me if either case were true. I unfortunately end up flashing a new ROM before getting to the point where I have to change my Exchange/Domain password.

I second Smib's suggestion about third party solutions. I've heard people swear by both TouchDown and K-9.

Will they let you use third party e-mail apps? I don't use my phone for work, but I hear great things about K-9.

I tried K9 out it had same issues, it would appear that the K-9 client uses the OS's Exchange protocol just gives you a diff interface.

Does anyone use Evernote here? Do you know if they truly have offline notes or not? I thought they did, but it seems you have to manually download each note first (ie. clicking and viewing the note on Android) before it is "cached", instead of syncing as a whole ie. Catch. That is stupid and time-consuming, but I do like their Windows desktop app (which afaik no other "note" company has done).

Forgot all about FG's Tech section. ><

Splashed some money on a Xperia arc for myself, with an online rebate of $30 off from my telco the phone costs SGD $218. My Milestone battery life has officially fallen off the cliff, i barely get 8 hours without much usage.

Does anyone use Evernote here? Do you know if they truly have offline notes or not? I thought they did, but it seems you have to manually download each note first (ie. clicking and viewing the note on Android) before it is "cached", instead of syncing as a whole ie. Catch. That is stupid and time-consuming, but I do like their Windows desktop app (which afaik no other "note" company has done).

Ahem:
Microsoft-OneNote-2010.jpg

:p

I do wish Microsoft would get off their ass and push out an Android app. They already have one for iOS.

Also: http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/18/...up-for-pre-order-at-jandr-makes-june-8th-see/

It's pretty cool that there's finally a legit iPod Touch competitor for Android fans. Sure Archos has decent hardware, but they just couldn't combine all the good stuff into one place (capacitive touchscreen, official Android Market support) to get the masses to bite.

$270 Nexus One deal has arisen again, this time on a sister site of the one I posted before. Not a time limit this time, but a stock limit.