The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

No way can that jet get even close to supersonic speeds. My guess its a radome

No way can that jet get even close to supersonic speeds. My guess its a radome

Considering the Radar AEW Trials, and Marconi Avionics markings, I'd say that's a safe guess...

Bunch of F-15s just flew over Wrigley Field, and seeing as I live slightly north of Wrigley directly over my apartment. Quite enjoyed that.

now that's a chin

0784373.jpg

That Comet was a testbed for the failed Nimrod AEW Mk.3 program. The idea was sound, the biggest problem was that the computer technology of the day simply wasn't up to the task of stitching together the information from the radars. Also, the Nimrod was not the best choice in terms of airframe - there simply wasn't enough space on board for the radars and their associated systems.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2011/05/30/red_arrows_over_athens_ii_by_horexakias-d3h73fh.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2011/05/30/red_arrows_over_athens_i_by_horexakias-d3h744u.jpg

That Comet was a testbed for the failed Nimrod AEW Mk.3 program. The idea was sound, the biggest problem was that the computer technology of the day simply wasn't up to the task of stitching together the information from the radars. Also, the Nimrod was not the best choice in terms of airframe - there simply wasn't enough space on board for the radars and their associated systems.

Spectacularly failed! The Nimrod AEW is usually very high on any list of modern military program failures (usually behind the A-12 and Typhon). The idea wasn't that sound and from what I understand the RAF wanted E-3's to replace the elderly Shackleton's but were forced to waste money developing that POS.

Spectacularly failed! The Nimrod AEW is usually very high on any list of modern military program failures (usually behind the A-12 and Typhon). The idea wasn't that sound and from what I understand the RAF wanted E-3's to replace the elderly Shackleton's but were forced to waste money developing that POS.

That pretty much sums up my understanding of the Nimrod AEW as well.

I think the figure ?800 million down the drain rings a bell, but I may be wrong if could be more.

:rolleyes:

The concept behind the Nimrod AEW was sound - in fact, the concept of how the radars operated with each other forms the basis of nearly every AEW platform created since then. As I mentioned, the computers of the time weren't up to the task, and the amount of cabin volume, electrical generation and cooling all the systems needed far exceeded what the Nimrod airframe was capable of. The biggest reason why the project was a failure was the stubbornness of the UK government. They wanted a product "Made in Britain for the British people", which caused them to waste a ton of money on a project that was technically unfeasible at the time even though there was a better performing alternative, the E-3, available from the get-go (which was the aircraft that the RAF wanted in the first place).

Last edited:
MemorialonMtSuribachi.jpg

Last edited:

Oh, how I wish the F-14 were still flying. A huge hemorrhage of money for some, but damn, is that thing awesome or what.

I need to go to Iran and steal one. Or something like that.

https://pic.armedcats.net/v/vi/viper007bond/2011/05/31/noreplacement.jpg

Pratt & Whitney Wasp R-2800 Radial Engine, 2800 cubic inches, 18 cylinders, 2,500 HP. No mufflers. One of 4 engines on a DC-6 Freighter. Taken on the ramp of Everts Aviation in Anchorage, Alaska. Still a viable aircraft but the availability of aviation gasoline is becoming a concern.

Speaking of which, you guys ever watch Ice Pilots on History? They fly WWII planes for cargo in the frozen Canadian north. So awesome seeing them fly C-46's, etc.

Filming_FIQM_for_Ice_Pilots.JPG

Last edited:
Speaking of which, you guys ever watch Ice Pilots on History? They fly WWII planes for cargo in the frozen Canadian north. So awesome seeing them fly C-46's, etc.

Yes, I have watched Ice Pilots and it's a great series and posted a link to it way back in this Thread. My favourite story was the ferrying of the two fire fighting CL-215s from Canada to Turkey. (That and all the crazy bush flying.)

:cool:

Last edited:
Ah cool. I hadn't heard of the show until it started airing on National Geographic in HD.

I remember posting it because one of our professional pilots commented the "Big Joe" had a bit of a reputation in the business. :lol: