The Android thread

I love Xiaomi products, but this phone has a ceramic back and I drop my phones a lot.
Ahh. Yeah the first thing any phone goes in is a case for me. I drop shit and stuff falls out of my pockets all the time.

I've not heard of Xiaomi at all till this past Friday, when I saw it in a bar, a high school coleague has it. Though it was some chinese cheapo, as you would with all things chinese :D But he's not someone to have a cheap phone,
and going through it it seemed quick.

Xiaomi is one of the hottest brands in China atm. A ex Googler, Hugo Barra is there as a VP.

Stupid Cacti, I plug my phone in and my phone says 'what do you want charging/pics/midi' I click charge.

It doesn't charge, I click the battery icon it says battery saver isn't available while charging... But it isn't charging. My buddies s5 charged straight away.

I assume I'll need to get a basic charge cable and not a sync one.

Last edited:
Definitely looking like a neat and useful device.

For household use, this actually looks really interesting:

My biggest issue with that is that you need to have the big block and enough room to set it back to display. I know theres not real way around that but thats my biggest issue with things like that. If i could mount the projector on a wall/ceiling, it would be a bunch more useful.

The "enough room" is pretty much a non-issue with short- throw projectors. 10-ish inches away from the wall gets you a 80" screen.

Have you missed that much history? Get a life, maybe you will be less annoying.

Whats your beef with Linus? I know he can be kinda kooky and prone to hyperbole and most of their crew is a bit inexperience/innept in the DIY area, but he seems like a genuinely nice guy and puts out some good information. He is also one of the few guys out there willing to push past the tech companies PR speak and get real answers (and still leaves them smiling and happy to advertise with him). At the big trade shows, half of the tech reports seem to involve him taking off display covers or ignoring stanchions to get a closer look at stuff.

Maybe I'm missing the joke or something.

I have to say, It is funny watching him drop irreplaceable one off prototypes by accident.

Last edited:
I don't like his pink car. Other than that, Linus seems okay to me.

Ok...thats true....socks and Sandals anywhere outside of camping and having to pee in the middle of the night is pretty unforgivable.

Google Maps is being a bastard.
I use this every second of the day for work, lately if I go on a long journey 100+ miles, she goes bananas. She will either be 3-5 miles ahead, or behind. The map is accurate, but the top left directions and her aren't. The last 5 miles of my last journey, I thought it's ok, I can just use the map.... "You have arrived at your destination, so fuck you here's the end screen" <_<

I've recalibrated the compass.