The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

I've always been partial to the Thunderbirds, although now I'm a bit biased. :p

Back in 2003 the T-birds, Blue Angels, and Canadian Snowbirds were all at the Dayton air show and that was too awesome to put into words. And I got to see it all for all 4 days of the event. :cool: Surprisingly the Snowbirds stole the show. They were magnificent!

:jawdrop:

All three? No way! I hate you. I've only ever seen the Snowbirds, and for the first five years of my life I lived in Comox where the Snowbirds go to practice over the ocean. I've seen those white and red tutors so many times, but I will never tire of them. Trainers are a better a fit for an aerobatic team than front line fighters anyways because they don't just disappear over the horizon in half a second :p (and cheaper planes = more planes in the air = more awesomer) But still, I imagine the noise from the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels must be incredible.

Here are some highlights of that amazing show. Linky. I completely forgot about John Travolta stopping by in his 707.

3333041267_01cfc11f63_o.jpg

Awesome.

99442398BRsfDF_fs.jpg

bring pics or it didn't happen

I just read that the new terminal at our airport (phase 1 of 2 is almost done) will be able to take A380s. I so want one of those behemoths to fly over my house :drool:

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but this B-29 is (purportedly) haunted.

b29full2.jpg

This is the claimed home of "Arthur", a spirit from the past that seems to have a connection with the B-29 located at the Castle Air Museum in Atwater, California. We don't know if that is his real name, but upon researching this site for past activity, we came across some interesting stories.

"Raz'n Hell", as the plane's nose art indicates is the plane's name, is actually made up of pieces of three separate aircraft of the same model, gathered from the Naval Weapons Center located at China Lake. As far as I can tell, these parts were not exposed to, or had participated in, any nuclear testing. This is important as you will see later.

One of the stories is that the restoration crew was going to look into the electrical system of the plane and see if it was possible to get any running, or landing lights, working on it. A person that works there was driving by the museum on his way home and noticed the running lights were lit. Impressed, he stopped by the museum the next day to congratulate the crew only to find out that they not gotten the lights working. In fact, they hadn't even worked on them!

On several instances there have been reports of a shadowy figure seen moving around the cockpit only to find, upon inspection, that no one was, or had been, in the plane. Another reported experience tells of one of the workers restoring the plane had asked his buddy to hand him a wrench. He felt the wrench in his hand, only to see his co-worker outside through the port hole...and no one was in the plane. Was it Arthur giving a "hand"? More recently, one of the employees that run the museum, took an early morning picture of "Raz'n Hell" and found a colored shape that appears at first glance to be the outline of a person.

Link

Great, I just had to read about ghosts before I went to the dark and scary basement to finish doing our laundry.

Last edited:
Great, I just had to read about ghosts before I went to the dark and scary basement to finish doing our laundry.

Maybe you'll get a helpful one and go down to find all of your clothes folded neatly. :p

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but this B-29 is (purportedly) haunted.

kc-97.jpg

Link

Uh, that's a Stratocruiser, not a B-29; note the nose and weird figure-8 fuselage. You sadden me, you're supposed to know your airplanes better than that :no:.

Uh, that's a Stratocruiser, not a B-29; note the nose and weird figure-8 fuselage. You sadden me, you're supposed to know your airplanes better than that :no:.

It's also got the wrong nose art, for starters. Fixed.

plane5.jpg

plane1.jpg

Haunted aircrafts. Reminds me of that haunted 747.

The B-29 is just a cigar with some attached wings.
A quite nondescript shape in my opinion.

The B-29 is just a cigar with some attached wings.
A quite nondescript shape in my opinion.

"A cigar with some attached wings" is quite an aerodynamic shape. That's part of the elegance of the whole thing; in the air, simplicity is beautiful.

^Aside from, say, the guns sticking out :p

Well how many other planes have this?

http://img193.imageshack.**/img193/2340/picture304b.jpg

Air Force tested, KITT approved. :cool: