The Australian politics/election/whatever thread

I don't know if it is all that bad. The 4 independents are a reasonable bunch. With any luck, they will help Abbott form a government and lock the Greens out of policy dictation. Their (the independents) main agenda is stimulus and infrastructure for rural Australia, which isn't such a bad thing. The Senate though is a worry .. any legislation that gets though there will have to laced with lots of "sustainable", "ethnocentric", "inclusive", "responsible" and other empty wank-words to get the Greens approval.

I like this outcome, it means the Libs and Labor will have trouble pushing through stupid policy.

What you'll get is stupid policy plus stupid independent policy that they needed to cut a deal with to get it through parliment

I'm betting a minor Labor government- the independents have already said they will side with whoever will be most likely to form a "stable" government- not only is Labor the current government (changing political parties at any time has some level of destabilisation), there is no way I can see the Greens siding with the Coalition in the Senate (and whoever gets the support of the Senate balance of power seats is favoured by these independents apparently). So probably a minority labor gov't until the Greens and Independents start getting a bit too demanding and another election is called. I give them 18 months.

I'm hoping a minority Liberal government government is formed. Without the support of the Greens in the Senate - which they won't have - they won't be able to enact any legislation. And as PM, people will realise that Tony Abbott will be the worst PM this country has ever had, and toss him at the next election, hopefully in about 18 months.

I'm hoping a minority Liberal government government is formed. Without the support of the Greens in the Senate - which they won't have - they won't be able to enact any legislation. And as PM, people will realise that Tony Abbott will be the worst PM this country has ever had, and toss him at the next election, hopefully in about 18 months.

Whilst that would be nice, I don't want the country to stagnate for 18 months and it is more likely that the libs will chuck Turnbull in the top seat and try to get him to play the "I supported climate change policies!!!" card. And Turnbull is MUCH worse than Abbott IMO.

And budgets would have to be put through fairly soon into the next government term methinks, so it would be likely for that to be blocked (ala Whitlam) to get Abbott out methinks.

I doubt Labour would ever block supply in the Senate. If they did, they would owe Malcolm Fraser the mother of all apologies.

On a side note: right now would be the perfect time to invade and take over Australia. Just sayin'.

^^ yep .. the weather is just right .. don't want to invade in summer .. too hot, stingers in the water and cyclones up north.

Unfortunately, the Greens are a little too pragmatic and fair-minded to just block anything that the Coalition wants to do. Thry won't betray their core ideals, but they will try to work with whoever forms government.

On a side note: right now would be the perfect time to invade and take over Australia. Just sayin'.

While we are waitong to find out what will happen, we still have a caretaker Prime Minister who can take care of things.

This is why I love our system of government. Even if everything goes to hell, we still have a Governor-General to sort it out for us.

Can someone explain to me why there are blue (Coalition) dots in the red Labor circle? For example Moreton has 43% Liberal and 36% Labor but it's on the Labor side?

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/re/redbull/2010/08/22/election.JPG

The colour of the dots represents - somewhat misleadingly - the primary vote for that electorate. The blue dots are in Labor's circle because Labor won the seat after preferences. Taking Moreton for example, most of the Greens' 15% would have been preferenced to labor, giving the lead in two-party votes.

This is why I love our system of government. Even if everything goes to hell, we still have a Governor-General to sort it out for us.

And of course, we can always send Queenie to kick some arse.

Of course, probably not going to go down to well now that everyone realizes that the governor general's daughter is married to a labor powerbroker

And of course, we can always send Queenie to kick some arse.

Damn right! :lol:

Of course, probably not going to go down to well now that everyone realizes that the governor general's daughter is married to a labor powerbroker

I don't think that will matter and neither do any of the political commentators I've heard report the fact. Ultimately, as the sitting PM, Julia Gillard gets the first chance to try to form a government anyway. She has to either tell Her Excellency that Labor can form a government or resign as PM, at which point Abbott will be invited to try.

Damn right! :lol:

I don't think that will matter and neither do any of the political commentators I've heard report the fact. Ultimately, as the sitting PM, Julia Gillard gets the first chance to try to form a government anyway. She has to either tell Her Excellency that Labor can form a government or resign as PM, at which point Abbott will be invited to try.

Regardless of if she is actually influenced or not, it's always going to appear as if she was influenced. In theory she actually has the power to directly appoint a PM

Yes, but if she appoints the wrong one (the one without the support of the majority of members) they will be thrown out by a vote of no-confidence, at which point she'll have to appoint the other one as PM.

I can't be the only one who would rather go back to the polls to try again than be dictated by a few independents,