The Android thread

so 2.3 came out for the Droid X. i have a 2 Global, which i got so i could use it overseas, but i'm still in the return window so should i switch to get gingerbread now? i love my phone, but gingrbread would make it so much better.

Wait it out, that phone's going to get Gingerbread. Gingerbread isn't THAT big of a deal visually (your MAP skin will change significantly though..for the better- It's kinda nice in GB).

The biggest difference IMO is a bit of a performance boost as GB closes apps that run in the background more aggressively than in Froyo, and other tweaks like concurrent garbage collection. http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.3-highlights.html

That said, if you don't plan on using it overseas, found you haven't used the physical keyboard much, and want the largest screen possible on VZW atm, w/out LTE, then the X is a solid choice, if X2 is in your price range...you might want to consider that.

I am getting more and more tempted by the Xperia Play, I enjoyed my PSP for quite a while. It just needs to go somewhere other than Verizon :(

I guess I'm stuck in this contract for a while anyway so we'll see where things are in 10 months.

I am getting more and more tempted by the Xperia Play, I enjoyed my PSP for quite a while. It just needs to go somewhere other than Verizon :(

Even I can't justify that, why go with a sliding phone, that has controls you'll use a few times a week that you're gonna be stuck with for 2 years?
The only point of a sliding phone is a physical keyboard.

I would also use it as a portable gaming system, which I don't normally carry around with me but this way I could. The larger form factor doesn't really bother me, my cell phone gets its own dedicated pocket.

The Android playstation store, 'might' have some reveal at e3.
They 'might' announce some decent games.

The recent mentioning of the Zune software here piqued my interest. I quite like it. Rather slick, sounds better than WMP(which seems odd to me), and is generally nice. My only issue is no widgets or alternate skins for the mini player.

The recent mentioning of the Zune software here piqued my interest. I quite like it. Rather slick, sounds better than WMP(which seems odd to me), and is generally nice. My only issue is no widgets or alternate skins for the mini player.

hmm sounds better? is there some sound optimization settings perhaps? I know WMP has some but they're buried.

Can't wait to get GB for my Droid X.

Why would people want to use a replacement launcher that looks like Windows Phone 7?

Android homescreens can look so much better than WP7's home screen.

Because WP7 homescreen looks somewhat modern decent out of the box, while with most android launchers you have to sweat a bit until it looks good enough.

But the WP7 home screen is so restrictive.

Apples & oranges. Some people like the minimal stylish UI and display your most used apps without having to tweak around with it too much, some like to have everything displayed for them all at once like you can on Android. It's all a matter of taste.

I quite like it and would even consider switching to WP7 if not for the utter lack of apps.

I was using Launcher7 for a while and I do like the clean look. It was a little short on customizations, be the dev has been improving it and I may switch back. Then again, I'm enjoying SPB Shell for it's folders and weather.

i love my phone, but gingrbread would make it so much better.

Why?

I don't meant to jump down your throat, but lots of people are getting hung up on this versions issue with Android.

You say you bought a Droid 2 Global so you could use it overseas, that's a hardware decision. I'm guessing that phone still shipped with Android 2.2, and if you look at the changelog you'll see not nearly enough things were updated with Gingerbread 2.3 to make you swap out your hardware (even if there's no penalty since you just bought it recently).

Some Android updates are major and some aren't. Unfortunately bitching about Android fragmentation has become all too popular among tech journalists so they don't tell you what this actually means with every version, so you're better off checking out the improvements and new features to see for yourself. In this case I would say the move from 2.2 to 2.3 is nowhere near major enough to influence my hardware decisions.

honestly, i've heard the battery life with GB is much better and that's a killer for my as of right now.

That's quite possible. But again Google didn't do too much with power management in 2.3 from what I know, though your manufacturer could very well roll other fixes into the OS update if you're waiting on the official release.

At least I think they can mix OS updates and specific device fixes from the carrier or manufacturer.

Thats great, makes me have an even greater incentive to buy the HTC Incredible S later this/next week. Apparently someones willing to sell a BNIB (have to unlock myself) for $350. They won it from a contest and it hasn't come yet. Hope they're not BS or else have to find another one for $350 (usually listed at that price few times a week anyhow). :D